Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
If people were given the choice between watching men's ODIs/T20s and women's cricket I don't think too many would be choosing the latter.

If women's cricket was so popular CA and Foxtel would have put it behind a paywall instead but no one would pay to watch it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bomberboyokay

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
West Ham, Roosters, Mets
Is it perfect - no. Is it the end of the world - no. The no International One Dayer's is disappointing, but for at least a decade the pervading feeling by cricket journalists and members of the public were that these were meaningless games that should be scrapped and now people are crying that they can't watch them for free? The Big Bash has the same number of free to air games as it did last year - it hasn't been diminished by foxtel having access to 16 out of 59 games exclusively. My biggest complaint is that Seven has let Foxtel have Saturday nights as exclusive - I was hoping that the exclusives would have been the first part of a double header or mid-week games.

You'd be surprised at how good the Women's cricket can be. Go watch Harmanpreet Kaur hit a six over cover of Elyse Perry do anything and tell me that's not a high level of skill.
The BBL has been diminished. If the AFL added another 4 rounds and put them on Stan nobody with Seven and Foxtel would go "Oh it's really the same as last year". You can't pretend the new games don't count.

Kyptastic

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Essendon
Thread starter #1,453
The BBL has been diminished. If the AFL added another 4 rounds and put them on Stan nobody with Seven and Foxtel would go "Oh it's really the same as last year". You can't pretend the new games don't count.
When Gold Coast and GWS came into the comp we were getting 9 games a round and still only 4 on FTA and there hasn’t been rioting in the streets about that

AFL Club
St Kilda
Don't care. My best highlights would look pretty good aswell especially if they brought the boundary ropes in for me.
However female cricketers are becoming more aesthetically pleasing regarding techniques both batting and bowling.

The AFLW should aspire to become more of how female cricket is being played currently. It is entertaining and actually is skilled.

Compared to AFLW where it looks unskilled and another form of welfare for semi-athletic women.

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
I've been surprised by the quality of women's cricket. I also have a daughter and appreciate that she will be able to watch it if so inclined. But let's not pretend it makes up in any way for removing the pinnacle of 50-over cricket.

Topkent

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
However female cricketers are becoming more aesthetically pleasing regarding techniques both batting and bowling.

The AFLW should aspire to become more of how female cricket is being played currently. It is entertaining and actually is skilled.

Compared to AFLW where it looks unskilled and another form of welfare for semi-athletic women.
Don't even get me started on AFLW. Country footy sides would beat them

Topkent

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I've been surprised by the quality of women's cricket. I also have a daughter and appreciate that she will be able to watch it if so inclined. But let's not pretend it makes up in any way for removing the pinnacle of 50-over cricket.
An women or men should be able to watch it if they want, but let's be clear that it's a separate product.

Balls In

Club Legend
AFL Club
West Coast
Without a backlash against this communications Minister nothing changes. I'd urge everyone to contact their local member to complain. There's nothing stopping him from "asking" channel seven to simulcast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Without a backlash against this communications Minister nothing changes. I'd urge everyone to contact their local member to complain. There's nothing stopping him from "asking" channel seven to simulcast.
It's too late to change. Reversing the decision would cause a financial disadvantage to Fox, which means they could probably sue. Any and all complaints should be directed to CA, pointing out that you won't be buying Fox and they have potentially killed international ODIs and T20s for a few bucks.

Plugger35

AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
What would channel 10 have had the rights to if their bid was accepted by CA?
Everything, tests, ODIs, T20s, BBL, WBBL and even Sheffield Shield. They would have used all of their 3 channels to show them.

CA thought Ten were too low rent even though they had turned the BBL into a ratings winner, better to go with Ch7 who are experts at shafting the public with their AFL coverage by on selling rights to Foxtel, why not let them do the same with cricket.

Club Legend
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Everything, tests, ODIs, T20s, BBL, WBBL and even Sheffield Shield. They would have used all of their 3 channels to show them.

CA thought Ten were too low rent even though they had turned the BBL into a ratings winner, better to go with Ch7 who are experts at shafting the public with their AFL coverage by on selling rights to Foxtel, why not let them do the same with cricket.
And is it true 10 were like $20m short of securing the rights?

big_e

Premiership Player
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
CA was fixated on it being $1 billion and they were just short. I think they (Ten) just reached their limit and couldn't go any further. They even asked WIN to chip in $5m a year.

Plugger35

AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
About $200m short but they weren't given a chance to re-negotiate as the deadline was when Ch10's CBS bosses in the US were still asleep.

CA had no real interest in dealing with Ch10 though, or a combined Ch10/Ch9 deal, they wanted to get into bed with a Ch7/Foxtel deal like the AFL.

I've got no doubt Sutherland was bribed by Foxtel to make that deal, he was on the way out anyway so decided to take another golden handshake.

He looked guilty as hell when he tried to sell that deal, he knew he was selling out the public for his own personal gain, he should be ashamed of himself.

AFL Club
West Coast
What's wrong with foxtel. It's great. Skull gets to tell his decades old jokes and 1960's cringe worthy racism. Gilly's ears get to broadcast each game. Allan border gets the gig of a lifetime by being paid to virtually fall asleep on air and say ten sentences a day. Mark Waugh gets to tease BJ about his skinny frame by joking he's got tapeworms in him (deadset he said that tonight in the sixers game) Brett Lee gets paid to look pretty and say nothing of substance ever, mark Howard gets to explain how his nose was once white but when he met Shane warne in the comm box it went brown fairly quickly. Shane warne gets to talk utter shite game in game out, Michael Vaughan is a young Geoffrey boycott in the making full of snarky passive aggressive comments and the wisdom of Ricky ponting is nowhere to be found. What's not to like?

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
If I recall, they were $40m short if the magic $1b figure but would have shown everything. When it was agreed that Foxtel would be a partner, 10 were $2m less than 7, but CA basically didn’t want them. Fox were never going to allow it to be 10 after CBS snatched 10 from under Lachlan Murdoch’s nose. CA and Fox were in bed together early to screw the average fan over.

Bomberboyokay

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
West Ham, Roosters, Mets
I've got no doubt Sutherland was bribed by Foxtel to make that deal, he was on the way out anyway so decided to take another golden handshake.
I don't think anyone at CA was bribed. They cared more about their short term bonuses than what cricket will be like in 15 years.

big_e

Premiership Player
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers
I don't think anyone at CA was bribed. They cared more about their short term bonuses than what cricket will be like in 15 years.
It's also a function of the corporatised board. If it was full of state association reps as it was previously, they'd have been more interested in what happens at ground level, whereas the board members now have no skin in the game - they take their directors fees and free tickets and ride off into the sunset once they're done.

Gibbsy

AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Manchester City, Victory, Cavs
Moderator #1,474
AFL Club
West Coast
Top Bottom