Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

It is probably in Foxtels best interest to sit this one out in the short term and see how the cards fall after Ch 7 and CA thrash it out. Very real chance that if 7 or CA spit the dummy, that a new contract with better terms for Foxtel might be in play.

I wouldn't be shocked if Channel 7 walked away, and in the fall out we ended up with Foxtel getting exclusive sessions of the cricket, particularly given how it seems networks want the cricket more as a lead in to news/TV as opposed to a stand-alone product.

Something like only the last session of the day on free to air, or even an English style highlights package each day as opposed to live coverage, is probably in play rightly or wrongly.

It is probably in Foxtels best interest to sit this one out in the short term and see how the cards fall after Ch 7 and CA thrash it out. Very real chance that if 7 or CA spit the dummy, that a new contract with better terms for Foxtel might be in play.

I wouldn't be shocked if Channel 7 walked away, and in the fall out we ended up with Foxtel getting exclusive sessions of the cricket, particularly given how it seems networks want the cricket more as a lead in to news/TV as opposed to a stand-alone product.

Something like only the last session of the day on free to air, or even an English style highlights package each day as opposed to live coverage, is probably in play rightly or wrongly.

You would think at a minimum we won't see both Fox and Seven flying big production teams around for Test Matches. We might see one feed with one set of commentors like the AFL?

I think commentating off of a TV screen from Victoria/NSW is more likely, but it is definitely possible that Channel 7 decide to just take the Foxtel feed perhaps with a panel show of Ponting and a few others during drinks and breaks (similar to Woodbridge/Healy and the 2019 Ashes)
I think that’s a big possibility for this Summer.

As to the previous point about tests not being on FTA other than highlights/ final sessions - it’s probably just not possible mid broadcast deal given the other commercial agreements CA would have that are contingent on tests being on FTA. Combine that with the massive PR fallout, Fox not being flush with cash themselves to buy exclusivity, an interest from 9 and the lack of a channel willing to do a deal with Fox for that test exclusivity and it’s hard to see it happening currently.

My money would be on it being sold to the ABC on the (relative) cheap before it being put behind a paywall.

The BBL on the other hand is a totally different kettle of fish and I think it may be on Pay TV only this year.

It's funny how channel 7 and fox are being bad faith actors towards CA after CA stitched up channel 10 during the original rights negotiations. 7 and Fox don't have a leg to stand on but CA are getting their just deserts for being so absolutely incompetent, short sighted and seemingly egotistical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's funny how channel 7 and fox are being bad faith actors towards CA after CA stitched up channel 10 during the original rights negotiations. 7 and Fox don't have a leg to stand on but CA are getting their just deserts for being so absolutely incompetent, short sighted and seemingly egotistical.

Missed your experience in the media field, do law at Monash?

Missed your experience in the media field, do law at Monash?

Sure because you know this is the internet so yeah I have multiple degrees in law and the media and guess what I am even the king of the moon! Imagine that! The honour of conversing with a king you must feel pretty special right now :kissingheart:

Sure because you know this is the internet so yeah I have multiple degrees in law and the media and guess what I am even the king of the moon! Imagine that! The honour of conversing with a king you must feel pretty special right now :kissingheart:

Thanks for that. Bad faith actors was the clue.

No real surprise, there would be so much outrage of they didn't cover a women's international. Some would claim it as a snub to women's sport.

I sense this will all get sorted. Seven might off load some BBL games to Fox and scale back their coverage but I doubt they will walk away all together.

No real surprise, there would be so much outrage of they didn't cover a women's international. Some would claim it as a snub to women's sport.

I sense this will all get sorted. Seven might off load some BBL games to Fox and scale back their coverage but I doubt they will walk away all together.

Are you expecting Fox to pay or would CA pick up the tab ?

I think Fox will pay for extra games. Not at the rate Seven bought them but still at a reasonable rate. I think Fox really want more of the BBL and will find the money.

As you have probably guessed I am not expert, just a guess.😁

I'm no expert either, I do tend to follow the money, who pays & what they get for it. None of the media companies in Aus are travelling well financially given the weak advertising spend.

Fox subscriber growth (including Kayo) is attributed to sport:

Pay-television and streaming operator Foxtel Group has a record near two million sports subscribers, driven by its extensive coverage of the NRL, AFL and motorsports.
Chief executive Patrick Delany said its streaming service Kayo has more than 600,000 paid subscribers now following the resumption of live sport at the end of May as coronavirus restrictions eased.
That compared with 542,000 paid subscribers as at August 4 when Foxtel’s biggest shareholder, News Corp, provided an update on Kayo’s recent performance, alongside its 2020 financial results.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back