Australia vs Sri Lanka T20 Game 1: Fri 17 Feb at 7.40pm at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

You think someone should be deported because they happen to not support the same group of 11 blokes in a game/passtime where you throw a leather projectile at one another.

Wow, the ultimate patriot.

See I always thought national identity and pride could be tied to things like a love of our land, our indigenous history, our contribution to the two great wars of our time, our contribution to global culture, our scientific research ect.

But no. It's fawning over a bunch of f***heads in yellow pyjamas that makes you a patriot.
They didn't wear yellow tonight, and it's etc, not ect. There's never been a great war either......

Starc, Warner, Smith, Wade, Hazlewood, Ussie, Marshy etc. And you come up with Matthews and Chandimal? Lovvfl.

Yes.

I replied to your claim that Sri Lanka fielded their best team by correctly pointing out that their two best international players weren't there. There are probably plenty more. That took me a whopping 10 seconds to come up with.

No Herath, mendis, silva or de silva either. Not sure where they fit into their T20 set up but they're all in their best squad.

So stick it chief.

Yes.

I replied to your claim that Sri Lanka fielded their best team by correctly pointing out that their two best international players weren't there. There are probably plenty more. That took me a whopping 10 seconds to come up with.

No Herath, mendis, silva or de silva either. Not sure where they fit into their T20 set up but they're all in their best squad.

So stick it chief.
Probably plenty more.....??? That's convincing.....

Really using rankings to make a point. Australia aren't the second best team in test cricket. Maybe are in Odis and t20i I don't think anyone gives a rat s**t.

You could say they're as everything is stuffed.

To be fair there isn't much between the top 5 in test cricket.

Lets cut to the chase, the top 5 all flog everyone at home, then get walloped away from home. It will be the same with us in India.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, as South Africa have highlighted by not winning an away series against a good opponent since their last away series against a good opponent.

South Africa and England (to a degree) would be the two I'd rate ahead of the others for this reason. They actually win away from home a bit. SA have had such an underrated side for years (honestly can't believe people don't have this side close to the very best sides in the last 50 years)

Really using rankings to make a point. Australia aren't the second best team in test cricket. Maybe are in Odis and t20i I don't think anyone gives a rat s**t.

You could say they're as everything is stuffed.

Given that the ICC rankings are a direct reflection of actual results over an extended period, it's kind of odd how instantly dismissive people are of them.

That aside, what I mentioned is more just an illustration of how people greatly exaggerate our "plight". We might not be the bulletproof dominant world-beaters we were in the early 2000s, but we're far from terrible, and in fact still firmly among the best teams in the world. I don't think a couple of losses in limited overs matches without our best side on the park are cause for great concern.

Given that the ICC rankings are a direct reflection of actual results over an extended period, it's kind of odd how instantly dismissive people are of them.

That aside, what I mentioned is more just an illustration of how people greatly exaggerate our "plight". We might not be the bulletproof dominant world-beaters we were in the early 2000s, but we're far from terrible, and in fact still firmly among the best teams in the world. I don't think a couple of losses in limited overs matches without our best side on the park are cause for great concern.
We got smashed in Sri Lanka. Looked terrible against South Africa. Beat mediocre packitan team. Yeah the rankings are a good reflection of where test cricket is at. The rankings are reflecting of our performances 4 years ago

South Africa and England (to a degree) would be the two I'd rate ahead of the others for this reason. They actually win away from home a bit. SA have had such an underrated side for years (honestly can't believe people don't have this side close to the very best sides in the last 50 years)

Statistically their 06-16 side won more regularly than the great West Indies side, and avoided defeat more regularly than the great Australian side.

They have a rightful claim at having arguably the third best dynasty of all time.

Their away veneer took a bit of a battering courtesy of the flogging they got in India admittedly.

So I watched No Country For Old Men on SBS last night. When it finished I switched over to Nine and caught the final over.

What did I see?

A crap piece of fielding; a half decent throw would have had the guy run out easily. A properly decent throw would have had the guy out by half the length of the pitch.

The final delivery with the field all up certainly was screaming for a juicy half volley one foot outside off stump. Or at least that's what the bowler must have thought.

Oh well, at least I saw a really good film.

The issue with the side last night was, once again, we had the keeper in a batting position he is zero use in. We went in with 10 players - I don't mean to be disrespectful to Paine, but if he plays, he has to open. Which means Klinger should really have missed out for team balance.

We simply don't know how to put a cohesive T20i side on the park. Langer should know how to do this.

The issue with the side last night was, once again, we had the keeper in a batting position he is zero use in. We went in with 10 players - I don't mean to be disrespectful to Paine, but if he plays, he has to open. Which means Klinger should really have missed out for team balance.

We simply don't know how to put a cohesive T20i side on the park. Langer should know how to do this.

The problem is, we really don't have a keeper that can keep well AND play the lower order hitter role effectively.

The problem is, we really don't have a keeper that can keep well AND play the lower order hitter role effectively.
Which is why we should have one open. Dunk/Paine, either way. Better off focusing on team balance rather than just blindly picking the best 11 players as we normally do (obvs they aren't available for this series).

Which is why we should have one open. Dunk/Paine, either way. Better off focusing on team balance rather than just blindly picking the best 11 players as we normally do (obvs they aren't available for this series).

This is the way to go for the next two games:

Finch
Paine/Dunk
Klinger
Head
Henriques
Turner
Faulkner
Cummins
Zampa
Stanlake/Richardson
Tye

I don't see how Paine coming in at number 7 had such a big effect on the outcome. The 5th wicket fell on the 5th ball of the 19th over, so there were 7 balls remaining when he came out to bat. Paine didn't face a ball and was run out on the third-last ball of the innings, due to him sacrificing his wicket for the sake of a possible extra run. The replacement batsman, Cummins, also didn't face a ball in the innings.

More generally, where is the evidence that Paine is consistently far worse T20 batsman if batting at number 7, when compared to his record as an opener? I'm not sure why Paine "has to open".

Last edited:
This is the way to go for the next two games:

Finch
Paine/Dunk
Klinger
Head
Henriques
Turner
Faulkner
Cummins
Zampa
Stanlake/Richardson
Tye

I see that side as having more bowling options than necessary:
Tye, (Stanlake/Richardson), Zampa, Cummins, Faulkner (5 frontline bowlers)
Turner, Henriques, Head (6th, 7th and 8th bowling options).

I'd prefer to leave out the Stanlake/Richardson option and improve the batting depth:

Finch
Dunk
Klinger
Head
Henriques
Turner
Paine
Faulkner
Cummins
Zampa
Tye

This side would still have 4 frontline bowlers, as well as Henriques, Head and Turner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back