Australian cheating at Newlands, where to from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, thought this strange too, to say Sutherland's job was safe. Not that I am necessarily advocating for him to go but don't understand why he would be exempt from the review :huh:
How long has Peever been chair? I'd imagine you'd want to go in to bat for anyone who you've been working with for near a decade unless they're a complete jackass.

One of the problems of stagnation in corporate type roles.

I feel that during the players' ban they should have been made to play state cricket. A complete ban from international contests makes sense but by playing state cricket they are giving service to their states, which the regular Test players get so little chance to do. Furthermore they should have been made to play state cricket without receiving any payment. The message should have been: state cricket is where you came from before becoming a Test player and you will acknowledge your roots and give back something to state cricket during your ban. In addition, assuming they will all be picked again after the ban, playing state cricket ensures they have been playing a high standard of the game instead of going back into the test side or ODI side without any match practice.

I feel that during the players' ban they should have been made to play state cricket. A complete ban from international contests makes sense but by playing state cricket they are giving service to their states, which the regular Test players get so little chance to do. Furthermore they should have been made to play state cricket without receiving any payment. The message should have been: state cricket is where you came from before becoming a Test player and you will acknowledge your roots and give back something to state cricket during your ban. In addition, assuming they will all be picked again after the ban, playing state cricket ensures they have been playing a high standard of the game instead of going back into the test side or ODI side without any match practice.

If the idea is 'to go back to their roots' then being forced to play club cricket is probably more congruent with that notion. Plus if they're playing state cricket that robs someone else's chance to develop their game in a more competitive environment.

If the idea is 'to go back to their roots' then being forced to play club cricket is probably more congruent with that notion. Plus if they're playing state cricket that robs someone else's chance to develop their game in a more competitive environment.
Agree with this but I think post-bbl they should then be allowed to play state cricket.

They (all 3) still haven't told the truth.

So what? What would come if it? Do you want more suspensions?

The ACB have already overreacted and imposed penalties way over the top and many, many times harsher than any similar incident has ever been given.

If others knew what they were doing, big deal. To self harm any more would be even more ridiculous than what they have done already.

This is where we seem to be at an impasse. If someone is genuinely contrite and wants to take responsibility for their actions, they simply can't continue to lie. I teach my children better than that, it's a shame adults seem to forget simple truths. I understand the reasons why it would be difficult but I don't accept them. What's to be gained from telling the truth? A clean slate and no hypocrisy. Who cares what the other teams are doing.

The truth is sometimes hard but given they have been caught out, now would be the time to come clean. Telling the truth later in a book to make extra cash would actually make them pretty shitty people.

What do you think would be appropriate punishment? How many players would be enough?

R.B. McCosker chairing the cultural review seems like as a good a start as any, unlike Don Argus he has actually played Test cricket and by all accounts is well respected. Not so sure about the independent review when Peever has already declared that Sutherland's job is safe, I'd wait and see what's uncovered first.

I don't think there was much wrong with the content of the Argus review. It was more the fact that CA ignored it's implementation.

I don't think there was much wrong with the content of the Argus review. It was more the fact that CA ignored it's implementation.
that and someone who was arguably part of the problem in Sutherland, was present for most of the interviews

What do you think would be appropriate punishment? How many players would be enough?
If you're thinking I'm calling for a witch hunt, I'm not. I am aware that ball tampering exists in some form at all levels and in all countries. I think the CA punishments were knee-jerk and too severe. None of that precludes honesty. Come clean, acknowledge it's something that happens, make a commitment not to do it again and play within the rules from here on in. No punishments for other players and a reduction for the three involved (acknowledging that the tampering in SA was more calculated and went above and beyond).

So what? What would come if it? Do you want more suspensions?

The ACB have already overreacted and imposed penalties way over the top and many, many times harsher than any similar incident has ever been given.

If others knew what they were doing, big deal. To self harm any more would be even more ridiculous than what they have done already.

I've already said a hundred times, the penalties are way over the top.

Crocodile tears and fake remorse doesn't fill me with confidence when it is damn obvious they are lying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Respect Clarke for his career, but this is just media whoring.

He’a Learnt well from his mate Warnie, it’s only been the last couple of years that we haven’t been treated to Shane hinting that he may come back one day

Respect Clarke for his career, but this is just media whoring.

He’a Learnt well from his mate Warnie, it’s only been the last couple of years that we haven’t been treated to Shane hinting that he may come back one day

They all suffer from MADS

Media Attention Deficit Syndrome

Remove this Banner Ad

Back