FTA-TV Australian Idol 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Kiani is the best of those 3 on potential
I'm torn because her performance slightly outclassed the other two but on what I've seen overall in all performances, I still rate her below Kym and Olivia.

I'm torn because her performance slightly outclassed the other two but on what I've seen overall in all performances, I still rate her below Kym and Olivia.

Should be based on tonight. Olivia isn’t anything special. Kym would be my second pick

The two no brainers get through. Hopefully they play Uno and Kyle throws down a reverse card and uses it to overturn his fast pass on Tyler so he can put both Olivia and Kym through.

The two no brainers get through. Hopefully they play Uno and Kyle throws down a reverse card and uses it to overturn his fast pass on Tyler so he can put both Olivia and Kym through.

Na I’d have put Tyler through too tonight

UPDATED POWER RANKINGS:

1. Ripley Alexander
Previous ranking: 1
Holding form, Ripley is the complete package. Consistent performances are the common trend here. He looks great on camera, has a great voice and will attract plenty of votes from the teeny boppers.

2. Imogen Spendlove
Previous ranking: 4
Going from strength to strength, this powerful, controlled and up-lifting voice will force packed stadiums to erupt. She has put in three of the four most dynamic, memorable performances this series.

3. Denvah Baker-Moller
Previous ranking: 2
Through no fault of her own, Denvah slips one position on these rankings. I don't agree with Carmen and the judges trying to change her. Why fix something that ain't broken? Her yodelling is cool, although it's not going to be for everyone. Why not continue to improve a strength? If she focuses too much on trying to improve her weaknesses, she could be in trouble of being eliminated if it doesn't pay off. She's already good enough to make a career out of what she does - if she strays away from that, it could be a devastating blow for her career.

4. Dylan Wright
Previous ranking: 3
Also through no fault of his own, Dylan slips one position. I actually reckon he'd be an awesome lead singer, but he well and truly has it within himself to make a career as a solo artist. What impressed me about his most recent performance is the way he transitioned from the guitar to primarily singing in his controlled voice. One thing I've noticed about his performances, when he is stationary playing his guitar, he moves his left foot up and down in rhythm to the tune. That shows he's in control.

_________

5. TJ (Eyes)
Previous ranking: 6
There has never been anyone like him. He is so unique, but his vocal range is inferior to almost everyone else in the top 12. As Kyle alluded to recently, there have been many solo artists who have made a very good career for themselves without having a great vocal range. His artistry, energy, stage presence and creativity gives him a real shot to win this. And those eyes. They crack me up every time. I'd pay good money to have those eyes.

6. Amy Reeves
Previous ranking: 7
I've been a fan of Amy since the beginning. Her Aretha performance while under the weather was impressive. Not only does she have a good voice, she uses the stage as well. The only small criticism I have is she needs to work on having more eye contact. Too often she sings with her eyes closed. I want to be able to believe what she's singing, and making eye contact with the audience is the best way to achieve that.

_________

7. Drea Onamade
Previous ranking: 12
She moves up five spots but you'll find the bottom six on these rankings all move up considerably as 21 have now become 12. Her voice is solid without being outstanding, but it's her stage presence that I enjoy. It's a far cry from her audition where she decided to primarily focus on her voice. I feel as though we haven't seen her best yet. I'd like to see her combat a rap song. I think she'll be good at it.

8. Ivana Ilic
Previous ranking: 14
I really enjoyed her Top 21 performance. She has a similar style to Imogen but no where near as high-octane. If she can maintain or even improve on her Top 21 performance for the rest of the series, she could very well go deep.

9. Tyler Hammill

Previous ranking: 11
I wasn't a fan of his performance and neither were the Judges. He was lucky Kyle decided to save him because he wouldn't have got through otherwise. Tyler knew it wasn't his greatest performance - he admitted it. He's the most capable of the bottom four.

10. Kiani Smith
Previous ranking: 15
Wow, what a performance. Where did that come from? She's only below Tyler because she hasn't put in as many solid performances as he has.

_________

11. Trent Richardson

Previous ranking: 13
Not the greatest performance, but I've always liked him. I wouldn't pay money to see him in concert, but I'd spend hours watching him perform live at a bar. His style and personality are tip top. I reckon he has the potential to last several weeks in this competition because the teeny boppers will vote for him based purely on his looks, style and personality.

12. Isaac McCallum
Previous ranking: 21
My wife really likes him, and so does Kyle. Both of them have mentioned it's due to his tough background of living on the streets. I'm happy for him that he's made it to the top 12, but he does nothing for me.

I've sorted those rankings out in categories. I didn't intentionally break them down in 4-2-2-2-2 format, it just worked out like that. Think of the categories as "Brilliant", "Great", "Very good", "Good" and "Average".

X_box_X pretty fair list, personally I’m having Kiani a few spots higher though. She’s the type we are lacking. I really hope we don’t see another boring bland pop winner, Imogen is just Kate DeRago take 2, good vocalist and then what?

IMO, TJ is the one here who represents the most value.

FWIW, I got on Denvah and Dylan last week at $10 and $11 respectively.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-21-14-56-44-42_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-21-14-56-44-42_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 16
I think you have most of them right, Xie, with the exception of Denvah, of course. Too country, too Nashville yodelly for me.

How the hell Tyler was given a Fast Pass is beyond me. Karl screwed up with his interpretation of its use.

I never saw the earlier years of Australian Idol, so I can't compare contestants, but Ripley is certainly something I never saw in American Idol in 15 years. The talent this year is so much better than last year.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Imogen:
She did something different tonight that she hasn't done yet. Instead of concentrating on her voice, she tried to bring more energy to the stage and it affected her voice in a big way.

Isaac:
Same old, same old. Average performance.

Drea:
Not a bad performance by Drea considering five minutes prior to entering the stage she went three rounds with a rainbow paddle pop.

I don't think she has put in a bad performance yet. All good performances but she hasn't once wowed me.. I want to be wowed.

Dylan:
PERFORMANCE OF THE NIGHT.

Great performance as usual. When I heard he was taking on '500 miles', I was surprised and worried. I found it hard to imagine his voice taking that song on. But the spin he put on it was very good. Impressive.

TJ:

He's the one I've had the most difficulty rating. Part of me acknowledges it's primarily a singing talent show, but I can't shake the fact that I love being entertained. He always brings energy, creativity and artistry. Those strengths are a given. If I'm ranking him as an overall package (which I've done every week), he rates highly. But if I stray from that and consider that it's 'Australian Idol', known primarily as a singing show, then he'd rate low for me.

Kiani:
She backed up her brilliant performance last week with a very good performance tonight. She looked like she was having fun on stage and it made me believe what she was singing. She has proven she has a good voice. At only 17, she has a bright future and will continue to blossom.

I think Imogen was a bit disappointing, probably because I don't like the song she chose. Isaac should be going home. How many last chances does he get? I liked Drea's performance. She's got the energy. CJ? Meh. He's a good showman, but his singing is just not up to par. Kiani did well, considering she looked so nervous. I'm glad the judges mentioned the top she wore. She seemed far too conscious of it while singing. Dylan was superb. His take on the song was a pleasant surprise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prior to tonight's elimination:

UPDATED POWER RANKINGS:

1. Ripley Alexander
Previous ranking: 1
Solidifies his ranking with another sensational performance. Billy Joel is my favourite solo artist of all time and he took on one of his classics. He put his own unique spin on it and smashed it!

2. Denvah Baker-Moller
Previous ranking: 3
She was brilliant last night, even more brilliant than she normally is.

3. Dylan Wright
Previous ranking: 4
I already shared my thoughts two nights ago. What I'll add to my previous comments is he does something with his voice that is both unique and cool. He does it with every song he sings, but doesn't overdo it. The judges haven't provided any commentary about it, but I'm sure they've picked up on it, and I'm pretty sure all three of them would know the word for it. Like, his voice is already very good, but this extra dimension to his tone could be enough to see him outclass everyone else. Does anyone know what I'm referring to?

4. Imogen Spendlove
Previous ranking: 2
Comments provided two nights ago.

_________

5. Amy Reeves
Previous ranking: 5
I've liked her since the beginning. She doesn't really have a weakness, and her performance of 'Ain't No Other Man' was very good. There were a couple of times in that performance where she went low and strong, lowering her centre of gravity and holding onto a belter of a contralto. When she did this, I imagined her in a film clip with a hidden industrial fan blowing in her face with her hair blowing around. Realising this, it hit me that she absolutely has the look, style and voice to make it in this industry.

6. TJ (Eyes)
Previous ranking: 5
My comments were already provided two nights ago.

7. Ivana Ilic
Previous ranking: 8
Very good performance last night. She's starting to grow on me. Not only has she moved up one spot in my rankings, but more importantly I've elevated her to the second highest category. I think her two most recent performances are her strongest.

8. Drea Onamade
Previous ranking: 7
Comments already provided two nights ago. She has moved down one spot, but I've actually elevated her to a higher category due to her consistency.

9. Kiani Smith

Previous ranking: 10
Comments provided already.

10. Tyler Hammill
Previous ranking: 9
I enjoyed his performance. He's still one of the weakest remaining and he was slightly outclassed by Kiani so those two swap positions. I like his look and style. Suits him.

_________

11. Trent Richardson

Previous ranking: 11
My tip for elimination.

12. Isaac McCallum
Previous ranking: 12
My tip for elimination.

I personally believe there is a gulf between Trent & Isaac and the rest of the Idol hopefuls. They're pub singers. And as I've said previously, I'd have no issue going to a pub to watch them perform live.

In relation to the thing Dylan does with his voice, it becomes more high-octane but it's still different to anything I've ever seen. Surely I'm not the only one who has noticed it. I love it. It's the sort of thing that will get packed out stadiums to erupt.

1:20 into this performance

And this clip has his five previous performances in order. I will time stamp the times in which the high-octane tune occurs.

1:24 of his audition
2:30 - group performance
3:34 & 3:53 - second group performance (as a side note, this trio is very good and was the best trio from that episode)

* He actually didn't do it in his top 24 or top 21 performances. But it's like he went to do it in his 'Walking in Memphis' performance but held back. Refer to 7:26.

Take out the #2 and put her at near the bottom, and I'd be happy with the rankings.

I caught up later with last night's performances and was really impressed with Ripley as usual. There's something about him that reads "star". He and Dylan and the lovely Amy are still my favourites. Imogen is also hanging in there.

Tonight I'd like to see Woolies trolley boy go home as well as surfer boy.

I saw Billy Joel in concert at Kooyong Park back on Oct 31, 1987. Front row seats, thanks to a former student.

Take out the #2 and put her at near the bottom, and I'd be happy with the rankings.

I caught up later with last night's performances and was really impressed with Ripley as usual. There's something about him that reads "star". He and Dylan and the lovely Amy are still my favourites. Imogen is also hanging in there.

Tonight I'd like to see Woolies trolley boy go home as well as surfer boy.

I saw Billy Joel in concert at Kooyong Park back on Oct 31, 1987. Front row seats, thanks to a former student.

When did you move to Chicago?

March 2000. Gone for over 17 years. I've been back now for almost 7. Remember the first year on BF? You started a month before me - almost 23 years ago.

American Idol lost credibility after Taylor Hicks won. I didn't watch the first season, but watched the Ruben/Clay rivalry in Season 2 and got hooked. Watched until Season 15. Too many country singers won. The South voted more than the rest of the country most years. My favourites tended to come in 3rd.

TJ over Imogen. What an absolute joke.

Whatever he attempted to sing was so bad I genuinely thought he was tanking. But I haven’t seen enough to know if that’s his level. But that was awful.

How is Imogen gone??

TJ over Imogen. What an absolute joke.

Whatever he attempted to sing was so bad I genuinely thought he was tanking. But I haven’t seen enough to know if that’s his level. But that was awful.

How is Imogen gone??

Imogen is as bland as can be sorry but and this will sound bad. If I were down at the pub I’d be happy to have her sing, but she’s nothing special. TJ has something that you can’t teach

I missed Imogen losing. (Switched to Survivor.) I don't think I want to watch the show online. If Ripley goes, I might give up completely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back