Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal

If true, then the scumpigs at CA have stifled the games growth and screwed Cricket fans - and Channel ten - all to get their bonuses. CA needs to get their house in order.
Spewing if true, really reckon that Ten would have done a very good job plus with it on Foxtel the best result.

7 really worries me that they will be even more s**t than 9.

Aug 7, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

If true, then the scumpigs at CA have stifled the games growth and screwed Cricket fans - and Channel ten - all to get their bonuses. CA needs to get their house in order.
I don’t think the comparison to England post 2005 is fair- we still have tests and a very popular domestic comp on FTA tv.

But if it’s true then it makes CA look like ameteuristic, greedy thugs. CBS/Ten were well within their rights to walk away and a great deal to have everything on FTA for a great price was wasted.

I’m really interested to find out how the Odis got around the anti-siphoning list. Hopefully the government aren’t complicit and act.

I’m really interested to find out how the Odis got around the anti-siphoning list. Hopefully the government aren’t complicit and act.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/cri...xplained-fox-sports-broadcast-deal/2018-04-14

"The anti-siphoning list gives the free-to-air broadcasters the first right to negotiate," Senator Fifield said on 2GB radio.

"It does not mandate that free-to-air broadcasters have to purchase events. It does not mandate that if they do purchase, that they have to show them. And it does not mandate that if they do purchase events that they can't then on-sell them to other platforms.

"The list ... is there to increase the likelihood some of these significant events are on free TV.

"But it's not possible for any government to mandate that free-to-air broadcasters have to purchase certain events.

"What it does is give them the first opportunity and makes it more likely that these events will be on free-to-air TV."

The Minister said there were no plans to change the list, and he has been briefed on the deal between CA, Seven and Fox by Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland.

Aug 7, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
https://www.cricket.com.au/news/cri...xplained-fox-sports-broadcast-deal/2018-04-14

"The anti-siphoning list gives the free-to-air broadcasters the first right to negotiate," Senator Fifield said on 2GB radio.

"It does not mandate that free-to-air broadcasters have to purchase events. It does not mandate that if they do purchase, that they have to show them. And it does not mandate that if they do purchase events that they can't then on-sell them to other platforms.

"The list ... is there to increase the likelihood some of these significant events are on free TV.

"But it's not possible for any government to mandate that free-to-air broadcasters have to purchase certain events.

"What it does is give them the first opportunity and makes it more likely that these events will be on free-to-air TV."

The Minister said there were no plans to change the list, and he has been briefed on the deal between CA, Seven and Fox by Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland.
Yeah so 7 have purchased them but won’t show them. Poor move from CA when you consider the 10 offer imo.

Bwillow11

All Australian
Sep 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
That's not correct. The state based BBL was very popular - the WACA would get pretty close to selling out most games, so too would Adelaide Oval, the MCG had a couple of 50k games. Ratings were pretty solid, got very visible coverage in the papers on the news etc. You are correct though in that everything exploded once it went on mainstream TV and really captured a lot more of the causal audience which has been the great thing about Ten's coverage.

Yawn. This bullshit keeps on getting peddled yet ratings are outstanding, crowds still strong worldwide and bigfooty threads are full of people before the game hoarding like sheep about how little they care yet are there every page of a 100+ page thread passionately involved with the game. ODI's are still very much a key component of the sport.

Makes absolutely no sense to lose the concept from the sport other than to satisfy an empty echo that reverberates, just... because.

Odi’s are a part of cricket but there is no need for it the future. ODI were the exciting format back in the 70’s when it was created, but by the 2000’s T20’s were the exciting format and ODI’s served no purpose. It is halfway between Tests and T20’s, if you want a game of patience then watch the 5 day game, if you want some exciting play then tune into T20. 3 formats is too much, the ICC talk about having “context” by reducing the amount of games, why not cut a whole format out to do so.

It's just a vibe now. For once given the choice between business and the electorate it might nice if the government chose us for a change.

Aug 7, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can't find the online version, but the Sunday Mail today in Qld said that both 7 and Fox are after Bill, whilst 7 are after Warne. No one else from 9 has garnered any interest.

Also interesting in the article is that 7 is trying to coax Dennis Cometti out of retirement to call the cricket for them. That's a promising first step from 7.

Edit: The article I'm referring to, I would guess, is the article that is referenced in Cleavy 's link

Here's a link to the Cometti stuff https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/c...-call-cricket-for-channel-seven-ng-b88806502z

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NY Yankees, Glenelg Adelaide Giants
Can't find the online version, but the Sunday Mail today in Qld said that both 7 and Fox are after Bill, whilst 7 are after Warne. No one else from 9 has garnered any interest.

Also interesting in the article is that 7 is trying to coax Dennis Cometti out of retirement to call the cricket for them. That's a promising first step from 7.

no surprise there, i was never fan of Bill as a commentator

Yeah I heard that too. Would be much better than say BT or Basil (though apparently the front-runners for that sort of role are Bruce, Mel McLaughlin and Jim Wilson). Especially because unlike most he actually has experience with cricket commentary.

7 might well have the better team at this point. I still see myself watching Fox as they won't have as many ads, nor will they have to pimp their shitty shows all the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 17, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NY Yankees, Glenelg Adelaide Giants

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
was that you?, i enjoyed that article

Yeah mate, cheers. A mate of mine roped me into it as a consequence of the Betoota seemingly going off the boil and getting a little bit more political. That one and a yarn about Robert Allenby are probably my favourites so far.

If you get the chance, track it down on facey or Twitter, it gets updated fairly regularly.

Aug 7, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah I heard that too. Would be much better than say BT or Basil (though apparently the front-runners for that sort of role are Bruce, Mel McLaughlin and Jim Wilson). Especially because unlike most he actually has experience with cricket commentary.

7 might well have the better team at this point. I still see myself watching Fox as they won't have as many ads, nor will they have to pimp their shitty shows all the time.
I could see Jim Wilson hosting the tests and Mel McLaughlin the BBL. A lot of people don't warm to Wilson but I've alway found him likeable and enthusiastic about whatever sport he's hosting. Mel is quality. Dunno if Bruce really has the passion for cricket tbh and with his decision to not be involved with the last 2 Aus Opens I think it's pretty likely he just wants summers off nowadays.

Just on Nannes, was it him that was calling some of the Winter Olympics on 7? If so, he's probably head of the pack.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Mel is quality.
To look at, sure. At presenting? Nope
Just on Nannes, was it him that was calling some of the Winter Olympics on 7? If so, he's probably head of the pack.
He commented on the freestyle skiing and was clearly one of the best. Got the balance right when giving enough information and knew when to get excited

Remove this Banner Ad

Back