Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kram

I'll brik u
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
What about those on limited incomes; are they tightwads?
Unless you are unfortunately out of work and on the dole or something 99% of the population should be able to work out how to budget for $10 a week if they could be bothered.

Kapow!!!

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yep any cricket fan not a tightwad was able to watch it.
Up until recently when they made the streaming service (which is still a second preference where you're basically paying the same amount for worse quality) those renting with Landlords unwilling to install Foxtel would've had no choice. So it's a tad rich to be that dismissive.

Also those who don't want to give the Murdoch's money would also have a fair gripe that something that should be free isn't.

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Unless you are unfortunately out of work and on the dole or something 99% of the population should be able to work out how to budget for $10 a week if they could be bothered.
Wow, so the same per week for what platforms like Netflix charge monthly?

It's a rip-off, still charging legacy prices.

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
What sports that cost a large amount of money for the rights is available on Netflix?
Netflix is paying $60m for individual films, $100m each for seasons of shows, that's not the issue. Foxtel are still charging a fee that is no longer appropriate in the current market. I actually wonder whether Netflix will branch out into sports. Would be good for competition.

Kram

I'll brik u
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Zero sport. So the comparison is completely pointless.

If they or someone else fork out many, many more millions for AFL, NRL, Cricket and American stuff watch their subscription fees go up 4 fold.

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Zero sport. So the comparison is completely pointless.

If they or someone else fork out many, many more millions for AFL, NRL, Cricket and American stuff watch their subscription fees go up 4 fold.
You were the one that suggested their pricing was related to the cost of the sports. I simply pointed out that it can't be used as a justification because Netflix spends as much or more ($6.3 billion on original content in 2017 alone, the cricket rights cost Fox $1b over six years, shared with 7). Criticism of its pricing model is entirely justified.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kram

I'll brik u
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
You were the one that suggested their pricing was related to the cost of the sports. I simply pointed out that it can't be used as a justification because Netflix spends as much or more ($6.3 billion on original content in 2017 alone, the cricket rights cost Fox $1b over six years, shared with 7). Criticism of its pricing model is entirely justified.
But don't they sell all that to people all over the world, with many, many more times the subscribers? Not just 1 tiny country.

Sorry if you think someone could outbid Foxtel for that content and then sell it for 10 bucks a month or something you are deluded.

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
But don't they sell all that to people all over the world, with many, many more times the subscribers? Not just 1 tiny country.

Sorry if you think someone could outbid Foxtel for that content and then sell it for 10 bucks a month or something you are deluded.
Sports will soon start selling themselves. And Foxtel will still probably be trying to charge $300 connection fees, up to $100 a month, and lock-in contracts.

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Season iirc goes about 5 months so more like $50.
I was being a touch facetious. The last country we should be attempting to emulate is America; the AFL season pass (limited to mobile because of its deal with Fox) is $90 for the season. I imagine costs could be brought down substantially in future with competition.

You will struggle to convince me that Foxtel is good value when outside of sport, their channels are either full of shit repeats, or cost extra, pushing the total up to anywhere between $70 and $100 a month. It's a legacy platform with a legacy price tag. Offer just sport (none of the bullshit add-ons to pad out their profit margin) via my TV box, and I'd be happy to pay $20 a month. But a quick look suggests they want $30 a month, lock-in contract, with a fee to 'upgrade' your TV box :rolleyes:

Kram

I'll brik u
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Well no shit only a halfwit would buy it for anything other than sport. Or pay even close to $70.

At $20 bucks a month, sport being their only real draw card that they would contribute to the vast majority of their content expenses they would probably go broke.

Go look at what stuff cost in over countries like the UK. If you think Foxtel exploded tomorrow and it all went to someone else and you could suddenly get it for peanuts you are absolutely dreaming.

big_e

Premiership Player
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
Amazon are moving towards TV sports. Was only last year that they bid on the IPL, so cricket is on their radar.

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Well no shit only a halfwit would buy it for anything other than sport. Or pay even close to $70.

At $20 bucks a month, sport being their only real draw card that they would contribute to the vast majority of their content expenses they would probably go broke.

Go look at what stuff cost in over countries like the UK. If you think Foxtel exploded tomorrow and it all went to someone else and you could suddenly get it for peanuts you are absolutely dreaming.
I only have to look to the recent past to see better access to sports. I'm a sports fan, not a capitalist.

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Cricket Australia are shooting themselves in the foot by putting ODIs behind a paywall, they may have got some extra cash but it will kill interest in the game.

What a great way to start the Summer of Cricket here with an ODI that the majority of the population without Foxtel won't be able to watch.

There's been no promotion on FTA for the ODIs either so that will hurt ticket sales, when Ch9 had the rights there would be ads promoting the games.

If people thought the crowds were bad for ODIs in recent years, they will get even worse now as they are off the mainstream FTA radar.

Kram

I'll brik u
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I only have to look to the recent past to see better access to sports. I'm a sports fan, not a capitalist.
It's pro sport, involving the best of the best on massive wages, with leagues that want massive $ for their TV rights. It's just a fact of life someone has to pay.

I mean tickets for West Coast games coast probably $70 minimum now which sucks but when McGovern gets a wage of 1 million plus a season it has to come from somewhere.

If you are anti capitalism and sport the only solution is to go watch the local ammos (seriously people should do this more often).

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
It's pro sport, involving the best of the best on massive wages, with leagues that want massive $ for their TV rights. It's just a fact of life someone has to pay.

I mean tickets for West Coast games coast probably $70 minimum now which sucks but when McGovern gets a wage of 1 million plus a season it has to come from somewhere.

If you are anti capitalism and sport the only solution is to go watch the local ammos (seriously people should do this more often).
Ammos is stretching it, but I did enjoy the WAFL on several occasions this year.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Netflix is paying $60m for individual films, $100m each for seasons of shows, that's not the issue. Foxtel are still charging a fee that is no longer appropriate in the current market. I actually wonder whether Netflix will branch out into sports. Would be good for competition.
Netflix is probably paying scratch all for some of their content. Some of the stuff that ends up on their service will be tied to much higher quality productions in bundles, I'd imagine.

Top Bottom