Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

It comes back to how much you want to watch it.

I am crazy about watching cricket, and a lot of HBO, Showtime etc series so I fork out for it and don’t regret doing it. I can watch any afl game, any nrl game, and outside of the odd series in UAE or Bangladesh, basically any cricket game I want. So I’m happy to part with my money.

An over-abundance of channels, Foxtel, and a handful of streaming services means that - I would assume - ratings in general on tv are down on the past, thus networks can’t charge as much for advertising and so they have less power than they did, and as such they can’t just throw a blanket amount of cash at the broadcast rights and compromises like this one are reached.

Just fork out for Fox if you want it that badly.

I wouldn’t complain with a channel 7 delay, but with there precedence in AFL,
would there be any replays?
Probably not.
A wicket goes, followed by 3 ads and a future show preview.
Then next batsman faces first ball.

There would be more ads than usual. Growing up in WA that's what happened in the bad old days.

I remember a Port Adelaide vs Collingwood Friday game in 2006. Final goal was kicked with 19 seconds left. No exaggeration, there were at least 10 full ads before they came back for the bouncedown.

Edit - This game:

Last edited:
The best solution would have been channel 10 getting it.

A shame 10 didn't get the rights, their sports coverage is usually good but they just don't have the financial clout to get the big sports like 7 and 9 do.

It would be miles better than nothing even if I couldn't seek better live stats elsewhere.

Or gradually push the start times out. Remember when 7 would show Friday night footy on 1 hour delay in order to show better homes and gardens? Now Friday night footy starts at 7.50. In comparison Thursday and Saturday night footy starts at 7.20 & 7.25

We used to get Friday night footy in Perth on a 3 hour delay which was ridiculous, the game had finished by the time the coverage started here.

Thankfully due to 7mate we now get the Friday night games live but that's about the only good thing about Ch7's footy coverage compared to previous years.

We used to get Friday night footy in Perth on a 3 hour delay which was ridiculous, the game had finished by the time the coverage started here.

Thankfully due to 7mate we now get the Friday night games live but that's about the only good thing about Ch7's footy coverage compared to previous years.

4 hour delay in the early rounds with daylight saving elsewhere. It actually put me off the sport for a time, was such a ******* joke as a young millennial. Still remember old people (over 35s) actually defending it with "I'm not going be home in time to watch it live at 5.30pm blah blah blah".

Thank * smartphones came along. That's what really killed it off, people having the score in their pocket.

Come tomorrow alot of people will be switching on to realise the one dayers are not on FTA. If there is enough disgruntalment about it being exclusive to pay TV by the general public, it might force the Governments hand to have it simulcast on free tv.

Not breaking news but CBS made a very good offer to show every home Australian and BBL match on Ten, One and Eleven. But Peever and others would've gotten a lower bonus so it didn't happen. He even sent an angry email to them which is strikingly petulant.

It comes back to how much you want to watch it.

I am crazy about watching cricket, and a lot of HBO, Showtime etc series so I fork out for it and don’t regret doing it. I can watch any afl game, any nrl game, and outside of the odd series in UAE or Bangladesh, basically any cricket game I want. So I’m happy to part with my money.

An over-abundance of channels, Foxtel, and a handful of streaming services means that - I would assume - ratings in general on tv are down on the past, thus networks can’t charge as much for advertising and so they have less power than they did, and as such they can’t just throw a blanket amount of cash at the broadcast rights and compromises like this one are reached.

Just fork out for Fox if you want it that badly.

I am a Foxtel subscriber for the same reasons you highlighted, I am a massive fan of their coverage of a number of sports.

The fact is though that most Australians aren’t like you or me or others who post here regularly. Most people aren’t such cricket tragics that they’ll sit up all night in winter watching us struggle through an away test series. The typical Australian is a far more casual cricket fan, switching on during the home summer and attending a big bash game or a day of a test when convenient to do so. For them there is a multitude of other sports and entertainment options that will fill the void if we start taking international cricket off FTA TV.

Cricket is not just a sport in Australia but a key part of our cultural fabric, however it won’t take long for that to unwind if we take the game out of the hands of the majority of Australians (who are casual fans). I’ll be able to watch Australia home and away regardless of what happens but I don’t want the game’s cultural impact to be diminished and I don’t want to see the team become just another representative national sports team which is hidden away on Pay TV. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
You have to fear for what FTA cricket coverage will turn into under Ch7, Ch9 genuinely cared about the game and wouldn't sell international games to pay tv.

With Ch7 cricket is just another commodity to them where they will happily sell off games to pay tv when it suits them like they do with AFL or show games on delay which in this day and age is pointless, no one is going to watch a cricket game on delay when they can follow it live via the internet.
It's absolutely false advertising by ch7 to claim it is the "new home of cricket" when their coverage is going to be nowhere near what ch9's was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. A lot of people I've talked to had no idea that these games wouldnt be on free to air. Watch everyone try to tune into 7 on sunday.
How much is the subscription to watch via cricket Australia app ?

I have been chasing this up all week.

Somewhere I read you need a Foxtel subscription to view through the app.

The digital component of the deal has not been made clear enough from my end.

I wouldn’t complain with a channel 7 delay, but with there precedence in AFL,
would there be any replays?
Probably not.
A wicket goes, followed by 3 ads and a future show preview.
Then next batsman faces first ball.
An extended highlights package would even suffice.

Channel 9 use to have an hour highlights package for the home state years ago as the game was blacked out on FTA in the city the game was being played.

Not breaking news but CBS made a very good offer to show every home Australian and BBL match on Ten, One and Eleven. But Peever and others would've gotten a lower bonus so it didn't happen. He even sent an angry email to them which is strikingly petulant.
It absolutely would have been better for the long term; 10 is screaming out for content, would have broadcast every second of every game and really gotten behind it. Sharing it behind a paywall is short term financial gain for long term pain.

How much is the subscription to watch via cricket Australia app ?

I have been chasing this up all week.

Somewhere I read you need a Foxtel subscription to view through the app.

The digital component of the deal has not been made clear enough from my end.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/cricket-australia-live/id720516760?mt=8
- Free live streaming of Australia Men’s Gillette ODI Series vs South Africa *
- Live streaming of Australia Men’s and Women’s International matches played in Australia **
- Live streaming of the KFC BBL and Rebel WBBL **

* Streaming available in Australia only
** Subscription to a streaming service provided by Fox Sports required. More details to be provided in November 2018.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/cricket-australia-live/id720516760?mt=8
- Free live streaming of Australia Men’s Gillette ODI Series vs South Africa *
- Live streaming of Australia Men’s and Women’s International matches played in Australia **
- Live streaming of the KFC BBL and Rebel WBBL **

* Streaming available in Australia only
** Subscription to a streaming service provided by Fox Sports required. More details to be provided in November 2018.
Thanks

A shame 10 didn't get the rights, their sports coverage is usually good but they just don't have the financial clout to get the big sports like 7 and 9 do.

Their offer was better (thanks to CBS), but CA had already agreed to give it to their mates and strung Ten along to make it appear as though the process was legitimate.

Did they? Really? They put Brad McNamara in charge for years. And they didn't show hours of the 2011 World Cup Final because Australia wasn't in it.

Ch9's cricket coverage used to be great but went downhill when Packer died along with Richie Benaud who was another driving force behind Ch9's coverage.

Both would be disgusted at Ch9 losing the rights.

Their offer was better (thanks to CBS), but CA had already agreed to give it to their mates and strung Ten along to make it appear as though the process was legitimate.

That doesn't surprise me.

Even if Ten have the money they are still seen as the poor relation of the commercial networks and don't have the bigwigs that 7 and 9 have to get deals done.

My understanding is that 7 and Fox have used a loophole in the anti-siphoning laws in which 7 have technically bought the rights to the one dayers, refused to show them, and let Fox telecast them ahead of other channels.

Pretty obvious it’s the anti-siphoning laws that are the problem here and they need to be tightened.

Also, 9 stopped truly caring for the cricket a long time ago.

Last edited:
Well can you get sport by itself on that and how much does it cost?

edit

"If you want just a TV package with Sky Sports attached, the cheapest way to do that is through Sky.

It costs £22 a month to add two Sky Sports channels onto Sky TV; £26 a month to add three; or £28 a month to add the whole lot. You can chop and change which channels you subscribe to every single month, if you like.

Since Sky's base TV package costs £20 a month (plus setup costs), you can get the whole lot for £48 - or £38 a month if you only want, say, Premier League matches."

If that's correct it's about $68-86 Aus, more expensive than Foxtel.

You can get month passes for Sky for online which makes it far more useful if you want to watch specific tournaments. But the footfall that you would get by a presence on terrestrial is gone and it won't be back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back