Australian 1st Test Team v Pakistan

Remove this Banner Ad

Has not really batted much in the middle order except in limited overs games though tbh. Just happened to top score for Aus A batting at 6 the other day.

Don't get me wrong I don't think he's terrible for the role but I'm just pointing out he's not really a keeper and his first class experience in the middle order is limited.

I guess finding a guy who has actually batted opener and middle order consistently would be nearly impossible.

Just a gut feeling as I feel his weakness (the swinging ball early and moving across his pad) would be a lot less batting at 5. Thought was very comfortable the other day and also in limited overs cricket.

I wouldn't want Bancroft keeping, but in an emergency I'm fine with it.

No doubt if Pucovski was available, Head would be lucky to be in the squad
And Maddinson. Real shame he's been forced to step away. His First class figures over the past 2 years have been ridiculous. Averaged 88 2018/19 and was averaging 77 before stepping away this season.
Not unlike Matty Wade, had an introduction to test cricket, which he wasn't ready for, went back to state cricket (different state) and let his runs do the talking.

Can open and play middle order too. I really hope he gets the support he needs and comes back and dominates the second half of the Shield next year. He could be a very strong player for Australia.

Travis Head like a young Michael Clarke tbh. Plenty of talent but constantly gets himself out hitting the ball in the air. Would definitely be a better player if he focused on keeping ball down.
He’s got bigger issues that that imo. Head is a poor leaver of the ball. It’s not so much that he hits the ball in the air too much as it is that he slashes at everything. Even his defensive shots are often blocks way out from his body. He’s got a great eye though so I can see him making a good test player though. The slashing is his game and his main source of runs so I think he needs to keep doing it. If he can start leaving balls that he’s blocking well outside off, he’ll be going well.

Last edited:
Langer confirmed that Neser and Bancroft will be 12th and 13th men. If Emily Smith gets a 12 month ban for announcing an XI 1 hour before a game, what does Langer get for announcing one 2 days out?
3 years.

Langer confirmed that Neser and Bancroft will be 12th and 13th men. If Emily Smith gets a 12 month ban for announcing an XI 1 hour before a game, what does Langer get for announcing one 2 days out?

And it's pretty obvious CA not the coaches are the ones who are n a hurry to get the sides named days out from the game, the opposition shouldn't know your side until 30 minutes before he match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And it's pretty obvious CA not the coaches are the ones who are n a hurry to get the sides named days out from the game, the opposition shouldn't know your side until 30 minutes before he match.
Not many games of cricket where it makes that much difference, really.

Not many games of cricket where it makes that much difference, really.

We often name our sides away from home before we have even seen what the final pitch will be like, to me thats just crazy and allows the opposition to either makes player changes themselves or ask for changes to the pitch in the days before the game.

Lets say we bring a leggie an offie and sla to india why tell india days out from the game which one they won't be facing in the match?

Let them do homework on all three snd then they can find out at the toss which one they have to actually face, yes many times this doesn't matter but this is test cricket you want every advantage no matter how small it may seem and we still throw away these small advantages all the times it does matter.

For years the team has been announced basically based on how confident they are in the team. When the team is doing comfortably, the team is typically announced the day or two before the match, when they've just lost a game and everyone is overreacting, the team is announced at the toss

We often name our sides away from home before we have even seen what the final pitch will be like, to me thats just crazy and allows the opposition to either makes player changes themselves or ask for changes to the pitch in the days before the game.

Lets say we bring a leggie an offie and sla to india why tell india days out from the game which one they won't be facing in the match?

Let them do homework on all three snd then they can find out at the toss which one they have to actually face, yes many times this doesn't matter but this is test cricket you want every advantage no matter how small it may seem and we still throw away these small advantages all the times it does matter.
It's even things like for this test make the Pakistan support staff have to spend time studying Michael Neser for no reason. Maybe they miss a tick in Starc's delivery stride that says he's going to bowl the yorker because they've had to invest time in Neser?

I can guarantee you the Australian support staff would love to know whether they can stop trying to find vision of Naseem Shah bowling.

Clarke is a class or three or four above Head.
Head isn't doing terribly bad in comparison to Clarke:

Michael Clarke after first 22 innings (15 matches) of test career
100s: 2
50s: 3
HS: 151
Ave: 40.38
Runs: 848

Travis Head after first 22 innings (12 matches) of test career

100s: 1
50s: 6
HS: 161
Runs: 854
Ave: 42.70

Also worth noting that both players featured in an Ashes series and a subcontinental tour (Clarke - Ind '04 & Eng '05, Head - UAE '18 & Eng '19). People forget that Head is still pretty young so has a lot of improvement left in him.

Last edited:
I am looking forward to watch this series, I have a feeling Pakistan will cause a huge upset. Pakistani bowlers looks fired up and Smith won't survive against Amir and Nader Shah

Travis Head like a young Michael Clarke tbh. Plenty of talent but constantly gets himself out hitting the ball in the air. Would definitely be a better player if he focused on keeping ball down.

Aussie batsmen need lessons from me, current aussie batting line up apart from Smith is as bad as Bangladesh

Head isn't doing terribly bad in comparison to Clarke:

Michael Clarke after first 22 innings (15 matches) of test career
100s: 2
50s: 3
HS: 151
Ave: 40.38
Runs: 848

Travis Head after first 22 innings (12 matches) of test career

100s: 1
50s: 6
HS: 161
Runs: 854
Ave: 42.70

Also worth noting that both players featured in an Ashes series and a subcontinental tour (Clarke - Ind '04 & Eng '05, Head - UAE '18 & Eng '19). People forget that Head is still pretty young so has a lot of improvement left in him.
Interesting stats, I wouldn't have picked that. It's also worth noting that Clarkes stats came in a time where the team was so good he rarely would've been relied on to prop up an innings. Head came in during one of our most dire periods and has produced a better record.

If head had concerted a couple of those 50s into 100s I doubt anyone is questioning him. I'd like to see Labuschagne get triple figures as well, 50s are good but 100s win matches.

Interesting stats, I wouldn't have picked that. It's also worth noting that Clarkes stats came in a time where the team was so good he rarely would've been relied on to prop up an innings. Head came in during one of our most dire periods and has produced a better record.

If head had concerted a couple of those 50s into 100s I doubt anyone is questioning him. I'd like to see Labuschagne get triple figures as well, 50s are good but 100s win matches.

Pup's first innings was a killer in India at age 23. Can't imagine Head doing that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back