Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
St Kilda
I wasn't commenting on CA's decision making, only on the entitlement of people who think they are owed free cricket, and on the hyperbolic statement that the tv deal will "kill cricket".
Mate get real...if kids at round Australia miss out on watching it then of course participation rates will drop.. CA had the mix right with CH10 and they completely balls it up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
I wasn't commenting on CA's decision making, only on the entitlement of people who think they are owed free cricket, and on the hyperbolic statement that the tv deal will "kill cricket".
CA rely on us as much as we do them. Let’s not act like ‘free cricket’ is a magnanimous act by them. Being available to everyone is more valuable than hard dollars and cents. But as Bill Hicks said 30 years ago, some campaigner is always trying to put a dollar figure on ******* everything.

Last edited:

nobbyiscool

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Raiders/TasTigers/MV/Iggles
Mate get real...if kids at round Australia miss out on watching it then of course participation rates will drop.. CA had the mix right with CH10 and they completely balls it up
They aren't really missing out though are they? You can watch BBL 5-6 days a week for 2 months this season, and there's plenty of WBBL on during the week and on the weekend as well. And as I already said, the A-League and Socceroos being almost entirely on pay tv hasn't hurt participation in football.

If people are concerned about engaging kids, I'd suggest looking at the crowd demographics of BBL vs ODIs. Given the choice, it seems kids would rather watch BBL anyway.

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
If 10 were willing to broadcast Sheffield Shield of all things (Bunch of Americans saying "YES" to Sheffield Shield?), then it's pretty disappointing CA reneged on their agreement.
I don't think CA reneged on their agreement with Ch10, they were really only interested in taking the Ch7/Foxtel deal and ignored other offers.

No doubt Sutherland and co got a nice kickback from Foxtel to give them some exclusive rights to games this summer and now that the deal is done they have ridden off into the sunset and left other people to deal with the consequences.

Well considering that all international home games are on the anti-siphoning list I think people are entitled to question why ODIs and T20s aren't on FTA.

Ch7 entered into a deal where they agreed to not take the option of showing ODIs and T20s so that Foxtel could show them exclusively.

That wouldn't be so bad if no other FTA stations were willing to show them but Ch10 would've showed them for slightly less than the Ch7/Foxtel offer.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't think CA reneged on their agreement with Ch10, they were really only interested in taking the Ch7/Foxtel deal and ignored other offers.

No doubt Sutherland and co got a nice kickback from Foxtel to give them some exclusive rights to games this summer and now that the deal is done they have ridden off into the sunset and left other people to deal with the consequences.

Well considering that all international home games are on the anti-siphoning list I think people are entitled to question why ODIs and T20s aren't on FTA.

Ch7 entered into a deal where they agreed to not take the option of showing ODIs and T20s so that Foxtel could show them exclusively.

That wouldn't be so bad if no other FTA stations were willing to show them but Ch10 would've showed them for slightly less than the Ch7/Foxtel offer.
If our national team is playing my kids should be able to watch them

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
If our national team is playing my kids should be able to watch them
It was a disgraceful deal from CA, Sutherland tried to hoodwink the Australian public by saying there would be more cricket than ever on FTA but more WBBL matches doesn't make up for not showing ODIs, T20s and some BBL matches. They've got an extra $200m now but it will cost them more in the long run.

big_e

Premiership Player
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
You know what I mean...no kid no matter their parents financial situation should have to pay for the right to watch their national cricket team play...it's where they find their heroes
It's not a right, it's a privilege. And it's a privilege not given to lots of other sports.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's not a right, it's a privilege. And it's a privilege not given to lots of other sports.
I completely disagree. If cricket wants to remain a national favourite and pass time then it needs to remain accessible to all no matter what their socio economic circumstances

(Log in to remove this ad.)

vicpride

Club Legend
Every year i go to the Melbourne ODI with four mates and make a day of it. This year i put it up on Facebook and nobody even knew the 50 over games were currently being played.. with modern technology and options I'm astounded cricket wouldn't want to be front of mind and exposed to a greater audience. The big bash is a pathetic standard of cricket with no feeling whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

big_e

Premiership Player
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
Most sports aren't central to Australian culture.
Cricket isn't either. I love cricket more than any other sport but to suggest it's central to Australian culture is fanciful. Indeed, for a significant number of people, it is a complete irrelevance. The most watched cricket match in any given year is watched by, what, 5% of the population?

big_e

Premiership Player
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
I completely disagree. If cricket wants to remain a national favourite and pass time then it needs to remain accessible to all no matter what their socio economic circumstances
That's fine, but it's an argument to be put to CA.

Here are the most recent 30 tests played by Australia:

vs India - 4 tests Yes on FTA
vs Pakistan - 2 tests No
vs SA - 4 tests No
vs England - 5 tests Yes
vs Bangladesh - 2 tests No
vs India - 4 tests No
vs Pakistan - 3 tests Yes
vs South Africa - 3 tests Yes
vs Sri Lanka - 3 tests No

Half of them were on FTA, the other half weren't. We accept this. And we'll get used to ODIs being behind a paywall, too.

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fremantle, WA, Associates
Cricket isn't either. I love cricket more than any other sport but to suggest it's central to Australian culture is fanciful. Indeed, for a significant number of people, it is a complete irrelevance. The most watched cricket match in any given year is watched by, what, 5% of the population?
hahaha, did you not notice how much of an impact sandpapergate in the news? Cricket is absolutely considered a sport central to Australian culture. Beach/backyard/street cricket is a stereotypical part of summer.

big_e

Premiership Player
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
hahaha, did you not notice how much of an impact sandpapergate in the news? Cricket is absolutely considered a sport central to Australian culture. Beach/backyard/street cricket is a stereotypical part of summer.
It's a popular sport, yes, possibly the most popular. It's always been a very white sport, though, and while that remains the case - and it does - it is central to the lives of a sector of the Australian population, but there are huge numbers of Australians from whom it's completely irrelevant.

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fremantle, WA, Associates
It's a popular sport, yes, possibly the most popular. It's always been a very white sport, though, and while that remains the case - and it does - it is central to the lives of a sector of the Australian population, but there are huge numbers of Australians from whom it's completely irrelevant.
"A very white sport" - what culture are subcontinentals?

Many culturally central things are irrelevant to large swathes of people. Doesn't stop it from being central.

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Every year i go to the Melbourne ODI with four mates and make a day of it. This year i put it up on Facebook and nobody even knew the 50 over games were currently being played.. with modern technology and options I'm astounded cricket wouldn't want to be front of mind and exposed to a greater audience. The big bash is a pathetic standard of cricket with no feeling whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk
I usually count down like a mad man anticipating the first international game of the summer. That break between footy ending and cricket starting is a tough period, made all the more worse when people give you the 'but the Spring carnival?' solution. That's like when you were a kid and would say you were hungry and your Mum would tell you to have fruit or a glass of water.
Anyway, I couldn't agree with your comment any more. I didn't know the first one day game against South Africa was on until the day before it. My parents have Foxtel and I just use the app to watch them on my phone (TV won't let me Chromecast). Still an absolute joke it isn't on free to air though.
If you are a kid in a family without pay TV and you love your Hobat Hurricanes, imagine come finals time when they are a huge shot at winning it but you have no way of watching it. It's these things clearly nobody thought about it.

big_e

Premiership Player
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
"A very white sport" - what culture are subcontinentals?

Many culturally central things are irrelevant to large swathes of people. Doesn't stop it from being central.
Grossly under-represented in club and suburban cricket. NZ has more test players from the sub continent than we do FC cricketers.
South east and East Asians almost non-existent.

Kyptastic

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Essendon
Thread starter #1,422
I usually count down like a mad man anticipating the first international game of the summer. That break between footy ending and cricket starting is a tough period, made all the more worse when people give you the 'but the Spring carnival?' solution. That's like when you were a kid and would say you were hungry and your Mum would tell you to have fruit or a glass of water.
Anyway, I couldn't agree with your comment any more. I didn't know the first one day game against South Africa was on until the day before it. My parents have Foxtel and I just use the app to watch them on my phone (TV won't let me Chromecast). Still an absolute joke it isn't on free to air though.
If you are a kid in a family without pay TV and you love your Hobat Hurricanes, imagine come finals time when they are a huge shot at winning it but you have no way of watching it. It's these things clearly nobody thought about it.
That’s a weird example given the BBL finals will be on free to air.

Kyptastic

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Essendon
Thread starter #1,424
Unless it's changed, when they announced the deal all the BBL finals were exclusive to Foxtel.
Or I read it wrong which sounds more plausible.
If Seven signed a deal where they didn't have the Big Bash finals rights it'll be as big a blunder as Nine signing for the football rights and letting 10 have the finals.

rippersnipper

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Honestly couldn't care less about missing out on BBL games and Intl T20s, but I'm furious about not getting ODIs on FTA. ODIs are arguably the best form of cricket because both a batsman's defence and attack are properly tested. To miss out on that is absolutely ridiculous.

Top Bottom