Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to believe tennis is more popular than cricket. Channel 10 made the Big Bash one of the hottest properties in town, with the proper backing, I would think it would far outstrip the tennis. CA made a huge mistake not going with Channel 10 just to try and scrape over the $1 billion mark. They were going to anchor the whole summer around it.

For summer sports success isn't gauged on the number of eyeballs that watch the sport but of the number of eyeballs that continue with the network afterwards. Tennis has proved to be a better lead-in than cricket. MKR is a good example. Was a ratings juggernaut when it followed the tennis but immediately collapsed when Seven switched to cricket. Even during the BBL's golden era Ten was never able to convert the audience to regular viewers.

For summer sports success isn't gauged on the number of eyeballs that watch the sport but of the number of eyeballs that continue with the network afterwards. Tennis has proved to be a better lead-in than cricket. MKR is a good example. Was a ratings juggernaut when it followed the tennis but immediately collapsed when Seven switched to cricket. Even during the BBL's golden era Ten was never able to convert the audience to regular viewers.
Probably a disconnect between cricket and the shows they want to lead into. Cricket is much more a men's pursuit, whereas MKR probably draws more female viewers. So no matter how good the cricket ratings, those men are less likely to watch some inane reality show. They either need to find a way to draw more women into the cricket, or consider a different inane reality show that men might follow.

But as pointed out, tennis really does only last a few weeks. They still need something for the rest of summer.

Probably a disconnect between cricket and the shows they want to lead into. Cricket is much more a men's pursuit, whereas MKR probably draws more female viewers. So no matter how good the cricket ratings, those men are less likely to watch some inane reality show. They either need to find a way to draw more women into the cricket, or consider a different inane reality show that men might follow.

But as pointed out, tennis really does only last a few weeks. They still need something for the rest of summer.

The tennis covers from New Years until the new show launch in late Jan/ Early Feb. Really all they are missing is December. They can cover thatnwith various best offs and other specials.

In fact it gets awkward for the network when Cricket is on during ratings. Cricket is a big time commitment for a network and so much is dependent on the weather and the touring teams.

Craddock says Seven have every right to take legal action against Cricket Australia due to one specific clause in their contract.

“This is where I believe Channel Seven have got Cricket Australia under the contract clause,” he said.
“It’s very specific – you must deliver a product which is the equal or better to the one you delivered last year. It’s in the contract.

now the real story comes out...

The Australian first reported Seven is interested in State of Origin and could even make a play to take the NRL premiership out of Nine’s hands, beginning in 2023.

Fingers crossed. Seven can run the NRL into the ground while the AFL can get a competent broadcast elsewhere.

Craddock says Seven have every right to take legal action against Cricket Australia due to one specific clause in their contract.

“This is where I believe Channel Seven have got Cricket Australia under the contract clause,” he said.
“It’s very specific – you must deliver a product which is the equal or better to the one you delivered last year. It’s in the contract.

Channel 7 bitch and moan about an unprecedented pandemic causing them issues with debt, then get all up in CA's face as if they are unaffected by the pandemic. If that's the contract clause, it's certainly an odd one and CA have to wear it, but Channel 7 are being entirely unreasonable solely because they have ****ed up the cricket and now don't want to pay for it.

The Australian first reported Seven is interested in State of Origin and could even make a play to take the NRL premiership out of Nine’s hands, beginning in 2023.

Fingers crossed. Seven can run the NRL into the ground while the AFL can get a competent broadcast elsewhere.
I don't know in what world Channel 9 does a better job with the footy than 7.

How the f*#k are CA supposed to be able to have any control over this tho....it’s a global pandemic affecting what is a sport played internationally and reliant on players travelling internationally.

Channel 7 b*tch and moan about an unprecedented pandemic causing them issues with debt, then get all up in CA's face as if they are unaffected by the pandemic. If that's the contract clause, it's certainly an odd one and CA have to wear it, but Channel 7 are being entirely unreasonable solely because they have f’ed up the cricket and now don't want to pay for it.
That’s it over paid for the footy Olympics and cricket and now in a world of hurt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last 5-6 years of Nine's coverage proves they can. At least Brad MacNamara has moved on, maybe they wouldn't be as bad if they got another go. But I expect they would.
Brad McNamara left Nine in 2016 after which Nine tightened up their cricket coverage before losing it. Funnily enough Brad is doing a decent job with Fox's cricket coverage.

Brad McNamara left Nine in 2016 after which Nine tightened up their cricket coverage before losing it. Funnily enough Brad is doing a decent job with Fox's cricket coverage.

A lot of McNamara's decisions would have been pushed by Channel 9 and what they thought would appeal to a mass audience. Fox has the luxury of appealing to people who are paying to watch the cricket, which means the broadcast can be tailored to a more discerning audience.

Channel 7 b*tch and moan about an unprecedented pandemic causing them issues with debt, then get all up in CA's face as if they are unaffected by the pandemic. If that's the contract clause, it's certainly an odd one and CA have to wear it, but Channel 7 are being entirely unreasonable solely because they have f’ed up the cricket and now don't want to pay for it.

CA signed the contract & have been put on notice YET its 7s fault?

So far where the sports generally have delivered a lesser product a haircut has been negotiated. Cricket is in denial, they run the sport & our involvement in international fixturing is their problem.

We see the cooperation between landlords & tenants in the commercial sector coming to an end & almost certainly heading to the Courts. You cant just walk away from contracts.

So far where the sports generally have delivered a lesser product a haircut has been negotiated. Cricket is in denial, they run the sport & our involvement in international fixturing is their problem.
Apples and oranges. AFL and NRL for instance had a reduction in the number of games forcing a renegotiation. While the exact schedule may be altered cricket so far is still guaranteeing that all tests and number of BBL matches won't change.

CA signed the contract & have been put on notice YET its 7s fault?

We see the cooperation between landlords & tenants in the commercial sector coming to an end & almost certainly heading to the Courts. You cant just walk away from contracts.
I have no idea why CA included that clause, it's far too nebulous; has CA put up a 'superior' product if Australia have a thrilling 2-1 series against Sri Lanka one year and then thrash India 4-0 the next? My issue is simply that Channel 7 is criticising CA for things that are out its control (internationals in the Big Bash, fixturing certainty etc) because they want out of the contract. It's a pandemic, things are obviously in flux.

Apples and oranges. AFL and NRL for instance had a reduction in the number of games forcing a renegotiation. While the exact schedule may be altered cricket so far is still guaranteeing that all tests and number of BBL matches won't change.

The common factor is the broadcasters & the demonstrated willingness to negotiate. It will be CAs decision if it ends up in the Courts.

I have no idea why CA included that clause, it's far too nebulous; has CA put up a 'superior' product if Australia have a thrilling 2-1 series against Sri Lanka one year and then thrash India 4-0 the next? My issue is simply that Channel 7 is criticising CA for things that are out its control (internationals in the Big Bash, fixturing certainty etc) because they want out of the contract. It's a pandemic, things are obviously in flux.

Isnt it the BBL that is at the heart of it, effectively will involve Grade players so wont rate, wont attract the advertising dollars.

Isnt it the BBL that is at the heart of it, effectively will involve Grade players so wont rate, wont attract the advertising dollars.
Well, sure, but what can CA do about border closures? Might as well have a crack at 7 for not having any international chefs in Plate of Origin.

Where CA does have some control is scheduling of international games against the Big Bash, which means Australian players can't fill the gap left by the internationals. But again, there are limitations, the BBL is played through Christmas/New Year, which is when Tests are mandated to be played.

I'm not even sure the quality of the cricket is a big factor on the ratings anyway.

Well, sure, but what can CA do about border closures? Might as well have a crack at 7 for not having any international chefs in Plate of Origin.

Where CA does have some control is scheduling of international games against the Big Bash, which means Australian players can't fill the gap left by the internationals. But again, there are limitations, the BBL is played through Christmas/New Year, which is when Tests are mandated to be played.

Dont think we are on the same page. Seems to me its BBL thats really got up 7s kilt. What has changed this year?

Dont think we are on the same page. Seems to me its BBL thats really got up 7s kilt. What has changed this year?
What's changed is Channel 7 thought they were getting a cash cow in the Big Bash, they spent the last two years driving it down through over-exposure, then a pandemic hit and they are up to their eyeballs in debt. They had been planning on an international player draft (that the clubs don't really want) to revive interest in the BBL but the pandemic has put that on ice. So 7 is looking to get a discount to protect their bottom line. I understand exactly why they are doing it, I just don't think it's particularly reasonable.

What's changed is Channel 7 thought they were getting a cash cow in the Big Bash, they spent the last two years driving it down through over-exposure, then a pandemic hit and they are up to their eyeballs in debt. They had been planning on an international player draft (that the clubs don't really want) to revive interest in the BBL but the pandemic has put that on ice. So 7 is looking to get a discount to protect their bottom line. I understand exactly why they are doing it, I just don't think it's particularly reasonable.

Only follow cricket at a distance so I'll accept 7 were responsible for the over exposure of the BBL, I understood it was CA chasing the TV dollars as was every other sport. Quantity over Kwality was only ever going to work for a short time.
7s bottom line is no better than 9 & 10 or Fox, so if they think they will win, its off to the Courts or reach a mutually acceptable settlement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back