Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Fox Sports should have made a play for Alison Mitchell. She along with Isa Guha are the two standout female commentators. They got one, i think they ought to have got both. Outside of that i think Fox have done a good job.

I'll be interested to see how James Brayshaw fares doing test cricket again. He was very unpopular when he did tests on channel 9.

Selecting Alison Mitchell (+ Isa Guha) is including women the right way, selecting people who are good at their job, easy to listen to and add value and insightful information, rather than being token selections.

I watched a bit of the BT sports coverage of the ashes and Mitchell was very good. Punter and herself had a number of good conversations.

Fox Sports should have made a play for Alison Mitchell. She along with Isa Guha are the two standout female commentators. They got one, i think they ought to have got both. Outside of that i think Fox have done a good job.

I'll be interested to see how James Brayshaw fares doing test cricket again. He was very unpopular when he did tests on channel 9.
He’s very unpopular full stop. I cringe every time I hear him commentate anything - hoping he doesn’t bring the MMM/Footy Show boys’ club ‘banter’ to Ch7.

He’s very unpopular full stop. I cringe every time I hear him commentate anything - hoping he doesn’t bring the MMM/Footy Show boys’ club ‘banter’ to Ch7.

I must be in the minority as I actually don't mind JB...loves to take the piss out of himself but also knows his stuff

I would like to know who you have been surveying? As he rates very highly on MMM, TFS rated very highly when he was on it. Triple M cricket received rave reviews. Very interesting take.

Evening James.

This is quite a pathetic reply. Like Brayshaw or hate him, what reubski23 said is correct - he's a ratings draw, which goes against the notion that he's unpopular.

I've grown to quite like him on Saturday night footy. Has personality, but doesn't make it about him.

Selecting Alison Mitchell (+ Isa Guha) is including women the right way, selecting people who are good at their job, easy to listen to and add value and insightful information, rather than being token selections.
Would say that was the case for all the female hires, I think they're all good commentators. Sthalekar's not great but Mitchell and Guha are very good, and I rate Jones's work too. From a barrier point of view it's great we're getting female commentators who can stand up to - and often exceed - the standard of most male commentators.

In semi-related news, Brett Lee and Kerry O'Keefe have signed with Fox.

Might be unpopular but I would like to see Mark Nicholas involved in one of the broadcasts even if its just a hosting role. Is a talented broadcaster and was one of the few on channel 9 that understood Richies philosophy of only talking if you can add relevant information.
Yeah I agree with this. Even Taylor would be a decent fit as an expert.

Suppose Chappell, Taylor, Healy and Nicholas are too closely tied to 9 though and given how bad that commentary got I can see why Fox and 7 are looking elsewhere. (I think Pietersen and Clarke not getting gigs was because everyone hated them though)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would say that was the case for all the female hires, I think they're all good commentators. Sthalekar's not great but Mitchell and Guha are very good, and I rate Jones's work too. From a barrier point of view it's great we're getting female commentators who can stand up to - and often exceed - the standard of most male commentators.

Brett lee is by far the worst pick up by Fox...he struggles to speak

Ill be honest, I think the average Australian female accent doesn't suit commentary. Hard to listen to.

I guess that is partially why I like Guha and Mitchell, way easier on the ear.

This is quite a pathetic reply. Like Brayshaw or hate him, what reubski23 said is correct - he's a ratings draw, which goes against the notion that he's unpopular.

I've grown to quite like him on Saturday night footy. Has personality, but doesn't make it about him.
So he’s the only person to appear on Triple M and the Footy Show and is solely responsible for them rating well?

Love Brayshaw on the footy. He’s a character, but not to the levels of parody. He’s 7’s best regular commentator right now, streets ahead of BT.

I’m a little more unsure about him on test cricket, his style probably doesn’t suit it as much. Still, he’ll be good on the Big Bash. Wonder if JB hosts the majority of the tests while Lane and Mitchell do most of the ball by ball

Love Brayshaw on the footy. He’s a character, but not to the levels of parody. He’s 7’s best regular commentator right now, streets ahead of BT.

I’m a little more unsure about him on test cricket, his style probably doesn’t suit it as much. Still, he’ll be good on the Big Bash. Wonder if JB hosts the majority of the tests while Lane and Mitchell do most of the ball by ball

Brayshaw, Lane and Mitchell will do ball by ball. I think Brayshaw or Alison Mitchell will present the coverage. We'll hear a lot of Slats during the Big Bash i think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back