Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon
Can't believe CA agreed to a deal where there is no cricket on FTA on a Saturday.
I'm surprised this hasn't been commented on more often. It feels everyone has been sleeping on Foxtel having dominion over Saturday's. All the BBL games on Saturday nights have been fox exclusive. And last night's game was an exclusive to Fox as well, probably to make up for today's game.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
I'm surprised this hasn't been commented on more often. It feels everyone has been sleeping on Foxtel having dominion over Saturday's. All the BBL games on Saturday nights have been fox exclusive. And last night's game was an exclusive to Fox as well, probably to make up for today's game.

That's the difference with the AFL, even though they sold the rights to some games to Foxtel they would still have FTA games on Friday and Saturday night.

You could just imagine the uproar if there was no AFL on FTA on Friday night or Saturday during the footy season.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That's the difference with the AFL, even though they sold the rights to some games to Foxtel they would still have FTA games on Friday and Saturday night.

You could just imagine the uproar if there was no AFL on FTA on Friday night or Saturday during the footy season.
Maybe not in all states, but no FTA footy on Saturday night can happen on bye weeks.

Apr 7, 2010
La Capanna Restaurant.
AFL Club
Essendon

haven't they given up Saturday afternoons though? We get some Thursday night games in return but it's not the same. Over the past 10 years we've gone from Foxtel basically broadcasting games at the same time as a FTA channel is showing a game, to now Foxtel having 3 games on Saturday to themselves before a FTA game is shown, plus the bulk of the Sun twilight game doesn't clash with a FTA game. the AFL has done a similar thing, just a bit more carefully and over time.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
The big question will be how much money CB$ is willing to throw at Australian sport.

The fact that they bought a whole network suggests to me that the answer is 'a lot' - even though it's probably only a stepping stone for the long-term future of streamed television.

I don't think CA has much interest in doing what the ECB did and hiding cricket away from the masses.
Wrong

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I can't see Foxtel getting even part of the BBL exclusively. The BBL is successful not because of the standard of cricket or big names playing. But because it takes up a lot of dead time during the summer. Putting on Foxtel is as good as not broadcasting it. If it means the comp creeps into February, then the tv stations will deal with it.
They have

janty

All Australian
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I have Foxtel so I'm set. Get to watch every cricket and AFL game live for $44 a month on the povo Foxtel Now on Xbox.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
But we’ll be paying for it over the next five years.

Its not now you need to worry about its 25 years when our next generation of cricketers are missing. For each international match hidden behind a paywall something like 3 million people wont watch it. So if there's only 10 odi's matches hidden away thats 30 million views that the sport doesnt get. Kids who will be deciding what sport they want to play. Kids who want to emulate the deeds of those they would otherwise have followed. This 5 year deal will kill cricket.

Back