Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Channel 7 covering themselves in glory. Returned from the ads with Nathan Lyon’s attempt a hat trick already bowled and hitting the bat. But good to know what Shaver Shop is selling. ******* clowns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kram

I'll brik u
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Channel 7 covering themselves in glory. Returned from the ads with Nathan Lyon’s attempt a hat trick already bowled and hitting the bat. But good to know what Shaver Shop is selling. ******* clowns.
Don't have that problem with Uncle Rupert ;)

Father Jack

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
I'd known for years that Channel Nine's coverage was pretty terrible as far as their one-note commentary team was concerned, but I have to say I'm a bit surprised how much I've enjoyed the Fox line-up so far.

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fremantle, WA, Associates
From G. Lemon's Steve Smith's Men:

The Seven deal was a prime example of CA’s general air of disregard for those they deal with. They were obsessed with topping a billion dollars to stand alongside the AFL and NRL. How to get there wasn’t important. Nine was the stale old-school partner. Network Ten had done the game a service, growing the Big Bash from a joke fluorescent league that no one could watch on pay TV to a summer staple in a world that accepted ‘the Brisbane Heat’ as a reasonable concept. People found a new presentation refreshing, it was free to air, and the viewer average jumped from 236,000 a night to nearly a million on Ten. Now the BBL was successful, CA wanted every dollar back.

Nine and Ten offered a joint deal. Amarfio met them for less than fifteen minutes and dismissed it as ‘non-compliant’. Peever asked Ten’s American owner CBS not to ‘include local management as I feel they are not prepared to challenge their operating model to be anything other than bottom feeders’. All totally normal and professional.

Ten went all in: $960 million for the lot. Their secondary channels would broadcast men’s and women’s Big Bash, domestic one-dayers, even the white elephant Sheffield Shield. It could have been an amazing coup for cricket. But you may have noticed that 960 million is less than a billion. So CA signed all the valuable games to Foxtel, as long as a free-to-air partner would simulcast Tests and some BBL.

Ten was told this was now all they could bid for. They offered $80 million a year and Sutherland shook on it. Then Seven was allowed another bid, worth $82 million. The network that had revitalised cricket broadcasting and made CA’s risky Big Bash gamble a winner was punted over comparative pocket change.

Phone

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Can't believe CA agreed to a deal where there is no cricket on FTA on a Saturday.
I'm surprised this hasn't been commented on more often. It feels everyone has been sleeping on Foxtel having dominion over Saturday's. All the BBL games on Saturday nights have been fox exclusive. And last night's game was an exclusive to Fox as well, probably to make up for today's game.

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
I'm surprised this hasn't been commented on more often. It feels everyone has been sleeping on Foxtel having dominion over Saturday's. All the BBL games on Saturday nights have been fox exclusive. And last night's game was an exclusive to Fox as well, probably to make up for today's game.
That's the difference with the AFL, even though they sold the rights to some games to Foxtel they would still have FTA games on Friday and Saturday night.

You could just imagine the uproar if there was no AFL on FTA on Friday night or Saturday during the footy season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
North Melbourne
That's the difference with the AFL, even though they sold the rights to some games to Foxtel they would still have FTA games on Friday and Saturday night.

You could just imagine the uproar if there was no AFL on FTA on Friday night or Saturday during the footy season.
Maybe not in all states, but no FTA footy on Saturday night can happen on bye weeks.

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fremantle, WA, Associates
How has this escaped widespread criticism?
Rights deals tend to make people's eyes glaze over until they realise the implications, and by then it's too late. Most people would have no idea that Ten was offering such a good deal.

Phone

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon

haven't they given up Saturday afternoons though? We get some Thursday night games in return but it's not the same. Over the past 10 years we've gone from Foxtel basically broadcasting games at the same time as a FTA channel is showing a game, to now Foxtel having 3 games on Saturday to themselves before a FTA game is shown, plus the bulk of the Sun twilight game doesn't clash with a FTA game. the AFL has done a similar thing, just a bit more carefully and over time.

AFL Club
West Coast
The big question will be how much money CB$ is willing to throw at Australian sport.

The fact that they bought a whole network suggests to me that the answer is 'a lot' - even though it's probably only a stepping stone for the long-term future of streamed television.

I don't think CA has much interest in doing what the ECB did and hiding cricket away from the masses.
Wrong

Top Bottom