Australian 1st Test Team v Pakistan

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol numbers can be misleading can't they ? Anyone that's watched the two of them play knows it isn't a discussion.
I know, it's Mabo, it's the vibe, right?

You're comparing Head after 12 tests with Clarke after 100, and of course there's no comparison. But Clarke after 12 tests didn't look like getting to 8,000 runs either.

You're comparing Head after 12 tests with Clarke after 100, and of course there's no comparison. But Clarke after 12 tests didn't look like getting to 8,000 runs either.

I thought Clarke was an elite talent from the moment I saw him make a ton as a 19 year old vs Victoria, some of the shots he played were outstanding, looked like a star in the making which is how it panned out.

Head whilst being a reasonable talent has a ceiling nowhere as high IMO, but one can dream.

After 12 tests -

Michael Clarke: 669 runs at 41.8
Travis Head: 854 runs at 42.7
Clarke would have had less pressure given the quality of players around him.....

Interesting.

Nah, Clarke was earmarked as a future great before he debuted. He was far and away the standout young batsman in the Shield for a couple of seasons, and was fast-tracked into a very strong Test side with the expectation of big things.

**** me dead comparing an obvious level of talent in a young Michael Clarke to a Travis Head, please just stop.
I've said on multiple occasions I don't think Travis Head will be anywhere near the cricketer that Michael Clarke was, and if you can't read, that's not my ******* problem. So one last time: Will Travis Head play 100 tests? Probably not. Will he score 8,000 runs? I'd be very surprised. But as was pointed out originally by another poster, their record at this stage of their test careers is similar, which seems to shock some people, but facts are facts.

But that said, the point I am making, for those slow on the uptake, is simply this: Travis Head has made a decent start to his test career.

Head has had only one good series - against Sri Lanka in Australia. Clarke helped first series win in India in many decades. Which is more impressive?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love to see us on home soil get really tested and batsmen have to perform knowing they are chasing a decent target and not a smallish 240 (although 240 is pretty good for us these days). 350+ would be more interesting and test a few blokes out. Just hope warner goes out early, flog

A few absolute lemons not backing Burnsy. Why is it so tough to back the *er with a 40+ average over a considerable amount of time? You don't average 40 as an opener on Gabba shield wickets by accident.

Last edited:
I would love to see us on home soil get really tested and batsmen have to perform knowing they are chasing a decent target and not a smallish 240 (although 240 is pretty good for us these days). 350+ would be more interesting and test a few blokes out. Just hope warner goes out early, flog

You do realise that SA has beated Aus regularly in Aus? India did last time they were here too.

Head has had only one good series - against Sri Lanka in Australia. Clarke helped first series win in India in many decades. Which is more impressive?

Wasn't he our leading run scorer (or second) against India last summer? I remember thinking he was a lock for 5 for the next few years after that series.

In saying that, Wade at 5 and Head at 6 moving forward looks more stable, especially after today.

A few absolute lemons not backing Burnsy. Why is it so tough to back the f***er with a 40+ average over a considerable amount of time? You don't average 40 as an opener on Gabba shield wickets by accident.

South Africa in particular have made Burns look very silly in the past.

In four of the five times Burns has made a 90+ score Australia have made 500+. In the other time, Australia was well ahead of the end having made 500+ in the first innings and both openers made hundreds.

Do I think he’s test standard against quality opposition? No.
Is he the best we’ve got currently? Probably but I’m not exactly backing him after he scored runs against Pakistan on a highway.

Stiff me dude.. this is obviously a set up for the next game... the rattling in the coffin of the 'old' players are a
blight on the 'proper' game of cricket..

Warner, Labushchange, and Babar are rated one, Starc and Hazlewood for bowlers are rated two...

Play on at all costs... but does Timmy have a finger problem?

Why isn't ussie playing this series if standing up to SA is so important to selection now?

he was the only to improve his rep when they rolled us at home a few years back.

btw burns has played just only two tests vs SA the last chance he had to play with no prep after bancroft and warner got banned, he responded by top scoring in the second dig with 42 while we we rolled for just over 100, his reward for that fight was getting dumped for finch of all people.

There seems to be a whiff of early Nathan Lyon in the way they treated Burns. He’s reliable, nothing flashy, so they always thought there was something better just out of reach. Kept dropping him for some bright new thing before going back to him eventually.

In four of the five times Burns has made a 90+ score Australia have made 500+. In the other time, Australia was well ahead of the end having made 500+ in the first innings and both openers made hundreds.

Do I think he’s test standard against quality opposition? No.
Is he the best we’ve got currently? Probably but I’m not exactly backing him after he scored runs against Pakistan on a highway.

burns deserves an extended run though.

4 tons , averages just over 40.

harris, bancroft & renshaw have played 30 tests between them for 1 ton and an average under 30.
all 3 have time on their side to make their way back, but surely burns gets the aussie summer.

khawaja is also going to find it tough getting back in now with marnus doing well and can't see khawaja as a number 5 or 6 or stuffing marnus about.

burns deserves an extended run though.

4 tons , averages just over 40.

harris, bancroft & renshaw have played 30 tests between them for 1 ton and an average under 30.
all 3 have time on their side to make their way back, but surely burns gets the aussie summer.

khawaja is also going to find it tough getting back in now with marnus doing well and can't see khawaja as a number 5 or 6 or stuffing marnus about.

There’s no other option tbh but more to do with the quality of the other options rather than Burns himself.

I just don’t think this 90+ score against Pakistan proves anyone wrong. It guarantees him the next game and the few couple against New Zealand but who knows after that.

Last edited:
You are right that his 97 didn't change much, he was better than the alternatives before this game and still is, he and warner are the only really successful opening combo since rogers retired he averages 40+ in test cricket and can actually turn starts into big test scores.

If bancroft and harris are whats next in line burns is safe for the whole summer and probably beyond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back