Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
It gets worse. One international ODI and one BBL game on the same day, neither on free-to-air TV. Seven ****** their audience.

They are showing a WBBL game today to make up for it, I'm sure people will be tuning into that in droves, no BBL game today though, that's on Fox too.

Great deal.

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
I am a bit torn over this. As a matter of principle I think it's wrong that so much of the cricket season is not accessible via free to air coverage. Sport should be for everyone to enjoy and we're not talking about niche stuff here. On the other hand the Fox coverage is just so much better than what 7 and 9 serve up. Same with the footy.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
It’s fair to say, if you’re a fan of men’s cricket, 7’s international coverage is substantially worse than 9’s and its BBL coverage is worse than 10s’s.
I disagree a little. I think their coverage is light-years ahead of Nine's, but their BBL coverage a little behind Ten's. Aside from the amount of content they're able to show, I think they've been absolutely excellent.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I disagree a little. I think their coverage is light-years ahead of Nine's, but their BBL coverage a little behind Ten's. Aside from the amount of content they're able to show, I think they've been absolutely excellent.
I’m solely talking about content. No ODIs, no international T20, no BBL every weekend constantly breaking up the flow of the season. It’s shithouse and well behind what we were getting on 9 and 10.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
I’m solely talking about content. No ODIs, no international T20, no BBL every weekend constantly breaking up the flow of the season. It’s shithouse and well behind what we were getting on 9 and 10.
Quantity of content wise, I couldn't agree more- it's incredibly sad. But the quality has been fantastic.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Quantity of content wise, I couldn't agree more- it's incredibly sad. But the quality has been fantastic.
It’s damaging to ODIs, which has been talked about a lot. But Channel 10 made the BBL by making it a school holiday event. Now there’s no BBL on weekends when kids of all ages are going to be most able to stay up and watch every minute, the flow of the season gets interrupted, you’re more likely to forget games are on if the coverage is intermittent. I think it has the potential to stifle the growth 10 built.

RobRocket

Debutant
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

Let’s not forget with tests, we can’t watch the coin toss, we can’t hear any post match analysis on seven,unlike with nine. I like the commentary team at 7 which is a good thing. But everything else is terrible. Nine at least had proper analysis , after each game. Tennis belongs on 7 and Cricket belongs at nine. And finally our cricket team, has always been the team the entire nation could support.

Not everyone here supports StKilda or Cronulla, but everyone can support Australia. And we can’t support the Socceroos because let’s be honest they most likely won’t win a World Cup in our life. Thus, our cricket team is the only team everyone in Australia can truly get behind. Putting our men’s team behind a paywall for white ball games is a disgrace. And quite frankly we deserve losing series because of this. I saw a bit of the India v Aus game yesterday, we were completely outnumbered in the crowd , imagine the uproar that would happen in India, if they couldn’t watch their team play. Lets be honest, not many people are going to buy a $100 to go to an ODI game in the heat, as an alternative to not being able to watch it on TV.

Rant over.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne derby tonight, with Finch, Maxwell, Stoinis and plenty of stars rumoured to be back for both sides. Channel 7 showing The Peanuts movie.
This is deadset unbelievable. This coming from someone with access to Foxtel by the way.

flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg

the feeling when you remember the BBL is on, then realise it's a Fox exclusive game

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
After enjoying Fox's coverage of the cricket its painful going back to FTA for the tennis. Potato picture quality and incessant Uber eat ads.

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Came across this video on twitter.

I know that the AFL is a very popular sport in Australia but was surprised by the crowd number for the women's AFL. I can't imagine any women's cricket match attracting such a crowd barring possibly the women's ODI world cup final that happened at Lords last time. And apparently it's on FTA as well. Has Cricket Australia shot in its foot by putting cricket behind the paywall? I know test cricket is still fta but how many kids these days watch a test match, they would rather watch more fast paced formats like t20s or switch to other sports in their absence.

I wonder if cricket will become a minority sport in Australia like it happened in England after cricket was put behind paywall in 2005.

swanssince2002

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 21, 2018
21kms from Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
And one of the guys who were responsible for this horrible deal got sacked. Thanks for nothing again CA. Channel 10 was gonna give great exposure to all forms of cricket and it gets ruined. UGHHH

I know that the AFL is a very popular sport in Australia but was surprised by the crowd number for the women's AFL. I can't imagine any women's cricket match attracting such a crowd barring possibly the women's ODI world cup final that happened at Lords last time. And apparently it's on FTA as well. Has Cricket Australia shot in its foot by putting cricket behind the paywall? I know test cricket is still fta but how many kids these days watch a test match, they would rather watch more fast paced formats like t20s or switch to other sports in their absence.

I wonder if cricket will become a minority sport in Australia like it happened in England after cricket was put behind paywall in 2005.

Free entry, no competition, first game of the season - and yes, some people just want to watch footy and nothing else.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

First women's game for Geelong, first footy of any kind since September, free entry, etc, etc, etc. Perfect storm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back