Resource Australian Football History Resource Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey there
Does Game x Game stats exist for Under 19s throughout the 1970s
I see Footy Record has goalkickers and best players for each match, and from memory Sporting Globe has selected U19 teams each week in the 1960s.... but is there anywhere that lists the U19 teams for each match for 1970s-1979

Hey there
Does Game x Game stats exist for Under 19s throughout the 1970s
I see Footy Record has goalkickers and best players for each match, and from memory Sporting Globe has selected U19 teams each week in the 1960s.... but is there anywhere that lists the U19 teams for each match for 1970s-1979

The Age only lists senior and reserves team from my cursory glance at a 1979 edition. Perhaps Inside Football magazine if you could find the archives of that?

The Age only lists senior and reserves team from my cursory glance at a 1979 edition. Perhaps Inside Football magazine if you could find the archives of that?

No, they didn't.
The clubs would be your best option but their record keeping could vary from 'we have the records on an Excel spreadsheet' to 'we threw the paperwork out back in the 90s'.

Am I going bonkers? I'm trying to find League Reserves team, or sometimes called "Juniors" team in any of the 1926 papers.
All the years before would often print the reserves/juniors "squads", normally on the Friday, but I can't seem to see them in 1926 newspapers.
Am I missing something obvious?

Am I going bonkers? I'm trying to find League Reserves team, or sometimes called "Juniors" team in any of the 1926 papers.
All the years before would often print the reserves/juniors "squads", normally on the Friday, but I can't seem to see them in 1926 newspapers.
Am I missing something obvious?
I don't think you are! It seems the main papers didn't have them (Geelong Advertiser usually did, but only for Geelong games!). See the message I've just sent you for what we have regarding Collingwood's records for that year.

So for Reserves 1954 season, I have a few games listing goalkickers - but for the life of me I can't recall where I got that info from?!

Has anyone come across some game x game goalkickers for Reserves matches for 1954 season?

Rhett

Edit: I think its the Argus I got it from perhaps. But not every match that year assigned goalkickers

Last edited:
So for Reserves 1954 season, I have a few games listing goalkickers - but for the life of me I can't recall where I got that info from?!

Has anyone come across some game x game goalkickers for Reserves matches for 1954 season?

Rhett

Edit: I think its the Argus I got it from perhaps. But not every match that year assigned goalkickers
Rhett. Here is one for you I think:

Sometimes a case of trying to figure out what word/term the newspaper has used instead of Reserves...in this instance, it was League Seconds

It's almost 2022 and the 2019-21 Records aren't on Trove.

That's sh*t.

I suspect you meant that they aren't yet on State Library of Vic digitised collections pages where practically all the 1912 - 2018 collection can be seen.

It is indeed an extraordinary circumstance, but sadly, all too reflective of the double-standards that sometimes show up at AFL House.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect you meant that they aren't yet on State Library of Vic digitised collections pages where practically all the 1912 - 2018 collection can be seen.

It is indeed an extraordinary circumstance, but sadly, all too reflective of the double-standards that sometimes show up at AFL House.

Yep.

Big brain fart by me.

I wouldn't put the blame on anyone but CrocMedia.

Looks like WAAFL yearbooks from 1989-1999 got uploaded recently. I was sure that they only had these going back to 2000. Really hoping they keep digging up the rest.
I'm using these yearbooks to map out where each club played a team since one club could have enough players to have four or more senior sides going down the grades.

Looks like WAAFL yearbooks from 1989-1999 got uploaded recently. I was sure that they only had these going back to 2000. Really hoping they keep digging up the rest.
I'm using these yearbooks to map out where each club played a team since one club could have enough players to have four or more senior sides going down the grades.

Are you just after info on WAAFL club gradings or are there other things you are trying to find?

I can tell you that if you are seeking ladders or match results it is an impossible task. The story goes that a lot of Amateurs memorabilia was being stored in the old squash court at the Subiaco Sports club in the 3-Tier Stand at Subiaco Oval and over time a fair bit of stuff got water damaged. One of those items was a book with every result and ladder from the 1950s to somewhere in the 1970s which apparently was a messy pulp when discovered. The newspaper reporting of scores in that era was mediocre so unfortunately there is a statistical black hole that will never get filled.

Last edited:
Are you just after info on WAAFL club gradings or are there other things you are trying to find?

I can tell you that if you are seeking ladders or match results it is an impossible task. The story goes that a lot of Amateurs memorabilia was being stored in the old squash court at the Subiaco Sports club in the 3-Tier Stand at Subiaco Oval and over time a fair bit of stuff got water damaged. One of those items was a book with every result and ladder from the 1950s to somewhere in the 1970s which apparently was a messy pulp when discovered. The newspaper reporting of scores in that era was mediocre so unfortunately there is a statistical black hole that will never get filled.
Just club gradings. I started a new project solely to collect where each club played, but I did hear about WAAFL stuff before 1980 being lost. Luckily the Perth Football League site has a full record of where the firsts played and also mergers and name changes. As long as newspapers reported some scores, most if not all the seconds/thirds/fourths surely can be accounted for.

Also good to see that the site also hosts a fair few copies of the Westside Football magazine, which also contains additional content such as ladders from many leagues in WA, even as far as the Ravensthorpe association.

Also good to see that the site also hosts a fair few copies of the Westside Football magazine, which also contains additional content such as ladders from many leagues in WA, even as far as the Ravensthorpe association.
I've got a full set of Westside Footy scans if you ever need anything. Searchable too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back