Ave: 40.38
Runs: 848

Travis Head after first 22 innings (12 matches) of test career

100s: 1
50s: 6
HS: 161
Runs: 854
Ave: 42.70

Also worth noting that both players featured in an Ashes series and a subcontinental tour (Clarke - Ind '04 & Eng '05, Head - UAE '18 & Eng '19). People forget that Head is still pretty young so has a lot of improvement left in him.
Head's record against all opponents pretty bad other than woeful Sri Lankans who he beat up in Australia.

I'm not a Bancroft fan but who else is there?

Harris- dreadful in the Ashes, poor in the A game
Khawaja- dead set struggling to hit it off the square
Renshaw- no runs
Dan hughes- wasn't picked in the A Game
Street- too early

Honestly who else is there? Batting stocks are terrible

Renshaw has gone so far backwards its insane.
I thought we had a bit of a prodigy on our hands a few years back.

Pup's first innings was a killer in India at age 23. Can't imagine Head doing that.
Michael Clarke's first test, comes in at 4-149, behind Langer, Hayden, Katich, Martyn and Lehmann, and with Gilchrist next in. The worst career batting average of that lot belongs to Lehmann, at 44.95. Australia hadn't lost a series for three years, to anyone, anywhere. Good innings? Absolutely, no argument.

Travis Head's first test, yep, a duck in the first dig, but then in the second innings?

Comes in at 3-87, having lost both the Marsh brothers for ducks, still 374 runs behind, and with 18 overs to go on the fourth day. Next man in is also on debut, and the number seven hasn't hit a FC ton in about ten years.

We're a ******* rabble at this stage, mind you, with captain and vice-captain both still suspended. If he gets out cheaply, we lose, probably don't even make it to stumps on day four. But he bats for more than three hours, scoring 72 runs himself (second highest scorer), and we save the game.

Saving that test should go down as one of the great Australian performances of the decade, and while Khawaja is rightly man of the match, it doesn't happen without Travis Head. On debut.

Michael Clarke's first test, comes in at 4-149, behind Langer, Hayden, Katich, Martyn and Lehmann, and with Gilchrist next in. The worst career batting average of that lot belongs to Lehmann, at 44.95. Australia hadn't lost a series for three years, to anyone, anywhere. Good innings? Absolutely, no argument.

Travis Head's first test, yep, a duck in the first dig, but then in the second innings?

Comes in at 3-87, having lost both the Marsh brothers for ducks, still 374 runs behind, and with 18 overs to go on the fourth day. Next man in is also on debut, and the number seven hasn't hit a FC ton in about ten years.

We're a ******* rabble at this stage, mind you, with captain and vice-captain both still suspended. If he gets out cheaply, we lose, probably don't even make it to stumps on day four. But he bats for more than three hours, scoring 72 runs himself (second highest scorer), and we save the game.

Saving that test should go down as one of the great Australian performances of the decade, and while Khawaja is rightly man of the match, it doesn't happen without Travis Head. On debut.
Outside of Sri Lankan series averages 30. Head needs to tighten technique around offside. Clarke never had such a flaw & finished his career with fine record. Greg Blewitt would be better comparison with Head.

Outside of Sri Lankan series averages 30. Head needs to tighten technique around offside. Clarke never had such a flaw & finished his career with fine record. Greg Blewitt would be better comparison with Head.
If we're picking stats to suit our argument, I could retort by saying his average in Australia is 60.

Look, no-one is saying he'll end up as good a cricketer as Michael Clarke. But he's going OK, and given there are no stand-out replacements taking his spot, it's his as long as he performs.

If we're picking stats to suit our argument, I could retort by saying his average in Australia is 60.

Look, no-one is saying he'll end up as good a cricketer as Michael Clarke. But he's going OK, and given there are no stand-out replacements taking his spot, it's his as long as he performs.

He better not get caught at 3rd man again then...he’s done that way too often in a test match! That’s a cardinal sin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He better not get caught at 3rd man again then...he’s done that way too often in a test match! That’s a cardinal sin.
He has done it twice, both in the same test. Here's the list

Total dismissals: 20

Caught: 9
LBW: 6
Bowled: 5

Of the caughts:

1. vs Pakistan, Dubai – second slip
2. vs Pakistan, Abu Dhabi, 1st innings – second slip
3. vs Pakistan, Abu Dhabi, 2nd innings – caught behind
4. vs India, Adelaide, 1st innings – caught behind
5. vs India, Adelaide, 2nd innings – gully
6. vs India, Perth, 1st innings – third man
7. vs India, Perth, 2nd innings – third man

8. vs India, Sydney – caught and bowled
9. vs England, Birmingham – caught behind

I'm not a fanboi, by the way. I just hate it when people talk s**t.

Little OT, but could anyone confirm that the whole of the first three levels of the G have sold out for the first day of the Boxing Day test? Or so they release more tickets closer to the day.. surly it won’t sell out..??

Surely no more than 50-60k there. I'd take my chances on them releasing some decent seats at the time.

All the angst about Bancroft - he's been picked to be a concussion sub. That's all. He's not in the XI and was never going to be. He's an ideal twelfth man because he can bat anywhere in the top 6 and is a brilliant fielder. Not like anyone else has made a compelling case to be picked.

As for Head - he's Australia's leading run scorer post Newlands. Averages over 40 in Tests. So again, absent anyone else demanding to be picked, it makes total sense to have him in the team.

I'm happy to back Head in for the summer unless he flops hard in these 2 tests and someone else seriously pushes down the door which no one has done at the moment let's be real. Needs to be a bit softer at the ball in defense and be less trigger happy outside off.

Does anyone know what’s happened to Mohammed Abbas? Took ten-fer against us not that long ago (in the desert no less!) but seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.
Has 66 test wickets at 18 and can’t get a game unless I’ve missed something.

Does anyone know what’s happened to Mohammed Abbas? Took ten-fer against us not that long ago (in the desert no less!) but seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.
Has 66 test wickets at 18 and can’t get a game unless I’ve missed something.

He'll be playing, didn't play vs Aus A but played the 2 day match recently.

The woeful Sri Lanka who beat South Africa in South Africa 2-0 a month later?
Didn't they have to pretty much play an entire 2nd string bowling lineup against us? They were back to full strength or close to against SA from memory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back