Joeys Australian Youth Teams Thread (Joeys, Olyroos, Young Matildas)

How a failed club manager such as Viddie gets a gig is beyond me. Now I know the west Asian sides do well in underage comps but that is inexcusable with the side we have.

Wouldn't be surprised if the FFA appointed Aussie coaches for the sake of trying to develop our next generation of managers. They should be ambitious and just get whoever is the best available (within reason) IMO regardless of whether they are Australian or not.

The Fonz

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2004
Las Vegas
Have to win today and win well.
For a team that hasn't scored a goal in forever, they can't afford to take Vietnam for granted.
Draw will leave them reliant on other results in last round.

Where can I watch this match? is there a stream?

I think you might be able to get a stream off the FFA website - pretty sure the first match was streamed so I presume they all would.

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
This is game is so so important for our youngens. Missing tournaments such as the Olympics stunt our growth. Interesting that jew fro Amini is the captain.

Guessing as one of the 'senior' members in the team and by virtue of playing overseas, he was seen as the best candidate for the job.

Nice touch by the team saying they are playing in Tombides memory. :thumbsu:

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Guessing as one of the 'senior' members in the team and by virtue of playing overseas, he was seen as the best candidate for the job.

Nice touch by the team saying they are playing in Tombides memory. :thumbsu:

He was part of this generation in the Olyroos team so would be emotional for them.

The Fonz

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2004
Las Vegas
Eliminated from the group stage again. Just not good enough :mad:
2 goals in 3 games all of which came against Vietnam. Even Vietnam scored 3 in their 3 games.

Of the 16 teams, only Yemen scored fewer goals.

This is a massive concern for the Socceroos. Nobody coming through.......

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Missing Ikonamidis for this tournament proved the killer blow IMO. Still should've had enough quality to get it done but its very concerning.

I hate to be negative but a definite shake up of the U23 set up is needed. Not only failing to make an impact at the U23 championship but missing out (again) on the Olympics. 2 wins in their last 9 games and only 7 scored (conceding 12) is not good enough.

Vidmar has had a few years with the team now (he oversaw our missed 2012 Olympic qualification campaign) and doesn't appear to be up to it sadly. Time to move him on. Quite a few match reports this morning lamenting his lack of ideas for breaking down Jordan's defence who happily parked the bus. Even when we needed a goal desperately late into the second half, continuing with 1 up top it seems to suggest he didn't have any plan for if we needed to chase the game late in the match.

I'm all for helping give Aussie coaches a chance so we can help develop the next generation of coaches but if they're not up to it, they need to be moved on. Need to bring someone in (local or foreign, it shouldn't matter) who has a history and track record of helping develop youth teams.

Rant over. :p

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I didn't want to be right with my foreshadowing but the loss really did doom us from the start.

Thankfully Ange is good at picking the cream of this crop for the senior team anyway.

Yeah it seems the senior coach knows how to get the best out of the up and comers rather than Pissant. Both he and Okon haven't impressed and you can't blame the set up that much.

I hate to be negative but a definite shake up of the U23 set up is needed. Not only failing to make an impact at the U23 championship but missing out (again) on the Olympics. 2 wins in their last 9 games and only 7 scored (conceding 12) is not good enough.

Vidmar has had a few years with the team now (he oversaw our missed 2012 Olympic qualification campaign) and doesn't appear to be up to it sadly. Time to move him on. Quite a few match reports this morning lamenting his lack of ideas for breaking down Jordan's defence who happily parked the bus. Even when we needed a goal desperately late into the second half, continuing with 1 up top it seems to suggest he didn't have any plan for if we needed to chase the game late in the match.

I'm all for helping give Aussie coaches a chance so we can help develop the next generation of coaches but if they're not up to it, they need to be moved on. Need to bring someone in (local or foreign, it shouldn't matter) who has a history and track record of helping develop youth teams.

Rant over. :p
I'm negative without substance so this is more constructive criticism.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
The fact that not everyone eligible for the game being there already shines light on the issues.

Not going to call all the doom and gloom, but we need to sort out the youth programs if we are to take that next step as a serious footballing nation.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Would love to see a breakdown on where individual players are playing from all nations, I would assume of all the teams we played that 90%+ of the squads play in the local leagues?

Back