Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not now you need to worry about its 25 years when our next generation of cricketers are missing. For each international match hidden behind a paywall something like 3 million people wont watch it. So if there's only 10 odi's matches hidden away thats 30 million views that the sport doesnt get. Kids who will be deciding what sport they want to play. Kids who want to emulate the deeds of those they would otherwise have followed. This 5 year deal will kill cricket.

Jesus Christ. Hyperbole much? This deal will go nowhere close to "killing cricket". There is still currently more cricket on FTA television than there's every been before.

This oft-repeated argument about kids choosing other sports because one isn't visible is ridiculous. Football is the most played organised team sport among children in the country - the A-League has always been "hidden away" on pay tv with one game a week stashed away on a digital multi channel.

Kids will play whatever they have access to, whatever their parents push them into playing, and whatever their friends play. They aren't deciding what they're going to play based on television. Kids now don't *in watch tv anyway.

Its not now you need to worry about its 25 years when our next generation of cricketers are missing. For each international match hidden behind a paywall something like 3 million people wont watch it. So if there's only 10 odi's matches hidden away thats 30 million views that the sport doesnt get. Kids who will be deciding what sport they want to play. Kids who want to emulate the deeds of those they would otherwise have followed. This 5 year deal will kill cricket.
The first paywalled ODI got about 200k on Foxtel, not counting streams, which could be another maybe 50-100k.

FTA ODIs have been getting around 1m in recent times. So your figures are way out.

Jesus Christ. Hyperbole much? This deal will go nowhere close to "killing cricket". There is still currently more cricket on FTA television than there's every been before.

This oft-repeated argument about kids choosing other sports because one isn't visible is ridiculous. Football is the most played organised team sport among children in the country - the A-League has always been "hidden away" on pay tv with one game a week stashed away on a digital multi channel.

Kids will play whatever they have access to, whatever their parents push them into playing, and whatever their friends play. They aren't deciding what they're going to play based on television. Kids now don't ****in watch tv anyway.
It was over the top, but the line ‘there’s never been more cricket on TV’ is Channel 7 spin. Yes, there’s a lot of women’s cricket to make up for the fact there is now less men’s cricket than in many years. The overall effect of this is hard to gauge but my boy loves cricket, watches it whoever it’s on but now won’t get to see the international men’s team play 50 or 20 over cricket. It’s locked away.

Kids will play whatever they have access to, whatever their parents push them into playing, and whatever their friends play. They aren't deciding what they're going to play based on television. Kids now don't ****in watch tv anyway.
Mate if you think stopping the vast majority of people from watching the game wont hurt cricket here then you are as big a fool as the idiots inCA who agreed to this disgrace.

Mate if you think stopping the vast majority of people from watching the game wont hurt cricket here then you are as big a fool as the idiots inCA who agreed to this disgrace.

Right, good use of evidence to retort use of basic fact :rolleyes:

If you think that the majority of people give a s**t about ODIs - a form of the game only relevant every 4 years during the World Cup - you are as big a fool as the idiots selecting our test team.

It was over the top, but the line ‘there’s never been more cricket on TV’ is Channel 7 spin. Yes, there’s a lot of women’s cricket to make up for the fact there is now less men’s cricket than in many years. The overall effect of this is hard to gauge but my boy loves cricket, watches it whoever it’s on but now won’t get to see the international men’s team play 50 or 20 over cricket. It’s locked away.

I don't know what happened with the T20s before the tests, it was my understanding that the were supposed to be on channel 7.

It's not just women's cricket, we're getting more big bash now as well. If your boy loves cricket and you don't have foxtel, he's still getting to watch more than before. (Hopefully you've taught him that the women are absolutely worth watching as well.)

I guess I'm a little bit less sympathetic about things being "locked" behind a paywall now that they've launched a streaming service for 25 bucks a month, that's pretty damn reasonable I reckon.

If I wanted to watch womens cricket I may as well go down and watch our local juniors.
No, I just want to watch the mens ODI's without being forced to pay Team Scum [ foxtel ] a single cent.
CA and CH 7 need ******* up the arse or a major boycott of some of the other s**t they dish up, may make them think again.

If I wanted to watch womens cricket I may as well go down and watch our local juniors.
No, I just want to watch the mens ODI's without being forced to pay Team Scum [ foxtel ] a single cent.
CA and CH 7 need ******* up the arse or a major boycott of some of the other s**t they dish up, may make them think again.

So much entitlement and sexism in a single post.

Unfortunately in a capitalist society, if you want something you pay for it.

This line I keep reading that "I pay by watching ads" is the biggest pile of garbage. You aren't paying for s**t, advertisers are - and if advertisers won't pay for it to the point that the broadcaster can make money from it (or at least break even) then the broadcaster won't pay for it.

You aren't entitled to anything for free just because it's always been free.

Of course the irony is that people typically spend the entirety of ODI matches whinging about what an irrelevance it's become anyway.

So much entitlement and sexism in a single post.

Unfortunately in a capitalist society, if you want something you pay for it.

This line I keep reading that "I pay by watching ads" is the biggest pile of garbage. You aren't paying for s**t, advertisers are - and if advertisers won't pay for it to the point that the broadcaster can make money from it (or at least break even) then the broadcaster won't pay for it.

You aren't entitled to anything for free just because it's always been free.

Of course the irony is that people typically spend the entirety of ODI matches whinging about what an irrelevance it's become anyway.

"the broadcaster" known as ten was willing to pay a lot of money to get all australian cricket on fta

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Women's cricket doesn't make up for missing out on any of the odi or bbl.

There may now be more bbl games screened on 7 than any previous season on 10. But it was on every night with 10, it was reliable. More games screened doesn't make up for the nights where there's no game on.

There'll be two games on 7 tonight, but it's one night of viewing. so it doesn't matter that there's two games on. You'd get your fill with one game.

"the broadcaster" known as ten was willing to pay a lot of money to get all australian cricket on fta

But offered less than their competitors, indicating their awareness that an element of the deal (be it ODIs or something else) wasn't going to be able to make up the monetary difference.

But offered less than their competitors, indicating their awareness that an element of the deal (be it ODIs or something else) wasn't going to be able to make up the monetary difference.

So CA is duty bound to pick something that will reach far less people, despite the potential long-term economics of it being better?

So CA is duty bound to pick something that will reach far less people, despite the potential long-term economics of it being better?

I wasn't commenting on CA's decision making, only on the entitlement of people who think they are owed free cricket, and on the hyperbolic statement that the tv deal will "kill cricket".

I wasn't commenting on CA's decision making, only on the entitlement of people who think they are owed free cricket, and on the hyperbolic statement that the tv deal will "kill cricket".

Mate get real...if kids at round Australia miss out on watching it then of course participation rates will drop.. CA had the mix right with CH10 and they completely balls it up

CA rely on us as much as we do them. Let’s not act like ‘free cricket’ is a magnanimous act by them. Being available to everyone is more valuable than hard dollars and cents. But as Bill Hicks said 30 years ago, some campaigner is always trying to put a dollar figure on ******* everything.

Last edited:
Mate get real...if kids at round Australia miss out on watching it then of course participation rates will drop.. CA had the mix right with CH10 and they completely balls it up

They aren't really missing out though are they? You can watch BBL 5-6 days a week for 2 months this season, and there's plenty of WBBL on during the week and on the weekend as well. And as I already said, the A-League and Socceroos being almost entirely on pay tv hasn't hurt participation in football.

If people are concerned about engaging kids, I'd suggest looking at the crowd demographics of BBL vs ODIs. Given the choice, it seems kids would rather watch BBL anyway.

If 10 were willing to broadcast Sheffield Shield of all things (Bunch of Americans saying "YES" to Sheffield Shield?), then it's pretty disappointing CA reneged on their agreement.

I don't think CA reneged on their agreement with Ch10, they were really only interested in taking the Ch7/Foxtel deal and ignored other offers.

No doubt Sutherland and co got a nice kickback from Foxtel to give them some exclusive rights to games this summer and now that the deal is done they have ridden off into the sunset and left other people to deal with the consequences.

Well considering that all international home games are on the anti-siphoning list I think people are entitled to question why ODIs and T20s aren't on FTA.

Ch7 entered into a deal where they agreed to not take the option of showing ODIs and T20s so that Foxtel could show them exclusively.

That wouldn't be so bad if no other FTA stations were willing to show them but Ch10 would've showed them for slightly less than the Ch7/Foxtel offer.

I don't think CA reneged on their agreement with Ch10, they were really only interested in taking the Ch7/Foxtel deal and ignored other offers.

No doubt Sutherland and co got a nice kickback from Foxtel to give them some exclusive rights to games this summer and now that the deal is done they have ridden off into the sunset and left other people to deal with the consequences.

Well considering that all international home games are on the anti-siphoning list I think people are entitled to question why ODIs and T20s aren't on FTA.

Ch7 entered into a deal where they agreed to not take the option of showing ODIs and T20s so that Foxtel could show them exclusively.

That wouldn't be so bad if no other FTA stations were willing to show them but Ch10 would've showed them for slightly less than the Ch7/Foxtel offer.

If our national team is playing my kids should be able to watch them

If our national team is playing my kids should be able to watch them

It was a disgraceful deal from CA, Sutherland tried to hoodwink the Australian public by saying there would be more cricket than ever on FTA but more WBBL matches doesn't make up for not showing ODIs, T20s and some BBL matches. They've got an extra $200m now but it will cost them more in the long run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back