big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
You know what I mean...no kid no matter their parents financial situation should have to pay for the right to watch their national cricket team play...it's where they find their heroes
It's not a right, it's a privilege. And it's a privilege not given to lots of other sports.

vicpride

Club Legend
May 11, 2014
Every year i go to the Melbourne ODI with four mates and make a day of it. This year i put it up on Facebook and nobody even knew the 50 over games were currently being played.. with modern technology and options I'm astounded cricket wouldn't want to be front of mind and exposed to a greater audience. The big bash is a pathetic standard of cricket with no feeling whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

big_e

Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Most sports aren't central to Australian culture.
Cricket isn't either. I love cricket more than any other sport but to suggest it's central to Australian culture is fanciful. Indeed, for a significant number of people, it is a complete irrelevance. The most watched cricket match in any given year is watched by, what, 5% of the population?

big_e

Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
I completely disagree. If cricket wants to remain a national favourite and pass time then it needs to remain accessible to all no matter what their socio economic circumstances
That's fine, but it's an argument to be put to CA.

Here are the most recent 30 tests played by Australia:

vs India - 4 tests Yes on FTA
vs Pakistan - 2 tests No
vs SA - 4 tests No
vs England - 5 tests Yes
vs Bangladesh - 2 tests No
vs India - 4 tests No
vs Pakistan - 3 tests Yes
vs South Africa - 3 tests Yes
vs Sri Lanka - 3 tests No

Half of them were on FTA, the other half weren't. We accept this. And we'll get used to ODIs being behind a paywall, too.

Cricket isn't either. I love cricket more than any other sport but to suggest it's central to Australian culture is fanciful. Indeed, for a significant number of people, it is a complete irrelevance. The most watched cricket match in any given year is watched by, what, 5% of the population?

hahaha, did you not notice how much of an impact sandpapergate in the news? Cricket is absolutely considered a sport central to Australian culture. Beach/backyard/street cricket is a stereotypical part of summer.

big_e

Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
hahaha, did you not notice how much of an impact sandpapergate in the news? Cricket is absolutely considered a sport central to Australian culture. Beach/backyard/street cricket is a stereotypical part of summer.
It's a popular sport, yes, possibly the most popular. It's always been a very white sport, though, and while that remains the case - and it does - it is central to the lives of a sector of the Australian population, but there are huge numbers of Australians from whom it's completely irrelevant.

It's a popular sport, yes, possibly the most popular. It's always been a very white sport, though, and while that remains the case - and it does - it is central to the lives of a sector of the Australian population, but there are huge numbers of Australians from whom it's completely irrelevant.

"A very white sport" - what culture are subcontinentals?

Many culturally central things are irrelevant to large swathes of people. Doesn't stop it from being central.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Every year i go to the Melbourne ODI with four mates and make a day of it. This year i put it up on Facebook and nobody even knew the 50 over games were currently being played.. with modern technology and options I'm astounded cricket wouldn't want to be front of mind and exposed to a greater audience. The big bash is a pathetic standard of cricket with no feeling whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

I usually count down like a mad man anticipating the first international game of the summer. That break between footy ending and cricket starting is a tough period, made all the more worse when people give you the 'but the Spring carnival?' solution. That's like when you were a kid and would say you were hungry and your Mum would tell you to have fruit or a glass of water.
Anyway, I couldn't agree with your comment any more. I didn't know the first one day game against South Africa was on until the day before it. My parents have Foxtel and I just use the app to watch them on my phone (TV won't let me Chromecast). Still an absolute joke it isn't on free to air though.
If you are a kid in a family without pay TV and you love your Hobat Hurricanes, imagine come finals time when they are a huge shot at winning it but you have no way of watching it. It's these things clearly nobody thought about it.

big_e

Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
"A very white sport" - what culture are subcontinentals?

Many culturally central things are irrelevant to large swathes of people. Doesn't stop it from being central.
Grossly under-represented in club and suburban cricket. NZ has more test players from the sub continent than we do FC cricketers.
South east and East Asians almost non-existent.

I usually count down like a mad man anticipating the first international game of the summer. That break between footy ending and cricket starting is a tough period, made all the more worse when people give you the 'but the Spring carnival?' solution. That's like when you were a kid and would say you were hungry and your Mum would tell you to have fruit or a glass of water.
Anyway, I couldn't agree with your comment any more. I didn't know the first one day game against South Africa was on until the day before it. My parents have Foxtel and I just use the app to watch them on my phone (TV won't let me Chromecast). Still an absolute joke it isn't on free to air though.
If you are a kid in a family without pay TV and you love your Hobat Hurricanes, imagine come finals time when they are a huge shot at winning it but you have no way of watching it. It's these things clearly nobody thought about it.

That’s a weird example given the BBL finals will be on free to air.

Unless it's changed, when they announced the deal all the BBL finals were exclusive to Foxtel.
Or I read it wrong which sounds more plausible.

If Seven signed a deal where they didn't have the Big Bash finals rights it'll be as big a blunder as Nine signing for the football rights and letting 10 have the finals.

rippersnipper

What up son, whatever
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Honestly couldn't care less about missing out on BBL games and Intl T20s, but I'm furious about not getting ODIs on FTA. ODIs are arguably the best form of cricket because both a batsman's defence and attack are properly tested. To miss out on that is absolutely ridiculous.

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Honestly couldn't care less about missing out on BBL games and Intl T20s, but I'm furious about not getting ODIs on FTA. ODIs are arguably the best form of cricket because both a batsman's defence and attack are properly tested. To miss out on that is absolutely ridiculous.

Have you watched one day cricket in the last ten years?

Nah, ODI's are boring and have been for years.

Every game, we see overs 20-40 with spinners operating at both ends, and the batsmen knocking it around for five singles in an over. Defensive fields don't add to the spectacle either.

Nah, ODI's are boring and have been for years.

Every game, we see overs 20-40 with spinners operating at both ends, and the batsmen knocking it around for five singles in an over. Defensive fields don't add to the spectacle either.

This has not been the case for a while.

rippersnipper

What up son, whatever
Jun 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Have you watched one day cricket in the last ten years?
Depends on the pitch and the bowling obviously, like all cricket, but last week's ODI was proof of this. Both teams lost early wickets and needed to stabilise before expressing themselves. That's what you want to see and you don't get that in either test cricket or T20 cricket due to the length of the innings.

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
The people on their high horse about entitlement and privilege are clearly living in their own bubble. It's not just about having to pay for Cricket, it's about having to pay Foxtel every month for a load of ****** channels no one wants.

International Cricket regardless of the format should be on FTA no matter what, there's no excuses for it not to be and Cricket Australia are an utter disgrace for it going down the road of the ECB and locking part of the home summer behind a third party paywall. We're very lucky Channel 9 still have the rights to the Ashes as I have no doubt they would've been Foxtel exclusive too if they didn't.

There is a compromise, the FTA could include the stupid My Kitchen Rules promos etc. with a paid option on other platforms that's ad free with a commentary team focused more on integrity.

The fact our only option is the utterly outdated and greedy Foxtel model really shows Cricket Australia's failure and that they were out for a quick cash grab.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
The people on their high horse about entitlement and privilege are clearly living in their own bubble. It's not just about having to pay for Cricket, it's about having to pay Foxtel every month for a load of ****** channels no one wants.

International Cricket regardless of the format should be on FTA no matter what, there's no excuses for it not to be and Cricket Australia are an utter disgrace for it going down the road of the ECB and locking part of the home summer behind a third party paywall. We're very lucky Channel 9 still have the rights to the Ashes as I have no doubt they would've been Foxtel exclusive too if they didn't.

There is a compromise, the FTA could include the stupid My Kitchen Rules promos etc. with a paid option on other platforms that's ad free with a commentary team focused more on integrity.

The fact our only option is the utterly outdated and greedy Foxtel model really shows Cricket Australia's failure and that they were out for a quick cash grab.

Where have you been the last few months?

There's a streaming option now for $25 a month that's just the sport channels - no other "load of ******* channels no one wants" and quite the opposite of an "utterly outdated...Foxtel model."

Back