Resource Australian Football History Resource Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Further good news from Trove newspapers site.

Items from the Geelong Advertiser are starting to be loaded for the mid to late 1920s.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?l-title=558&q&l-decade=192

From memory, there a year or two ago the GA stopped being loaded when the issues online reached 1924.
Puzzled at the time why that date because the paper should be clear to see right up to end of the usual
Trove cut-off date of 1954.

Glad to see the 30 year gap starting to be filled.

I've seen it come up in searches a handful of times recently so was very pleased to know that it is coming. It will be an absolute boon to many of the regulars around here. What I don't understand is that it's not listed on this page:- http://www.nla.gov.au/content/new-titles-coming

I reckon it was removed from that list a couple of years ago when they loaded the special Scout Jamboree issue of 1949.
Unfortunately it has taken until this week to start putting more daily issues on,
but technically what was released years ago meant it was no longer "coming," it had arrived, albeit in a very small portion !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon it was removed from that list a couple of years ago when they loaded the special Scout Jamboree issue of 1949.
Unfortunately it has taken until this week to start putting more daily issues on,
but technically what was released years ago meant it was no longer "coming," it had arrived, albeit in a very small portion !
Good explanation!

The Herald continues to grow on TROVE. Almost up to 1 million articles now, and a healthy percentage having some football connection.
Have just noticed that some issues from 1920 and 1921 are being prepared.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?l-state=Victoria&l-title=1190&q&l-decade=192

Some of the content should be fully loaded and released for full access by late January I reckon.

2018 is going to be one fine year methinks !!

I hope Russell & Jim have been reading our inconsistencies & dod missing threads!
Me too! There's been a lot of 'discoveries' made since the 10th edition came out!

(Among other things) I hope they've become aware that Robert McKenna, who they have playing his one and only career game for Collingwood in 1900, was in fact Bill Proudfoot. Newspapers said e.g. "McKenna, who is said to be every bit as good a man as Proudfoot" and "Proudfoot will never be missed as long as "McKenna" takes his place, their being a great similarity in their play"!!

I do feel rather guilty that I've never let them know about any of the errors I've spotted in the book, and I don't know if any of the other regulars around here have been doing it either, but I hope (and imagine) that they would have received plenty of updates from the AFL Stats people in recent times.

I look forward to the next edition of the book coming out, it will be good to see what they've come up with.

Last edited:
The Herald continues to grow on TROVE. Almost up to 1 million articles now, and a healthy percentage having some football connection.
Have just noticed that some issues from 1920 and 1921 are being prepared.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?l-state=Victoria&l-title=1190&q&l-decade=192

Some of the content should be fully loaded and released for full access by late January I reckon.

2018 is going to be one fine year methinks !!

Looks like articles from the early 1930s have been added to preparatory list in the last day or so.
Now gives us over 1.5 million items in that "coming soon" mode !

I've just had a response from Col Hutchinson having passed on a couple of bits of information and he has mentioned this: "On another subject, I have been processing the goals and behinds scored by individual players match-by-match in the period spanning 1931-1964.
The following sources of data are being used:
The Age, Sporting Globe, Geelong Advertiser, The Record (Emerald Hill) and some hand-written records relating to Carlton matches.
Some club annual reports also contain such data.
Obviously, there are some gaps where such information was not published, but significant useful data is being accumulated.
The South Melbourne information is quite comprehensive.
Such match information for almost every Swans' season from 1931 onwards is available.
The exceptions are 1946-47-48.
It is likely that the local Footscray and Essendon newspapers published similar data during some of the relevant seasons."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back