Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
This book is now available:
1554473646224.png

https://books.slatterymedia.com/store/viewItem/grand-finals--volume-iii-1979-2018
https://www.booktopia.com.au/grand-...i-slattery-media-group/prod9781921778865.html (this should say 1979-2018, and they must have the wrong cover picture as well)

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Update: I'm financing also the 1915 and 1916 Richmond Guardians.
Trove has just added the impending Richmond Guardian digitisations to the 'Newspaper titles coming' page
https://www.nla.gov.au/content/new-titles-coming

UPDATE: 7 months on, and the Richmond Guardian and Richmond Australian years that I've paid for are about complete. You will see on Trove that the pages are being loaded up but are not active yet
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/...actPhrase&dateTo&dateFrom&sortby=dateAsc&s=80

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2000
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Seems the AFLs continued research on the origins of the game is producing some results:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06...history-of-aussie-rules-is-in-debate/11202802

The AFL has adopted a new position on the origins of Australian football, now claiming it was influenced by Indigenous games.

Key points:
  • The AFL has recognised Indigenous game Marngrook as an "undoubted influence" on Australian Rules football
  • Historians of the game have disputed the AFL's latest stance, suggesting there is no evidence to prove the link
  • The AFL says the sharing of oral history by Aboriginal elders confirms the Indigenous connection to Australian Rules

The change was spelt out in the AFL's recent apology to Indigenous footballer Adam Goodes.

The statement, attributed to the AFL's general manager of social policy and inclusion Tanya Hosch, said: "Aboriginal history tells us that traditional forms of football were played by Australia's first peoples all over Australia, most notably in the form of Marngrook. It is Australia's only Indigenous football game — a game born from the ancient traditions of our country."

The ABC asked Ms Hosch for an interview to clarify whether the AFL believed there was an explicit link between the Indigenous football games, and the sport codified by Tom Wills and others in Melbourne in 1859.
She declined the interview request, but in a statement said: "Marngrook, a high-marking game played in Victoria's western districts, pre-European settlement, undoubtedly influenced what we now understand as the modern AFL football code."

Trust this is the correct thread for this post, if not pls move to a more relevant spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I've created a gofundme page to raise funds to digitise the Richmond Guardian 1919 and 1920 newspapers
I'm using this as a test to see the general interest in Richmond/Footy supporters in donating money to help uncover history.
If successful, I'll move onto some other years - if not successful, I'll just go back to funding it myself.

I'll keep you posted.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I've created a gofundme page to raise funds to digitise the Richmond Guardian 1919 and 1920 newspapers
I'm using this as a test to see the general interest in Richmond/Footy supporters in donating money to help uncover history.
If successful, I'll move onto some other years - if not successful, I'll just go back to funding it myself.

I'll keep you posted.

Should be enough Tiger fans out there who would love to know more about their team, good luck RB.

Spent time looking at the history of my true love in footy Subi & its place in WA footy going back to the 1800s, not everyones cup to tea (no pun intended*), but I can recommend it.

*:'(

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
FYI
Richmond Guardian 1910-1912, and 1919-1920 issues are now digitised and online at Trove.
It might reveal some very interesting research.

Rhett

great news Rhett. What are you hoping to unearth in particular? Some more premiership-era stories? unknown war vets?

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Trove rang me (or rather the head of Trove) to basically say that the digitisation process of smaller requests (like mine) will be put on hold, while the small team work on a newer version of Trove to be released in March 2020. So there won't be anything new uploaded til at least mid-2020 at least.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
Trove rang me (or rather the head of Trove) to basically say that the digitisation process of smaller requests (like mine) will be put on hold, while the small team work on a newer version of Trove to be released in March 2020. So there won't be anything new uploaded til at least mid-2020 at least.

That's exciting! Disappointing, but exciting

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
So to clarify they told me this below. Looks like the actual physical Trove will stay the same, how digitisation requests are processed looks to be changing. I'm not entirely sure how that affects someone like myself who is a single donor, not a business. They said they will come back to me after March next year.

The National Library of Australia is currently transitioning to a new business model to better position Trove for a sustainable future. This new model includes changes to how we offer our digitisation services.
To ensure a smooth transition to this new model, we are currently piloting our approach by working with several cultural heritage organisations on selected digitisation projects. This approach is helping us identify any issues or problems that might arise, for example, any changes in timeframes to complete each project as well as how best to acknowledge collaborative digitisation projects on Trove. The National Library wants to offer you the best service available for digitisation and this staged approach will allow us to clarify our processes under the new model before we commence digitisation projects with donors seeking to contribute to Trove.

rbartlett

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Just an fyi. On March 10, 2020, I was appointed Richmond Football Club historian.
Article here: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/571104/bill-bows-out
A shout out to those on the history thread who have been so supportive over the years with their research, counter-research, opinions, observations, suggestions.

Back