Resource Australian Football History Resource Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Glenelg Wiki that I just discovered by accident - http://wiki.snoutslouts.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
Dennis Keith ("Fred") Phillis holds the Glenelg all-time goal kicking record. Phillis is the brother of Wayne "Butch" Phillis.

Phillis was nicknamed "Fred" when his schoolmates likened him to the most famous Test cricket paceman of the day, 'Fiery Fred' Truman of Yorkshire and England. The nickname stuck and to many SANFL fans he is only known as "Fred" Phillis rather than by his birth name.
I like the irony in the name of "Fred" Phillis, being named after a famous English fast bowler of the time. A few years later Dennis Keith Lillee came along!

Hello,
Just to advise that I've submitted a request to Trove, to finance the digitisation of earlier years of the Richmond Guardian , and Richmond Australian newspapers, as well as issues of the Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News (Melbourne), which ran from 1904 -1911. (The latter I have viewed in person and has incredible sporting photos that need to see the light of the day).

At the moment I have requested Richmond Guardian 1915 and 1916 all issues, Richmond Australian 1912 and 1913 all issues.

I'll keep you posted with how things go, but the latest is that I'm now awaiting permission from the SLV to grant permission to loan the microfilms of those Richmond papers over to Trove.

In regard to the compilation of player career details a general summary of records the AFL staff have used over the years has been provided by Col Hutchinson.

"Here is a list of many of the sources of information used in the compilation of data relating to player’s dates of birth, heights, weights, original club/s, round-by round match selection/goal/s scored, career matches & goals, etc.

The process of electronically recording such data was begun in 1992. There has been constant refinement and amendment to the compiled data as additional sources of information have come to light and inaccuracies are detected.

A set of data compiled by ABC radio man and former player, Percy Taylor relating to the period 1934 – 1974

Carlton records compiled by Harry Bell during his tenure as club secretary.

Selected late edition Herald newspaper scans obtained with the permission of the Herald & Weekly Times management. The ones not featured on Trove or microfilm were selected from available bound copies.

Clearance registers held by the AFL.

Relevant club annual reports.

Player data, including individual behinds tallies, as published in the Age, Argus, Sun, Geelong Advertiser, Sporting Globe and other relevant newspapers.

Player data, including individual behinds tallies, as published in the Record (Emerald Hill) during most years in the 1930s, ‘40s & ‘50s.

APB Sports player match stats as published in Footy Week & Victorian newspapers from 1965.

Typed alphabetical lists of players and associated data compiled by Norm Sowden, and held by the AFL.

Direct access to Champion Data statistics (1999 to current).

Alf Brown’s scrapbook collection, which was donated to the AFL, covering the period 1933 – 1979.

Club historians have contributed significantly, as have former players and the families of such identities.

For more than a quarter of a century, Stephen Rodgers has spent thousands of unpaid research hours at the Victorian State Library and other information sources compiling player information for the huge project.

R.H. Campbell hand-written round by round records #.

Typed records of selected teams round by round (1897 – 1980s) held by the AFL #

# Errors, probably due partly to transcription glitches in Campbell’s hand written versions, have been discovered progressively.

Unfortunately, match day official team sheets were not stored permanently at AFL HQ prior to 1992.

From that period, such data was progressively recorded electronically.

I hope that this summary is helpful.

Regards

Col"

In regard to the compilation of player career details a general summary of records the AFL staff have used over the years has been provided by Col Hutchinson.

"Here is a list of many of the sources of information used in the compilation of data relating to player’s dates of birth, heights, weights, original club/s, round-by round match selection/goal/s scored, career matches & goals, etc.

The process of electronically recording such data was begun in 1992. There has been constant refinement and amendment to the compiled data as additional sources of information have come to light and inaccuracies are detected.

A set of data compiled by ABC radio man and former player, Percy Taylor relating to the period 1934 – 1974

Carlton records compiled by Harry Bell during his tenure as club secretary.

Selected late edition Herald newspaper scans obtained with the permission of the Herald & Weekly Times management. The ones not featured on Trove or microfilm were selected from available bound copies.

Clearance registers held by the AFL.

Relevant club annual reports.

Player data, including individual behinds tallies, as published in the Age, Argus, Sun, Geelong Advertiser, Sporting Globe and other relevant newspapers.

Player data, including individual behinds tallies, as published in the Record (Emerald Hill) during most years in the 1930s, ‘40s & ‘50s.

APB Sports player match stats as published in Footy Week & Victorian newspapers from 1965.

Typed alphabetical lists of players and associated data compiled by Norm Sowden, and held by the AFL.

Direct access to Champion Data statistics (1999 to current).

Alf Brown’s scrapbook collection, which was donated to the AFL, covering the period 1933 – 1979.

Club historians have contributed significantly, as have former players and the families of such identities.

For more than a quarter of a century, Stephen Rodgers has spent thousands of unpaid research hours at the Victorian State Library and other information sources compiling player information for the huge project.

R.H. Campbell hand-written round by round records #.

Typed records of selected teams round by round (1897 – 1980s) held by the AFL #

# Errors, probably due partly to transcription glitches in Campbell’s hand written versions, have been discovered progressively.

Unfortunately, match day official team sheets were not stored permanently at AFL HQ prior to 1992.

From that period, such data was progressively recorded electronically.

I hope that this summary is helpful.

Regards

Col"
Of the above , which Eras need looking over again? I assume the 1897-1920 period should dominate any repairs and review.

...the Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News (Melbourne), which ran from 1904 -1911. (The latter I have viewed in person and has incredible sporting photos that need to see the light of the day).

Approx. how many issues of the Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News have you perused?

Can you provide an approx. estimate of the total no. of AF photos you saw there? And an approx. % of how many of these AF photos you had never seen before?
And an approx. no of AF photos you believe have, probably, never been published in any publication before?

Have all copies ever published of the ISDN been saved? If not, approx. what % were saved?

Last edited:
Hello,
Just to advise that I've submitted a request to Trove, to finance the digitisation of earlier years of the Richmond Guardian , and Richmond Australian newspapers, as well as issues of the Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News (Melbourne), which ran from 1904 -1911. (The latter I have viewed in person and has incredible sporting photos that need to see the light of the day).

At the moment I have requested Richmond Guardian 1915 and 1916 all issues, Richmond Australian 1912 and 1913 all issues.

I'll keep you posted with how things go, but the latest is that I'm now awaiting permission from the SLV to grant permission to loan the microfilms of those Richmond papers over to Trove.

Update for you.

SLV has confirmed they have 1912 and 1913 Richmond Australian newspapers on microfilm - and I've now asked Trove to provide me with a quote for digitising those.

SLV do not hold the microfilm masters for the Rich Guardian of 1915 or 1916. They only hold service copies, (they are checking whether service copies are allowed to be digitised).
They hold 1878-1903 , 1907-1909, 1917-1936.
I've asked them to provide me with an estimation for the 1907, 1908 and 1909 issues.

The Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News is only available in hard copy from the warehouse. That is more expensive and the next available time to digitise hard copies is not until 2020. So I'll put that one on the backburner.

Rhett

Update for you.

SLV has confirmed they have 1912 and 1913 Richmond Australian newspapers on microfilm - and I've now asked Trove to provide me with a quote for digitising those.

SLV do not hold the microfilm masters for the Rich Guardian of 1915 or 1916. They only hold service copies, (they are checking whether service copies are allowed to be digitised).
I've asked them to provide me with an estimation for the 1907, 1908 and 1909 issues.

The Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News is only available in hard copy from the warehouse. That is more expensive and the next available time to digitise hard copies is not until 2020. So I'll put that one on the backburner.

Rhett

Update for you.

Rhett

Rhett,
Not long after Trove began I inquired about having The Carlton Gazette put on, but the cost was prohibitive, can't recall the exact figure now. Even though the Gazette is on microfilm, it was still very expensive per page.
Perhaps the costs has come down now?
I haven't had a look at the Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic Newspaper, if it contains lots of football images that would be a great addition. It would be interesting to see what Trove's costs are, perhaps a combined fundraising effort may be needed?
Pete.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought it may interest you to know I got a quote back regarding digitising some years of Richmond papers.
For 1907, 1908, and 1909 Richmond Guardians - it is approximately $1,400 for each of those years.

EDIT: I think they've quoted me wrong, as the 1907-1909 Guardian was only weekly and 4 pages. I'm waiting for confirmation on this, which if so, would bring do the cost quite a bit for me on each of those years

For 1912 and 1913 Richmond Australian - it is approximately $500 for each of those years.

I'm going to proceed with the Rich Aust issues myself, and for the Rich Guardian, I might see if crowd-funding is a way to go. If anyone wants to chip in with me go for it.

Last edited:
The approx. 1000 page book (with 500+ images) on the complete history 1866-2016 of AF in Qld. (little devoted, deliberately, to Lions & Suns) will be available in about 1 month.
The official book launch will be in Brisbane, Dec.11, 2018 most likely.
Titled "More Of The Kangaroo-150 Years Of Australian Football in Queensland 1866-2016", it is eagerly anticipated.

Great work by many at the Queensland Footy Forensics AF history group.
http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/more...-1866-to-2016-by-murray-bird-and-greg-parker/

Last edited:
EDIT: I think they've quoted me wrong, as the 1907-1909 Guardian was only weekly and 4 pages. I'm waiting for confirmation on this, which if so, would bring do the cost quite a bit for me on each of those years

As expected, I was quoted wrong for Rich Guardian prices.

So I've completed the last step and Trove will now begin the slow process of digitising Richmond Australian 1912-1913, Richmond Guardian 1907-1909, and Richmond Guardian 1915-1916 .

I will then reassess after that how the process is going/to identify future issues.

Richmond FC historical committee have agreed that Walter Johnston is a new player for the club. (1908, 1 game, 0 goals)
(I am writing a very brief article to put on our website).

AFLTables has already included him. https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/W/Walter_Johnston.html

So someone will need to create a Walter Johnston wiki page, and alter the exisiting Alex Johnston wiki page to reflect only 1 game with Richmond not 2.

----
WHL and I met with the AFL stats guys today and have agreed on a process moving forward of updating and alerting people to changes , so I'll let WHL explain that in the coming weeks

So someone will need to create a Walter Johnston wiki page, and alter the exisiting Alex Johnston wiki page to reflect only 1 game with Richmond not 2.
Done.
I found his death notice which mentions his children, if you wanted to try to track some down (or their children more probably). Buried at Box Hill Cemetery. His wife died in 1972, buried in the same plot CE-226-0023.

Done.
I found his death notice which mentions his children, if you wanted to try to track some down (or their children more probably). Buried at Box Hill Cemetery. His wife died in 1972, buried in the same plot CE-226-0023.

Thank you ThePope. (I think from memory WhiteHartLane23 reached out to the great grandson through Ancestry, who didn't really know much about his relative.)

Ive also created a TigerlandArchive page for him if you need to link out to it from wiki
https://tigerlandarchive.org/tiki-index.php?page=Walter+Johnston

Remove this Banner Ad

Back