Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Pre-season games do not equal internationally recognised matches.
Because you say so? CA certainly disagrees, going by their actions.

Let's see, AFL pre-season matches and limited overs bi-laterals/tri-series: popularity peaked in the '90s, no FTA network willing to pay good money for them, teams rarely at full-strength, increasingly scheduled at regional venues and in less desirable slots on the calendar.

Awful lot in common there. Happy to hear an argument as to why I'm wrong (as opposed to the compelling "yeah nah" responses of the last few posts).

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Because you say so? CA certainly disagrees, going by their actions.

Let's see, AFL pre-season matches and limited overs bi-laterals/tri-series: popularity peaked in the '90s, no FTA network willing to pay good money for them, teams rarely at full-strength, increasingly scheduled at regional venues and in less desirable slots on the calendar.

Awful lot in common there. Happy to hear an argument as to why I'm wrong (as opposed to the compelling "yeah nah" responses of the last few posts).
Regardless of any similarities in circumstances, one is a warm-up match, the other is an internationally recognised match that carries competition 'points'.

" Relations between Seven West Media and Cricket Australia have soured to the point where eight independent candidates nominated to settle an argument about the value of the sport code's summer rights have been rejected by each side on the grounds they are not qualified or have conflicts of interest. "

Regardless of any similarities in circumstances, one is a warm-up match, the other is an internationally recognised match that carries competition 'points'.
Thanks, now we're all clear on what the I in ODI stands for. Regardless of any competition 'points', these bi-lateral white ball series are just treated as preparation for the next world cup (which will always get FTA coverage, no matter how hard you try to pretend otherwise).

further restricting the audience of the game that's 'dying' is bound to do good things of restoring it, this piece is from just after the first series that was Fox only (the 3 ODI's v SA had roughly 25% of the audience a bilateral series against SA had just 4 years before that). hell 9's last ODI series which was the one-sided odi's v England in 17/18, still drew about 850-900k on average

Wow, free-to-air pulls higher ratings than subscription tv, what a revelation...

further restricting the audience of the game that's 'dying'
Who said anything about the game dying? I know I'm talking about it flourishing because of the current broadcast deal.

Nobody here can think of a good reason why cricket should put all of its content on FTA when no other sport does. Maybe footy followers in WA aren't aware of that fact, I don't know.

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Wow, free-to-air pulls higher ratings than subscription tv, what a revelation...

Who said anything about the game dying? I know I'm talking about it flourishing because of the current broadcast deal.

Nobody here can think of a good reason why cricket should put all of its content on FTA when no other sport does. Maybe footy followers in WA aren't aware of that fact, I don't know.

No one should have to pay to watch there national cricket team play on tv on home soil.

It’s an absolute disgrace

I was referring to people saying ODIs are dying, which is a pretty common opinion that people hold. wouldn’t exactly say those or the t20Is are exactly flourishing in recent years

No one should have to pay to watch there national cricket team play on tv on home soil.

It’s an absolute disgrace
Seems pretty entitled. I came to accept the reality of this situation 16-17 years ago, having to sit through an episode of Midsomer Murders instead of watching an epic Indian collapse at the MCG.

I was referring to people saying ODIs are dying, which is a pretty common opinion that people hold. wouldn’t exactly say those or the t20Is are exactly flourishing in recent years
Well a T20I earlier in the year pulled ratings of 825k on Gem (imagine how much more it could've been if good old loyal Nine had the sense to air it on their primary channel) while diversifying the audience. Men's white ball internationals don't play the same role in the summer as they used to, but they don't have to. The current structure allows cricket to make broader gains in the long run.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Thanks, now we're all clear on what the I in ODI stands for. Regardless of any competition 'points', these bi-lateral white ball series are just treated as preparation for the next world cup (which will always get FTA coverage, no matter how hard you try to pretend otherwise).
You don’t have to value it personally, but you still can’t unilaterally decide it has the same importance as a warm-up match, particularly when cricket often has warm-up matches, just to stress the difference.

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
Channel 7 upset with day-night clash

The prospect of Virat Kohli’s India playing an Australia A side in a day-night warm up game at the SCG next month has delighted fans and one broadcaster but given another more cause for complaint in the middle of a bitter court dispute.
The match which will potentially feature the biggest name in the game clashes directly with the first week of the Big Bash League.

Cricket Australia plans to start the BBL on December 10 and the three-day game against India begins December 11.

Fox and Seven share the rights to the BBL, but Fox also plans to broadcast the tour match on an alternative channel as well as the domestic T20 tournament.

Australia is unlikely to play any of its big names in the tour game even though it would be the only opportunity for Steve Smith, David Warner, Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood to play anything other than limited-overs cricket in preparation for the first Test.

The quartet has been in India for the Indian Premier League and will come straight out of quarantine and into the limited-overs series. The four will take the opportunity to spend some time at home for the first time since August.

Kohli and most of the Indians are in the same camp and may skip the warm up, but the chance of the star Indian batsman playing has upset Seven which is in mediation with Cricket Australia over the broadcast deal and argues the BBL as a product is in decline and facing further set backs this summer.

Seven argues the match is a distraction at the start of the BBL which has a week of clear air before a brief hiatus for the first Test.

Seven can piss right off

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
It will attract 3 men and a dog - none of whom probably have an interest in the BBL anyway.
If India select some of their first XI I watch the tour match over BBL.
In any event if someone has Foxtel and has opted to watch the tour match, they would have watched the BBL on Fox not Seven.

Well, apparently next year Seven plan to fill their schedule with cheap-as-s**t reality shows, so they clearly aren't interested in quality and building a long-term audience, which means the cricket is worthless to them and they just want either to be shot of it or to pay bugger all for it. They're just going to be a massive whiny pain in the arse until CA give in.

Critical detail of that warm-up match is that it's being played in Sydney, so it's likely to be washed out anyway. Nevertheless, I wouldn't be surprised if the start of the BBL is rescheduled to something like 22 Dec, for different reasons altogether.

I really wish these articles would stop perpetuating the "Seven, which is unhappy with the quality of this summer's schedule..." myth. They should just say "Seven, which is intent on cutting $50m more in costs for the 2020-21 financial year..." and stop pretending it's more complicated than that.

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

Former Australian Test cricket captain Ian Chappell will be back on the airwaves this season in an unexpected station switch which salutes a rich family heritage.
Chappell will join the ABC as a guest commentator where he will work with Jim Maxwell who will spearhead the coverage for the 44th year.

Chappell, an iconic voice for the Nine network throughout their four decade association with the game, joined Macquarie Radio’s coverage after Fox Sports and Channel 7 won the television rights.

But Macquarie have decided to end their cricket coverage, allowing Chappell to join the ABC.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Good to see that Chappelli will still be heard on commentary. If we don't get five Les Favell stories a season is it really summer?
Or intermittently crapping on about how he doesn't agree with a touring sides captains field placings for a good 3 hours.

Former Australian Test cricket captain Ian Chappell will be back on the airwaves this season in an unexpected station switch which salutes a rich family heritage.
Chappell will join the ABC as a guest commentator where he will work with Jim Maxwell who will spearhead the coverage for the 44th year.

Chappell, an iconic voice for the Nine network throughout their four decade association with the game, joined Macquarie Radio’s coverage after Fox Sports and Channel 7 won the television rights.

But Macquarie have decided to end their cricket coverage, allowing Chappell to join the ABC.
His grandad was with ABC for years, it's a nice synergy.

Back