Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

(Log in to remove this ad.)

holybishop

Club Legend
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
After enjoying Fox's coverage of the cricket its painful going back to FTA for the tennis. Potato picture quality and incessant Uber eat ads.

Park cricketer

All Australian
AFL Club
Adelaide
Came across this video on twitter.

I know that the AFL is a very popular sport in Australia but was surprised by the crowd number for the women's AFL. I can't imagine any women's cricket match attracting such a crowd barring possibly the women's ODI world cup final that happened at Lords last time. And apparently it's on FTA as well. Has Cricket Australia shot in its foot by putting cricket behind the paywall? I know test cricket is still fta but how many kids these days watch a test match, they would rather watch more fast paced formats like t20s or switch to other sports in their absence.

I wonder if cricket will become a minority sport in Australia like it happened in England after cricket was put behind paywall in 2005.

AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fremantle, WA, Associates

I know that the AFL is a very popular sport in Australia but was surprised by the crowd number for the women's AFL. I can't imagine any women's cricket match attracting such a crowd barring possibly the women's ODI world cup final that happened at Lords last time. And apparently it's on FTA as well. Has Cricket Australia shot in its foot by putting cricket behind the paywall? I know test cricket is still fta but how many kids these days watch a test match, they would rather watch more fast paced formats like t20s or switch to other sports in their absence.

I wonder if cricket will become a minority sport in Australia like it happened in England after cricket was put behind paywall in 2005.
Free entry, no competition, first game of the season - and yes, some people just want to watch footy and nothing else.

big_e

Premiership Player
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers, 76ers

First women's game for Geelong, first footy of any kind since September, free entry, etc, etc, etc. Perfect storm.

Damon_3388

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings

How about we stop playing into stereotypes and making assumptions on what kids prefer, and just force feed them whatever we've got?

When I was a kid, cricket was cricket, and I was happy to watch either Tests or One Dayers, internationals or state cricket. I just wanted to watch. Kids will watch, if you give it to them.

Top Bottom