Australian Cricket Thread - No.3 🏏

Remove this Banner Ad

never before experienced 3 separate am radio networks carrying the test cricket - odd but great for diversity of choice........
Probably because the TV commentators - both on Foxtel and FTA - are absolutely terrible.

If I wanted to see what the inside of the commentary box looked like, I'd ask for footage of that, please. Otherwise, keep the camera on the cricket, not the commentators.

that english woman (allison mitchell?) is superb - I imagine the radio rights may have been comparatively cheapish this year - sri lanka, pakistan, nz, not sure
As is Isa Guha....imo, the best commentator going around right now, alongside Jim Maxwell who is just a doyen of the game.

Her commentary on MMM a few years back alongside Mark Howard and Jim Brayshaw was absolute gold.

staple my face to a table or continue listening to michael slater commentate..........the tough decisions of a closet masochist.....................
Hate Murdoch, but I made my deal with the devil and got Kayo so I could watch the games (cricket and footy) live and, should I be working during the games, I could wait and see them later.

Now, how to deal with Warne's hoolios and WTF else he wants to talk about instead of the cricket, and/or the fact that they keep going to the commentary box to have a look at the people who should be talking less anyway...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And people are too impressed by the ability to turn the ball. Yasir Shah is a big turner of the ball, sure, but sheer turn has never worked in Australia and it never will. You need to bowl with overspin rather than sidespin here to be successful, and it's why we tend to feast on opposition spinners regardless of how good they are elsewhere.

Shah will take wickets, but it'll be surprising if, on any given tour of Australia, he averages better than 40. He bowls side spin, and unless he's willing to change he's not going to improve here. It's also why Lyon's been struggling of late; he went from a pure overspin bowler to modifying his method to take wickets on the subcontinent, with outrageous results, and now he has to change back, which isn't an easy thing to do.

Marnus is pretty close to the most comfortable I've been with a player in world cricket in forever.

On one hand, Huss is a vastly superior cricketer to me, and is thoroughly entitled to his opinion.

On the other, if Warner has scored the majority of his runs square of the wicket on the off side, and his leave percentage is significantly higher than it normally is, what that tells you is not that they've bowled too short to him, but that they've bowled too wide.

He's not been forced to play enough, and he's not been forced to defend on the stumps nearly enough.

If you get no other cricket today, make sure you see Denly's drop off Archer... makes you feel good to be alive!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back