Test Australia Women vs England Women Test Match. Manuka Oval, Canberra, Jan 27-30.

Remove this Banner Ad

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
Looking forward to watching our Baggy Green girls take on the old enemy in the only pure format the sport has.

Now that all elite female cricketing nations have been granted Test status we can expect to see far more matches played in the future. There needs to be a push now too for all nations to introduce a red ball domestic competition in order to hone their skills to Test match level. Hoping Australia leads the way.

Last edited:

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Disappointing that it's still 4 days, almost hope there's no result so they have to address it.

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
Beth Mooney is on track to make a surprise return for the Ashes Test at Manuka Oval on Thursday, less than two weeks after undergoing surgery on a fractured jaw. So who makes the Test squad. I think we are one batter short. Bring in Redmayne for batting/keeping cover.
A piece of trivia. What two in that squad do not average @30 from 10 Tests between them.

Aust. X1
Mooney (if fit)
Healy
Lanning
Haynes
Perry
McGrath
Gardner
Jonassen
Brown
Schutt
King

Update: Mooney has firmed for a berth while tearaway rookie Stella Campbell has replaced the injured Verminck so Brown leaves my X1.

No double guesses who England desperately want to see the back of above all other players.
Ellyse Perry has been dismissed only once in her past 1,016 balls in Test cricket, a period of dominance that started with her unbeaten 213 in the '17/18 home Ashes Test, was followed by scores of 116 and 76* in England 2019 and rounded off by her 68*and 1* against India earlier this summer. An exceptional record by an exceptional cricketer. She averages a lazy @86 at this level.

Last edited:

Toe Poke

All Australian
May 17, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Beth Mooney is on track to make a surprise return for the Ashes Test at Manuka Oval on Thursday, less than two weeks after undergoing surgery on a fractured jaw. So who makes the Test squad. I think we are one batter short. Bring in Redmayne for batting/keeping cover.

I agree with you in theory - that the Ashes squad should have more batting options. However in practice, the Australia A squad is still in Canberra, and as we saw with the injuries to Mooney and Vlaeminck, Grace Harris and Campbell were promoted to the Ashes squad with relative ease. I would expect that it would be fairly easy to promote another player if there was a last-minute unavailability for the test team.

Looking forward a week, the Australia A team finish their ODI series in Canberra on 2 February. So they'll be available for a promotion to the Ashes 1st ODI team if required on 3 February in Canberra. The ease with which players can be promoted to the Ashes squad might get a bit more tricky for the 2nd and 3rd ODIs which will be held in Melbourne.

Looking forward a week, the Australia A team finish their ODI series in Canberra on 2 February. So they'll be available for a promotion to the Ashes 1st ODI team if required on 3 February in Canberra. The ease with which players can be promoted to the Ashes squad might get a bit more tricky for the 2nd and 3rd ODIs which will be held in Melbourne.
Campbell, Villani, Strano, M. Brown and Graham are all following the ODI squad to Melbourne.

Toe Poke

All Australian
May 17, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Campbell, Villani, Strano, M. Brown and Graham are all following the ODI squad to Melbourne.

Yes you're right, I forgot about that
https://www.cricket.com.au/news/aus...ton-molineux-harris-king-selection/2022-01-26

So in response to BaggyGreens: there is plenty of coverage available (from the Australia A squad) for the test match and the 1st ODI in Canberra.
Although not officially in the squad, as stated in the above article, Villani and Graham will be nearby for the 2nd and 3rd ODIs. This is in addition to Grace Harris and Redmayne, who are both in the travelling 17 for the World Cup.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Interesting to see if they go in as named with Mooney at 3 and Lanning at 5.

Sep 11, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Storm|V/OzCricket|NBA-P|NHL-P|V8|F1
Mooney gone too... another nick to the keeper... this sideways movement is making the girls struggle, not surprising... perhaps a good choice from England to bowl first.

They just said Schutt is being rested for the ODI world cup upcoming as she's a bit underdone with regard to her fitness post-injury.

I thought that would likely be factored into things - while good to have her now, we've got a big schedule coming up

I was thinking the 7.5mm of grass left on the pitch would make it tough... but hopefully it'll flatten out as most Aussie grassy wickets do.

Hope it doesn’t. I want a result whatever way that is

If we had to lose days to rain, I'm glad it was during the T20's. Hope we get the full four days in.
We are supposed to have some showers tomorrow, Saturday and Sunday, but it's due in the afternoon, hopefully after the days play is complete.

In fact Saturday it is supposed to be relatively heavy showers (up to 15mm) so it may come in earlier in the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back