Other Australian Gridiron Leagues

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Australian Nationals

I was part of the innaugral AGA National Championships in Canberra in the late 90's. Haven't been back since 2001. Seems that AGA have got thier act together as this is the 3rd National series.

a new club for Sydney

not sure how many visitors to this board play football, let alone live in Sydney however, a new club will be making their debut in 2005 in the NSWGFL - North West Sydney Predators. the NSWGFL has been a revolving door for clubs but, there has been some stability in recent years and the new addition takes the total teams to 8. hopefully, it has the effect of growing the game rather than killing an existng club. so if you live in sydney and want to play football take your pick, virtually the whole of Sydney (ex north) is covered now.

Bondi Raiders (east)
North West Sydney Predators (carlingford)
Sutherland Seahawks (south)
Sydney University Lions (inner city)
UTS Gridiron (inner west - Concord)
UWS Outlaws (west - penrith)
West Sydney Pirates (south-west - Liverpool)
Wollongong Mustangs

Re: a new club for Sydney

Just out of curiousity, how competative are these leagues? Could someone who has never played before just rock up and have a go?

just about every club has ex-college ex-pats who never went on (as we all know, most don't) but, are keen to continue playing. there are also players from oz who have never played the game. the league is competitive in that if you choose to play, then you have to be fair-dinkum about wanting to win. we play under NCAA rules so it is serious. the coaches put a lot into the comp and expect the players to return favour which we basically do.

the season in the NSWGFL runs from Sept to Dec, but pre-season training generally begins for most clubs around mid-June. the clubs initially separate (if not then they should) novices from the experienced player on a team so they get to learn the fundamentals of the game without feeling intimidated.

I used to play in the WA league a few years ago. I played cornerback for the Mt Lawley Bengals. It was lots of fun.

Re: australian leagues

music_2000 said:
are there plans for an australian gridieon league? or are there any already running?

There are actually 71 teams playing Gridiron in Australia. I've been playing with croydon (juniors) the last two season, not sure if i'll play the next one..

Every state has a comp, www.thebear.com.au and www.gridironaustralia.org.au are the two main sites to get all the info.

Note to people who want to see a game...

***** The Croydon Rangers will take on the Western Crusaders in one semi final and the Warriors will play the Blackhawks in the other semi final. Both matches will be played at Springfield Reserve (Mount Dandenong Road and Springfield Avenue, Croydon) on Sunday at 10:30am and 2:00pm. *****

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DonAce said:
I'd love to play some gridiron, but alas, i'm in Victoria. :p
There definately is a league running in Metro Vic. Been happening for over 20 years. I was involved for 7 seasons (as an official). No reason why you need to miss out if you really want to get involved.

For those interested, yesterday the Victorian U19's Riddell Bowl was played.

Croydon Rangers 26 Def Bay City Buccaneers 8

---------
Those interested in playing seniors, the new season (For Victoria) starts in February/March, go to he websites posted above for more information.

Re: Anyone plays?

I used to play cornerback. I think a few others about have played in the various amateur leagues around Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back