Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Michael Clarke, speaking on Macquarie Sports Radio, owned by Fairfax/Nine, was criticising the TV rights deal secured by News/Seven, neither of whom hired him?

Well blow me down....

Exactly.

Former captains were always on C9s coverage. It was a sure way in. Must be a slap to the face.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Alison Mitchell posted a pic on Instagram telling her followers that she's on her way to Adelaide. How i wish she was tagging Fox Cricket instead of 7Cricket in the photo.

The health of Isa Guha's mother is most important but it'd be good if Isa's mellifluous tones make a return on Fox in time for the 1st test.

Last edited:

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Hertha Berlin
Alison Mitchell posted a pic on Instagram telling her followers that she's on her way to Adelaide. How i wish she was tagging Fox Cricket instead of 7Cricket in the photo.

The health of Isa Guha's mother is most important but it'd be good if Isa's mellifluous tones make a return on Fox in time for the 1st test.

She is such a coup.

I really wish Athers and Ganguly were coming over for Fox or 7 but keen to hear Atapattu

Wolfs

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 10, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Hertha Berlin
Finally got Kayo today, quality is so much better than Foxtel Now! Doesn’t seem to have the buffering issues, and has more content.

Foxtel Now shouldn't be used for Sports tbqh. That's why they made Kayo.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
"In October, Fox Sports announced the creation of their own duck, an as-yet unnamed bird to be voice by Shane Warne. Ominously, Fox head of cricket Matt Weiss has described the new duck as being “cooler,” with “more attitude”"

reminds me of Poochie

The new duck has nothing on Daddles

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
"In October, Fox Sports announced the creation of their own duck, an as-yet unnamed bird to be voice by Shane Warne. Ominously, Fox head of cricket Matt Weiss has described the new duck as being “cooler,” with “more attitude”"

reminds me of Poochie
Let’s hope he goes back to his home planet then.

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Channel 7 covering themselves in glory. Returned from the ads with Nathan Lyon’s attempt a hat trick already bowled and hitting the bat. But good to know what Shaver Shop is selling. ******* clowns.
Don't have that problem with Uncle Rupert ;)

From G. Lemon's Steve Smith's Men:

The Seven deal was a prime example of CA’s general air of disregard for those they deal with. They were obsessed with topping a billion dollars to stand alongside the AFL and NRL. How to get there wasn’t important. Nine was the stale old-school partner. Network Ten had done the game a service, growing the Big Bash from a joke fluorescent league that no one could watch on pay TV to a summer staple in a world that accepted ‘the Brisbane Heat’ as a reasonable concept. People found a new presentation refreshing, it was free to air, and the viewer average jumped from 236,000 a night to nearly a million on Ten. Now the BBL was successful, CA wanted every dollar back.

Nine and Ten offered a joint deal. Amarfio met them for less than fifteen minutes and dismissed it as ‘non-compliant’. Peever asked Ten’s American owner CBS not to ‘include local management as I feel they are not prepared to challenge their operating model to be anything other than bottom feeders’. All totally normal and professional.

Ten went all in: $960 million for the lot. Their secondary channels would broadcast men’s and women’s Big Bash, domestic one-dayers, even the white elephant Sheffield Shield. It could have been an amazing coup for cricket. But you may have noticed that 960 million is less than a billion. So CA signed all the valuable games to Foxtel, as long as a free-to-air partner would simulcast Tests and some BBL.

Ten was told this was now all they could bid for. They offered $80 million a year and Sutherland shook on it. Then Seven was allowed another bid, worth $82 million. The network that had revitalised cricket broadcasting and made CA’s risky Big Bash gamble a winner was punted over comparative pocket change.

Back