Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Came across this video on twitter.

I know that the AFL is a very popular sport in Australia but was surprised by the crowd number for the women's AFL. I can't imagine any women's cricket match attracting such a crowd barring possibly the women's ODI world cup final that happened at Lords last time. And apparently it's on FTA as well. Has Cricket Australia shot in its foot by putting cricket behind the paywall? I know test cricket is still fta but how many kids these days watch a test match, they would rather watch more fast paced formats like t20s or switch to other sports in their absence.

I wonder if cricket will become a minority sport in Australia like it happened in England after cricket was put behind paywall in 2005.

How about we stop playing into stereotypes and making assumptions on what kids prefer, and just force feed them whatever we've got?

When I was a kid, cricket was cricket, and I was happy to watch either Tests or One Dayers, internationals or state cricket. I just wanted to watch. Kids will watch, if you give it to them.

If Seven were trying to sell the BBL to Ten they might be desperate enough agree to a reduction in games without having CA pay back any money.

A mutual wedding guest who markets the BBL, made the representation
I think most people including the players would like to see the season reduced.
Because of dollars, they only seem interested in reducing the length, not games played.

I would like to see it where everyone plays each other once but it won't happen.

It'd help if they got the scheduling right. You've got teams playing twice before others have had their first game and the Scorchers flying Perth-Hobart-Perth-Melbourne-Perth in the space of a week. Try and spread the teams more evenly or consider 'away' blocks of matches for teams to minimise travel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

anyone feeling any interest in the NZ ODI series starting on Friday?

Pre- Footy season: Absolutely. But the NRL is on so no, not really. Made a complete and utter hash of it. It's bad enough my Saturday side is losing blokes for finals due to the start of footy let alone actual Internationals clashing with it.

With Matt White axed from Ten as their Head of Sport, it seems like ViacomCBS is gearing Ten to leave the sports world almost entirely ala Channel 5 in Britain (which they own), at least for the foreseeable future - no apparent interest in renewing Rugby Union or Supercars/motorsport. Seven, as mentioned above, has a massive debt pile to deal with. Foxtel is in a downwards spiral. Nine can't buy everything and is clearly struggling to keep their NRL commitment going. ABC and SBS have limited resources.

This makes it highly unlikely cricket will end up having wall-to-wall coverage like Ten were offering up at any point in the next decade. Silly mistake.

it seems like ViacomCBS is gearing Ten to leave the sports world almost entirely

I don't know about that. Ten just made a bid for the entire Spring Carnival

Victorian horse racing authorities are on the verge of rejecting a more lucrative broadcast rights bid from Network Ten to extend a contract with Seven West Media for prestigious races such as the Cox Plate and Caulfield Cup.

A battle over the rights to the famous Spring Racing Carnival is causing ructions among Victorian officials, who have urged governing body Racing Victoria to entertain a bid from Ten.

Sources have told The Australian that Ten had made preliminary inquiries about lodging a bid for the package potentially worth about $4m-$5m annually, or up to $25m over five years.

Ten was keen on the rights given it would add to the Melbourne Cup carnival it audaciously snatched from Seven in a five-year, $100m deal clinched with the Victorian Racing Club, which sells its rights separately to the rest of the Victorian racing season.

All broadcasters are going to be more selective on what sports they're going to bid big money on. 2nd and 3rd tier sports like Rugby Union, Supercars and A-League will need to find alternatives like what the NBL has been able to do.

Victorian horse racing authorities are on the verge of rejecting a more lucrative broadcast rights bid from Network Ten to extend a contract with Seven West Media for prestigious races such as the Cox Plate and Caulfield Cup.

A battle over the rights to the famous Spring Racing Carnival is causing ructions among Victorian officials, who have urged governing body Racing Victoria to entertain a bid from Ten.

Sources have told The Australian that Ten had made preliminary inquiries about lodging a bid for the package potentially worth about $4m-$5m annually, or up to $25m over five years.

And people wonder why the clubs don't want to hand control to an independent commission.

I don't know about that. Ten just made a bid for the entire Spring Carnival

Ten was keen on the rights given it would add to the Melbourne Cup carnival it audaciously snatched from Seven in a five-year, $100m deal clinched with the Victorian Racing Club, which sells its rights separately to the rest of the Victorian racing season.

All broadcasters are going to be more selective on what sports they're going to bid big money on. 2nd and 3rd tier sports like Rugby Union, Supercars and A-League will need to find alternatives like what the NBL has been able to do.

In sports terms, that's a pittance, but it's pretty obvious why they'd do that - they bought the Melbourne Cup last year before the re-merger with Viacom, so now they want to fill out the calendar to make it less costly for them to do the Cup on its own.

No reason 9 wouldn’t take it back
Cricket clashes with the Australian Open, which so far has more successful for Nine compared to what cricket has been for Seven and even Ten before that. I can't see a scenario where Nine gives up the tennis to go back to cricket.

Cricket clashes with the Australian Open, which so far has more successful for Nine compared to what cricket has been for Seven and even Ten before that. I can't see a scenario where Nine gives up the tennis to go back to cricket.
Hard to believe tennis is more popular than cricket. Channel 10 made the Big Bash one of the hottest properties in town, with the proper backing, I would think it would far outstrip the tennis. CA made a huge mistake not going with Channel 10 just to try and scrape over the $1 billion mark. They were going to anchor the whole summer around it.

So unless the bad blood really subsides, Ch7 won’t be bidding for rights for 2024 onwards. So then what? Ch9 have the tennis. ABC & SBS are out due to funding. Ch10, who knows.
At this point it wouldn't surprise if everything goes to Fox.....and that would be absolutely terrible for the game. Could we see a scenario where the ABC/SBS has to pick up some things as no-one else is keen?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back