Resource Australian Football History Resource Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I submitted a request/dispute via this form.

I received a reply. Seems like later this month it could be fixed.

---

Hi Rhett,

Thanks for your feedback about the Football Record.

The Record is part of our new Collection Discovery portal. Collection Discovery launched on 8 December 2021, replacing the previous image viewer. This symbolised an important step in our digital strategy. The previous Digitool system was end-of-life and did not support digital preservation; the new Rosetta system supports intuitive, powerful and playful digital interfaces underpinned by robust technology, metadata and staff capabilities. Read more about the rationale for this project: https://blogs.slv.vic.gov.au/our-stories/accessible-intuitive-powerful-digital/

Please note this is a Beta launch and we're actively engaged with the vendor to improve the performance. We welcome any and all feedback, and we’re aware of a number of issues that may be causing frustration, notably, that searching across the collection is currently not available. See https://slv-vic.libanswers.com/systems/5250 for details.

Mid-January will see some upgrades to functionality including the ability to search across titles. In the meantime you can search for item titles via the catalogue instead. e.g. football record 1912. You can also download items as PDFs, which are then keyword-searchable, although these are quite large files and may be cumbersome.

Thank you again for your feedback, and hopefully many of your concerns will be addressed in updates by the end of the months.

Any further questions, you can contact me by reopening this enquiry using the link below.

An old snapshot from the AFL website that had every (or most) tribunal appearance, the reason given, whether they were found guilty or not, and the length of suspension and/or fine if applicable. It looks like they stopped updating it after the sixth round of 2010 and then took it down a few years later. Good resource if you want to look up a player or you want to find hilarious reasons players got put into the notebook, for instance, Brendan Bower rubbing mud in someone's face.

Last edited:

Attachments

• happy-yes.gif
    happy-yes.gif
    2.5 MB · Views: 20

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all.
I would like to know if anyone could lead me to a resource that has VFL radio broadcasts from the 1940's and before. Would love to hear how the game was commentated back then. The earliest actual commentary (not newsreel voiceovers) i've heard is the 1958 grand final by the great Tony Charlton. I'm a stickler for actual recordings of old Aussie vernacular being spoken at the time.
Cheers

The SLV has announced they will begin digitising the Melbourne's Sun News Pictorial from 1922 -1954 and are looking to fundraise the $200,000 for it.

I'm going to assume that paper will be quite important from a football point of view

Any ideas why 1954 remains the cutoff date for papers on Trove? I know it's a copyright-related thing, but surely the 'final' date should stretch out over time? I'm pretty sure it was 1954 way back in 2009 when Trove launched.

75 years is what I have heard the copyright period is.

For some reason Trove is up to 1954 but I have heard that 1955 cannot go up until the year 2030 unless the copyright holder gives permission. The Canberra Times and Beverley Times in WA are examples where the paper has been digitised beyond that - BT is up to 1977 and CT further advanced than that.

From 2030 onwards, you might see one year added at a time, e.g. 1955 in 2030, 1956 in 2031, etc. (unless the copyright holder gets a wad of cash to free up some of their editions) but it also comes down to whether the digitisation can be funded.

75 years is what I have heard the copyright period is.

For some reason Trove is up to 1954 but I have heard that 1955 cannot go up until the year 2030 unless the copyright holder gives permission. The Canberra Times and Beverley Times in WA are examples where the paper has been digitised beyond that - BT is up to 1977 and CT further advanced than that.

From 2030 onwards, you might see one year added at a time, e.g. 1955 in 2030, 1956 in 2031, etc. (unless the copyright holder gets a wad of cash to free up some of their editions) but it also comes down to whether the digitisation can be funded.

Actually, it is 70 years so the 1955 newspapers can start to be added to Trove from 1 January 2026.

The SLV has announced they will begin digitising the Melbourne's Sun News Pictorial from 1922 -1954 and are looking to fundraise the $200,000 for it.

I'm going to assume that paper will be quite important from a football point of view

This has been achieved, so that's wonderful news!:
1688707525800.png
1688707561304.png
I wasn't one of the generous donors, FWIW, that is from an email someone just sent to me!

Hi all.
I would like to know if anyone could lead me to a resource that has VFL radio broadcasts from the 1940's and before. Would love to hear how the game was commentated back then. The earliest actual commentary (not newsreel voiceovers) i've heard is the 1958 grand final by the great Tony Charlton. I'm a stickler for actual recordings of old Aussie vernacular being spoken at the time.
Cheers
Maybe the ABC has recordings in its archives, but you would think we would have already have heard of them.
ABC's 3AR with former Carlton champ Rod McGregor was one of the first to do a radio broadcast in the early 1920s.
3AW were early broadcasters too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back