Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

I said it wouldn't be easy. But not being honest makes everyone involved hypocrites, the show of contrition nothing more than crocodile tears, and three players copping an unfair penalty to hide an ICC problem. How about we stop worrying about what other countries might do and just focus on what we want to come out of this debacle. If you're happy with three players copping long bans so nothing can change, that's fine. I'd rather go a different way.

Well I don’t think anyone has been as blatant and dumb as what our boys were in Cape Town. I don’t think they were doing it prior to Cape Town, so your desire for some tell all confessional confuses me.

What is there to possibly be gained by telling every method of ball tampering ever used in the past? Everyone is going to be more onto it more than ever now anyway.

A lot will come out eventually when players retire etc. Doing it now would just add fuel to the fire and if we said this is what we have done and everyone else does it, all other countries would deny it to make us look even worse.

Well I don’t think anyone has been as blatant and dumb as what our boys were in Cape Town. I
don’t think they were doing it prior to Cape Town, so your desire for some tell all confessional confuses me.

Afridi was caught literally biting the ball. Biting it! You do not get more blatant than that. He got a slap on the wrist.

Many seem to think if they make it big it’s their revenge on the world which had initially wronged them
Off topic,but, in my opinion, it's an individual thing. In a lot of cases, people who've come up through the grind will avoid doing something rash because they're very aware of the kind of effort theh have put in & how fortune might have favoured them. People like that are very very wary of losing what they have worked so hard to achieve. This is more a case of a seriously deluded person.
Just my opinion.

Well I don’t think anyone has been as blatant and dumb as what our boys were in Cape Town. I don’t think they were doing it prior to Cape Town, so your desire for some tell all confessional confuses me.

What is there to possibly be gained by telling every method of ball tampering ever used in the past? Everyone is going to be more onto it more than ever now anyway.

A lot will come out eventually when players retire etc. Doing it now would just add fuel to the fire and if we said this is what we have done and everyone else does it, all other countries would deny it to make us look even worse.
This is where we seem to be at an impasse. If someone is genuinely contrite and wants to take responsibility for their actions, they simply can't continue to lie. I teach my children better than that, it's a shame adults seem to forget simple truths. I understand the reasons why it would be difficult but I don't accept them. What's to be gained from telling the truth? A clean slate and no hypocrisy. Who cares what the other teams are doing.

The truth is sometimes hard but given they have been caught out, now would be the time to come clean. Telling the truth later in a book to make extra cash would actually make them pretty shitty people.

Warner actually doing something clever? Sticking it to CA in a way they can't punish him for? I have no doubt CA would have liked him to appeal to to free up Smith without looking weak or Smith looking like he's not taking responsibility.

Warner actually doing something clever? Sticking it to CA in a way they can't punish him for? I have no doubt CA would have liked him to appeal to to free up Smith without looking weak or Smith looking like he's not taking responsibility.

All those people calling Warner a dunce...played it perfectly so far.
What will CA do when their bans are up?
Pick Smith and not Warner?
I don't think they would be game to do that because no doubt payback will be a bitch if they do.

All those people calling Warner a dunce...played it perfectly so far.
What will CA do when their bans are up?
Pick Smith and not Warner?
I don't think they would be game to do that because no doubt payback will be a bitch if they do.

this has flummoxed me... why would Warner accept the ban? It just doesn't make any sense unless he is playing chicken with CA and knows they will need to lower the bans.. or CA have promised him to lower the bans.

I don't get it. the players all hate CA. None of them agree with the hefty bans. They wouldn't just accept them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it’s people who start from the bottom like that who tend to lose their perspective pretty damn quick.

I'd like to introduce you to some of the more 'idealistic' members of the English Tory party.

I suspect a fair proportion of them have never even been into a shop unless it's for a 'meet the constituents' photo op.

this has flummoxed me... why would Warner accept the ban? It just doesn't make any sense unless he is playing chicken with CA and knows they will need to lower the bans.. or CA have promised him to lower the bans.

I don't get it. the players all hate CA. None of them agree with the hefty bans. They wouldn't just accept them.

Some sort of agreement?

Watch out if his mortgages mysteriously get paid off lol

Some deal has been cut, which I'm fine with. The length of the bans stinks.

This is where we seem to be at an impasse. If someone is genuinely contrite and wants to take responsibility for their actions, they simply can't continue to lie. I teach my children better than that, it's a shame adults seem to forget simple truths. I understand the reasons why it would be difficult but I don't accept them. What's to be gained from telling the truth? A clean slate and no hypocrisy. Who cares what the other teams are doing.

The truth is sometimes hard but given they have been caught out, now would be the time to come clean. Telling the truth later in a book to make extra cash would actually make them pretty shitty people.

It would make them normal sportspeople though. None of them are interesting enough to get a book to sell without opening at least one Pandora's Box.

He didn't start from the lower class though did he? I thought he went to Mentone Grammar? Admittedly some parents save their arses off to send their kids to good schools but still, thought he had a reasonable upbringing.

Randwick Boys High School in Sydney. A government school.

Thinking a 'surprise biznitches, you have all been good boys and can conveniently play after 6 months'?

How about it is the truth and they haven’t done it before?

What kind of ball tampering do you want confessed?

Can you outline a perfectly reasonable scenario on how and why they would reduce them after being accepted by the players?

Deals like that don't normally come after acceptance.

Can you outline a perfectly reasonable scenario on how and why they would reduce them after being accepted by the players?

Deals like that don't normally come after acceptance.

Board spill.

Investigation launched into excessive bans for level 2 offences.

New board and CEO reverse bans.

Only thing I can think of is that the players association will see if they can get the bans reduced

Aside from that the players would know from a PR standpoint it looks a lot better to cop your ban than endlessly fight it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back