Australian Football Hall of Fame - 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Never saw either of them personally but posting this on behalf of my grandfather: anyone think Bernie Quinlan or Michael Tuck will ever be elevated to Legend status? Bit strange that they were both absolutely brilliant players yet others who have come after them are in the conversation?

No, not for mine. Bernie a better footballer than Tuck. Tuck very good and very durable. Also played in more flags than anybody else.

Also, a bit odd including Wallace's coaching stats on his certificate if he's being inducted as a player. God knows he doesn't deserve it as a coach.*

*I suspect his media profile also had a hand in his induction.

Neitz started his career as a KPD earning All Australian honors in that role. It was only after the retirement of Garry Lyon that he permanently moved forward and went on to finish his career with 600 goals. It's actually pretty remarkable that he was able to kick that many when he spent such a large part of his career as a defender.
And again, nothing against him

However there are blokes who were SANFL/WAFL superstars who had careers and resumes and impact bigger then Neitz. Who wont get in because they played in the SANFL/WAFL, and considering its the Football hall of fame it's a crock

Nice spread of premierships for Mel Whinnen. Prompts the question... would you prefer a cluster like the Hawks or a spread? A cluster might elevate the team's status but I somehow think winning four across 16 seasons would be more satisfying on a personal note (ie good enough at all stages of your career)

Nice spread of premierships for Mel Whinnen. Prompts the question... would you prefer a cluster like the Hawks or a spread? A cluster might elevate the team's status but I somehow think winning four across 16 seasons would be more satisfying on a personal note (ie good enough at all stages of your career)

You mean like Tuck?

You mean like Tuck?
Well yes, like Tuck... or Bartlett and Bourke.

What sucks for Tuck is that in some years he has two premiership re-unions (76 & 86, 78 & 88) while in other years he has none. It'd be nice to have them spread across the decade. I'm sure he doesn't mind though.

Out of interest... is he still a builder?

Who does poor old Garry Macintosh have to do to get a look in? Also if "good honest footballer David Neitz" can get in there, I can think of about 50 SANFL players who should be in there. I'm sure our WA people have similar stories.

Why not just name it the VFL hall of fame and be done with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know the story of Terry Wallace's father having to search for a new junior club for Terry when he was a kid?

I remember hearing it on SEN last year and thinking what a great story, but can't remember the details. If someone could share that would be much appreciated.

Not sure about Neitz.

Tony Modra kicked 40 less goals in half the games. He's still not in.

Alastair Lynch is ahead of him in all time goal kicking, 3 x flags, also started career as a defender at Fitzroy.

Mick Malthouse also isn't even in yet, 3 x premiership coach, 1 x premiership player, VFL/AFL games record coached. Sheedy was inducted as a legend from the coaching section of the HOF, he only has 1 more flag than Malthouse and less games coached. He's a legend, Mick isn't even in the HOF yet.

He's the elephant in the room at the moment.

Kevin Sheedy being elevated to Legend in front of Jack Oatey and Fos Williams is just another example of the Vic bias.

The Legend category is also dubious when 60% of them were active in 1969. Reflects too much on personal knowledge of the selectors rather than proper research.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Happy to see Scarlett make it. Great player!

Like Lloyd said, just hated to lose. I played against both Scarlett and Ling in junior footy. Ling had a smile and back-chatted a bit. Seemed to enjoy it a lot. Scarlett though, was just pissed off if he lost a contest even back then. Would just give you nothing.

Kevin Sheedy being elevated to Legend in front of Jack Oatey and Fos Williams is just another example of the Vic bias.

The Legend category is also dubious when 60% of them were active in 1969. Reflects too much on personal knowledge of the selectors rather than proper research.

haha

name one person that has done more for expanding the game than sheedy has.

The reason he was elevated ahead of Jack oatey and Fos williams is because he deserved to be.

vic bias?

The man has arguably done more for AFL than most. No denying Jack Oatey & Fos Williams have a place in the hall. All things will come in time. People need to stop being so salty and appreciate those who are inducted for what they've done.

Well I'll say it if nobody else is going to...

Massive congrats to the long overdue induction of Bernie Naylor to the Australian Football Hall of Fame (his induction was in between Neitz & Plough in case you missed that part of the telecast)!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-29/2018-hall-of-fame-inductee-bernie-naylor [edit: John Coleman was the Bernie Naylor of the VFL]
Stumped me Bernie Naylor wasnt in it already in it. This "he was as good as this victorian player" is bullshit as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back