Fremantle, WA, Associates

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sandeano

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Space
shocked that CA AREN'T trying to make some coin off their archives. That's so unlike them.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cri...es-trip-down-memory-lane-20190117-p50rwh.html
Last year I did some research on what was playing on Melbourne TV in 1970. One thing I noticed that whilst expected, the ABC covered much of the Sheffield Shield, Channel 7 were actually covering Vic grade cricket on weekends, often with Bill Lawry commentating! I would highly doubt if any of these live broadcasts were kept for posterity, but it goes to show how much potentially could have been saved but never was.

Kram

I'll brik u
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
You were the one that suggested their pricing was related to the cost of the sports. I simply pointed out that it can't be used as a justification because Netflix spends as much or more ($6.3 billion on original content in 2017 alone, the cricket rights cost Fox $1b over six years, shared with 7). Criticism of its pricing model is entirely justified.
Netflix is probably paying scratch all for some of their content. Some of the stuff that ends up on their service will be tied to much higher quality productions in bundles, I'd imagine.
Netflix is actually burning through a lot of cash and are in a massive amount of debt, I assume that they offer the product cheaply trying to corner the market with more and more subscribers and then eventually raise prices to help make it up.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/18/investing/netflix-cash-burn-stock/index.html

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Netflix is actually burning through a lot of cash and are in a massive amount of debt, I assume that they offer the product cheaply trying to corner the market with more and more subscribers and then eventually raise prices to help make it up.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/18/investing/netflix-cash-burn-stock/index.html
Netflix's issue is its overspending rather than its pricing. A quick look around shows their price is comparable to other services like Stan, Amazon Prime etc. But Netflix are chasing both credibility and market dominance, which is why it's spending upwards of $100m on individual films. At some point, it will start to chase cheaper content, it's already dipping its toe into reality TV, sports docos etc. It may even decide that spending money on sports is as valuable as spending $100m on a film.

It certainly does have an interesting cash flow/debt structure, and prices will rise, but I doubt it will ever hit Foxtel numbers.

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
It gets worse. One international ODI and one BBL game on the same day, neither on free-to-air TV. Seven ****** their audience.
They are showing a WBBL game today to make up for it, I'm sure people will be tuning into that in droves, no BBL game today though, that's on Fox too.

Great deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
I am a bit torn over this. As a matter of principle I think it's wrong that so much of the cricket season is not accessible via free to air coverage. Sport should be for everyone to enjoy and we're not talking about niche stuff here. On the other hand the Fox coverage is just so much better than what 7 and 9 serve up. Same with the footy.

Buzzasto DaSilva

Premiership Player
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
It’s fair to say, if you’re a fan of men’s cricket, 7’s international coverage is substantially worse than 9’s and its BBL coverage is worse than 10s’s.
I disagree a little. I think their coverage is light-years ahead of Nine's, but their BBL coverage a little behind Ten's. Aside from the amount of content they're able to show, I think they've been absolutely excellent.

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
I disagree a little. I think their coverage is light-years ahead of Nine's, but their BBL coverage a little behind Ten's. Aside from the amount of content they're able to show, I think they've been absolutely excellent.
I’m solely talking about content. No ODIs, no international T20, no BBL every weekend constantly breaking up the flow of the season. It’s shithouse and well behind what we were getting on 9 and 10.

Buzzasto DaSilva

Premiership Player
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
I’m solely talking about content. No ODIs, no international T20, no BBL every weekend constantly breaking up the flow of the season. It’s shithouse and well behind what we were getting on 9 and 10.
Quantity of content wise, I couldn't agree more- it's incredibly sad. But the quality has been fantastic.

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Quantity of content wise, I couldn't agree more- it's incredibly sad. But the quality has been fantastic.
It’s damaging to ODIs, which has been talked about a lot. But Channel 10 made the BBL by making it a school holiday event. Now there’s no BBL on weekends when kids of all ages are going to be most able to stay up and watch every minute, the flow of the season gets interrupted, you’re more likely to forget games are on if the coverage is intermittent. I think it has the potential to stifle the growth 10 built.

AFL Club
St Kilda
Let’s not forget with tests, we can’t watch the coin toss, we can’t hear any post match analysis on seven,unlike with nine. I like the commentary team at 7 which is a good thing. But everything else is terrible. Nine at least had proper analysis , after each game. Tennis belongs on 7 and Cricket belongs at nine. And finally our cricket team, has always been the team the entire nation could support.

Not everyone here supports StKilda or Cronulla, but everyone can support Australia. And we can’t support the Socceroos because let’s be honest they most likely won’t win a World Cup in our life. Thus, our cricket team is the only team everyone in Australia can truly get behind. Putting our men’s team behind a paywall for white ball games is a disgrace. And quite frankly we deserve losing series because of this. I saw a bit of the India v Aus game yesterday, we were completely outnumbered in the crowd , imagine the uproar that would happen in India, if they couldn’t watch their team play. Lets be honest, not many people are going to buy a $100 to go to an ODI game in the heat, as an alternative to not being able to watch it on TV.

Rant over.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cleavy

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Melbourne derby tonight, with Finch, Maxwell, Stoinis and plenty of stars rumoured to be back for both sides. Channel 7 showing The Peanuts movie.
This is deadset unbelievable. This coming from someone with access to Foxtel by the way.

the feeling when you remember the BBL is on, then realise it's a Fox exclusive game

imadodgyumpire

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
The other thing I don't think has been mentioned. Is that even with the increased coverage of the wbbl content blunting the men's game, some of those game are broadcasted in the middle of a work day.

Top Bottom