Father Jack

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 23, 2006
between hope and reality
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Gideon is reminded of the natural antagonistic relationship between broadcasters and sporting bodies, yet he can't help but fall into the trap of every other hack journo by lamenting the unrewarded loyalty of Ch9. As if Nine's long history of covering rugby league stopped them from fleecing the NRL.

As I alluded to in another thread on here during the week, those who continue to turn their nose up at CA's decision to take that extra $230m in broadcast rights: you don't have a clue about how to keep the game relevant in this country.
How does hiding international white ball cricket behind a paywall help to keep the game relevant in this country?

Teen Wolf

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rancho Carne Toros
How does hiding international white ball cricket behind a paywall help to keep the game relevant in this country?
Clearly the current arrangement brings in more money without sacrificing exposure: 43 BBL games, 4-5 Tests and 30-36 women's matches on FTA per season. Plus 20 and 50 over World Cups (the only white ball internationals that actually matter) when they come around. Every base is covered, a mere fraction of the content is behind a paywall (much less than the AFL's deal).

Father Jack

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 23, 2006
between hope and reality
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Clearly the current arrangement brings in more money without sacrificing exposure: 43 BBL games, 4-5 Tests and 30-36 women's matches on FTA per season. Plus 20 and 50 over World Cups (the only white ball internationals that actually matter) when they come around. Every base is covered, a mere fraction of the content is behind a paywall (much less than the AFL's deal).
I disagree, it would be like the AFL having the first month's worth of games behind a paywall at the start of the season.

Teen Wolf

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rancho Carne Toros
Pre-season games do not equal internationally recognised matches.
Because you say so? CA certainly disagrees, going by their actions.

Let's see, AFL pre-season matches and limited overs bi-laterals/tri-series: popularity peaked in the '90s, no FTA network willing to pay good money for them, teams rarely at full-strength, increasingly scheduled at regional venues and in less desirable slots on the calendar.

Awful lot in common there. Happy to hear an argument as to why I'm wrong (as opposed to the compelling "yeah nah" responses of the last few posts).

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Because you say so? CA certainly disagrees, going by their actions.

Let's see, AFL pre-season matches and limited overs bi-laterals/tri-series: popularity peaked in the '90s, no FTA network willing to pay good money for them, teams rarely at full-strength, increasingly scheduled at regional venues and in less desirable slots on the calendar.

Awful lot in common there. Happy to hear an argument as to why I'm wrong (as opposed to the compelling "yeah nah" responses of the last few posts).
Regardless of any similarities in circumstances, one is a warm-up match, the other is an internationally recognised match that carries competition 'points'.

Cleavy

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn

" Relations between Seven West Media and Cricket Australia have soured to the point where eight independent candidates nominated to settle an argument about the value of the sport code's summer rights have been rejected by each side on the grounds they are not qualified or have conflicts of interest. "

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teen Wolf

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rancho Carne Toros
Regardless of any similarities in circumstances, one is a warm-up match, the other is an internationally recognised match that carries competition 'points'.
Thanks, now we're all clear on what the I in ODI stands for. Regardless of any competition 'points', these bi-lateral white ball series are just treated as preparation for the next world cup (which will always get FTA coverage, no matter how hard you try to pretend otherwise).

Van_Dyke

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 7, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, Glory, Warriors, NOLA,

further restricting the audience of the game that's 'dying' is bound to do good things of restoring it, this piece is from just after the first series that was Fox only (the 3 ODI's v SA had roughly 25% of the audience a bilateral series against SA had just 4 years before that). hell 9's last ODI series which was the one-sided odi's v England in 17/18, still drew about 850-900k on average

Teen Wolf

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rancho Carne Toros
Wow, free-to-air pulls higher ratings than subscription tv, what a revelation...

further restricting the audience of the game that's 'dying'
Who said anything about the game dying? I know I'm talking about it flourishing because of the current broadcast deal.

Nobody here can think of a good reason why cricket should put all of its content on FTA when no other sport does. Maybe footy followers in WA aren't aware of that fact, I don't know.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Wow, free-to-air pulls higher ratings than subscription tv, what a revelation...

Who said anything about the game dying? I know I'm talking about it flourishing because of the current broadcast deal.

Nobody here can think of a good reason why cricket should put all of its content on FTA when no other sport does. Maybe footy followers in WA aren't aware of that fact, I don't know.
No one should have to pay to watch there national cricket team play on tv on home soil.

It’s an absolute disgrace

Van_Dyke

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 7, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chelsea, Glory, Warriors, NOLA,

I was referring to people saying ODIs are dying, which is a pretty common opinion that people hold. wouldn’t exactly say those or the t20Is are exactly flourishing in recent years

Teen Wolf

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rancho Carne Toros
No one should have to pay to watch there national cricket team play on tv on home soil.

It’s an absolute disgrace
Seems pretty entitled. I came to accept the reality of this situation 16-17 years ago, having to sit through an episode of Midsomer Murders instead of watching an epic Indian collapse at the MCG.

I was referring to people saying ODIs are dying, which is a pretty common opinion that people hold. wouldn’t exactly say those or the t20Is are exactly flourishing in recent years
Well a T20I earlier in the year pulled ratings of 825k on Gem (imagine how much more it could've been if good old loyal Nine had the sense to air it on their primary channel) while diversifying the audience. Men's white ball internationals don't play the same role in the summer as they used to, but they don't have to. The current structure allows cricket to make broader gains in the long run.

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Thanks, now we're all clear on what the I in ODI stands for. Regardless of any competition 'points', these bi-lateral white ball series are just treated as preparation for the next world cup (which will always get FTA coverage, no matter how hard you try to pretend otherwise).
You don’t have to value it personally, but you still can’t unilaterally decide it has the same importance as a warm-up match, particularly when cricket often has warm-up matches, just to stress the difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top Bottom