Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
Where have you been the last few months?

There's a streaming option now for $25 a month that's just the sport channels - no other "load of ******* channels no one wants" and quite the opposite of an "utterly outdated...Foxtel model."
Not everybody can justify spending that. A lot of people literally struggle to pay rent every month, buy nutritious food and other necessities. Yet you just lump them all together and tell them to pay whatever they need to pay in order to watch something they enjoy and have enjoyed for free in the past.

If I hadn't seen you on other boards I'd assume you were bog average conservative.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
If you’re struggling to pay the rent I’d say you have bigger issues than the fact you can’t watch ODI’s anymore on free to air
Bigger issues? Sure. More grievance than others about the game being ripped off free to air despite being on the anti-siphoning list and a free to air broadcaster willing to show it? Definitely. They would be more in need of free entertainment than the rest of us.

eltrain

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
MVFC, Everton, Red Sox, Bruins
Two things can be true at once here. It’s obviously in cricket’s best interest for all international games in Australia to be broadcast on FTA TV. You want the game to be as easily accessible to as many people as possible. The average casual viewer will fill the entertainment void with something else if cricket is not front and centre.

However as far as rusted on fans are concerned, we’re not talking about significant sums of money here. It’s $6 a week, for four weeks. If you’re that desperate to watch ODI cricket I’m sure there is some small sacrifice that can be made to come up with that. There are obviously instances where it’s not possible to scrape $6 a week together, but those would be a tiny minority of cases. It’s an annoyance and an inconvenience to pay to watch ODI cricket, sure, but I think the claims being made that it’s so far out of reach for the average Australian are a bit much.

As I said though, these games should be on FTA TV. Terrible decision on CA’s part to put so much at risk for the sake of a few million extra dollars.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

There's a streaming option now for $25 a month that's just the sport channels - no other "load of ******* channels no one wants" and quite the opposite of an "utterly outdated...Foxtel model."
Thats still an eye watering $300 a year. Fkuc off people arent going to pay that, cricket will just fade away as it deserves too. Hate the pricks who designed this disaster.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
If you’re struggling to pay the rent I’d say you have bigger issues than the fact you can’t watch ODI’s anymore on free to air
Bottom line is 2/3rds of Australians just wont bother. Why should they? Its like paying a third of an AFL membership to watch a few odi games on tv that should be and has always been free to air. Astonishing greed and incompetence causing long term harm to our sport from those who are short term custodians of the game.

Last edited:

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

My old man is semi retired, he doesn't have foxtel and doesn't have fast enough internet for a streaming service. But * him right it's really easy?

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
My old man is semi retired, he doesn't have foxtel and doesn't have fast enough internet for a streaming service. But **** him right it's really easy?
Or those single mums whose budgets are too stretched but their kids want to watch cricket.

The mothers should pull themselves up by their bootstraps, eh, nobbyiscool?

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Just reading Sutherlands comments at the announcement from april 2018. More free to air content than ever he says! Because mens cricket has been replaced by women's cricket!!! To get around anti siphoning laws. The Minister signing off on this should be shot.

It's ridicolous this push of wines sport. Womens sport is ******* terrible. AFLW is horrific and womens cricket is a joke. This force fed propaganda that it's good is ******.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda

It's a simple pleasure and escape for people no matter what their circumstances. Cricket is a game for everyone not just those more fortunate

Looking down on people who might be less fortunate than us?

You sound like a great person.

I didn't realise that we were judging people's character solely on what they thought of a cricket rights deal?

It's a simple pleasure and escape for people no matter what their circumstances. Cricket is a game for everyone not just those more fortunate

I don't know how you cope during footy season - there's a far greater percentage of international cricket on Free to Air than most people get to watch their teams home and away games.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I cant believe old mate (above) is arguing for the current disgrace of a tv deal. The pricks have shut away all mens international 20/20, one dayers and half of the BBL. Effectively replaced it with womens cricket so that that prick Sutherland could announce that there's more cricket than ever!!

I cant believe old mate (above) is arguing for the current disgrace of a tv deal. The pricks have shut away all mens international 20/20, one dayers and half of the BBL. Effectively replaced it with womens cricket so that that prick Sutherland could announce that there's more cricket than ever!!

Is it perfect - no. Is it the end of the world - no. The no International One Dayer's is disappointing, but for at least a decade the pervading feeling by cricket journalists and members of the public were that these were meaningless games that should be scrapped and now people are crying that they can't watch them for free? The Big Bash has the same number of free to air games as it did last year - it hasn't been diminished by foxtel having access to 16 out of 59 games exclusively. My biggest complaint is that Seven has let Foxtel have Saturday nights as exclusive - I was hoping that the exclusives would have been the first part of a double header or mid-week games.

You'd be surprised at how good the Women's cricket can be. Go watch Harmanpreet Kaur hit a six over cover of Elyse Perry do anything and tell me that's not a high level of skill.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Is it perfect - no. Is it the end of the world - no. The no International One Dayer's is disappointing, but for at least a decade the pervading feeling by cricket journalists and members of the public were that these were meaningless games that should be scrapped and now people are crying that they can't watch them for free? The Big Bash has the same number of free to air games as it did last year - it hasn't been diminished by foxtel having access to 16 out of 59 games exclusively. My biggest complaint is that Seven has let Foxtel have Saturday nights as exclusive - I was hoping that the exclusives would have been the first part of a double header or mid-week games.

You'd be surprised at how good the Women's cricket can be. Go watch Harmanpreet Kaur hit a six over cover of Elyse Perry do anything and tell me that's not a high level of skill.

Women's cricket is a ******* joke. Don't pretend it isn't.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
If people were given the choice between watching men's ODIs/T20s and women's cricket I don't think too many would be choosing the latter.

If women's cricket was so popular CA and Foxtel would have put it behind a paywall instead but no one would pay to watch it.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

The BBL has been diminished. If the AFL added another 4 rounds and put them on Stan nobody with Seven and Foxtel would go "Oh it's really the same as last year". You can't pretend the new games don't count.

The BBL has been diminished. If the AFL added another 4 rounds and put them on Stan nobody with Seven and Foxtel would go "Oh it's really the same as last year". You can't pretend the new games don't count.

When Gold Coast and GWS came into the comp we were getting 9 games a round and still only 4 on FTA and there hasn’t been rioting in the streets about that

That's because there was always at least one game on to sit down and watch...you are not comparing apples with apples

Is there? Saturday afternoon games are becoming increasingly rarer, replaces with Thursday or Monday nights when they can

Dec 28, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Don't care. My best highlights would look pretty good aswell especially if they brought the boundary ropes in for me.

However female cricketers are becoming more aesthetically pleasing regarding techniques both batting and bowling.

The AFLW should aspire to become more of how female cricket is being played currently. It is entertaining and actually is skilled.

Compared to AFLW where it looks unskilled and another form of welfare for semi-athletic women.

Back