Remove this Banner Ad

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
I went back through many, many pages of threads looking for a thread focusing on Australian Music and didn’t find anything. There may be one but I haven’t found it so I’m starting this thread.

Anything Australian. New albums, new bands, old bands, singers, musicians, rumor's. Anything, as long as it’s Australian.

I’m going to start this with a couple of songs from the Southern River Band.

This is a video with effects straight from the 60’s but in colour and is a suitably daggy way to start an Australian Music thread.

And live.

I recently purchased the 30th Anniversary edition of the Clouds Penny Century album on LP. It is a brilliant album, one of the best Australian albums of 1990's

It's a shame they didn't have any commercial success, they were such a great band and a great live band they toured last month to promote the album but unfortunately, they didn't come to Canberra, and I couldn't make it to the Sydney show. :(

My teenage years coincided with the renaissance of Aussie music in the mid to late 70s.

Countdown, Sherbet, Skyhooks, Hush, TMG, JPY, AC/DC (Bon era), LRB, INXS, Chisel, The Saints, Marcia Hines, Midnight Oil, The Angels, Dragon, The Sports, The Mentals, The Tatts, Air Supply, Split Enz, the late Renee Geyer, the late Jon English, The Radiators and others who I have forgotten........all these acts were either prominent or emerged or were formed during this period. (You can include the Bee Gees and the late Olivia N-J in there too if you want to consider them Aussies). And there was certainly a variety of musical styles in that lot to choose from.

It truly was a magical time to be following music, I'm not sure if there has been a period in Aussie music to match it.

Last edited:
Probably should have Chisel's Home and Broken Hearted in here

My 20 Favourite Australian Songs

20: The Power and the Passion - Midnight Oil

Dozens of Oils songs are worthy of being in my top 40. I still have a ringing in my ear at times from being up the front at one of their concerts in 1980.

19: Without You - Doug Parkinson In Focus

Featuring some mighty fine guitar by Billy Green.

No video :(

18: Make It Last All Night - Jimmy Barnes

17: Craise Finton Kirk - Johnny Young

16: Sad Dark Eyes - The Loved Ones

Off the first LP we [my brother and I jointly] bought [1967] . Good choice!

15: Words - The Bee Gees

Hard to find a more beautiful song.

14: Music, Music, Music: The Mixtures

Conveys the fun of music nicely.

13: Under The Milky Way - The Church

12: How Can You Mend A Broken Heart – Bee Gees

I like to sing along with this. Please note the ‘ ....shhhh..’ at 1:49

11: Everlasting Love - The Town Criers

10: Friends of Mine - Kevin Johnson

I love the way this portrays love of music and the experience of hearing songs played on the radio. It was rarely played on radio - I only ever heard it on the 3AW overnight show, maybe Keith McGowan’s show.

9: State of the Heart - Mondo Rock

OK maybe there is a song as beautiful as Words

Mondo Rock - State of the Heart (1981)

8: Xanadu - Olivia Newton John.

Dreamy song and what a sweet voice! The echoes of long ago.

Olivia Newton John Xanadu Original Version Remastered HD (1980)

7: Magic - Olivia Newton John.

Olivia Newton-John - Magic

6: Friday On My Mind - The Easybeats

The Easybeats - Friday On My Mind

5: Celebration - The Kevin Borich Express

I first went to see the KBE at a concert at Elsternwick football oval having been impressed with what I had heard of him on tv and radio. During this song he did a guitar solo where he turned the volume way up and made amazing sounds just by tapping the back of the guitar. I was a big fan from then on.

Kevin Borich Express - Celebration (1977)

4: Even When I'm Sleeping - Leonardo’s Bride

Leonardo’s Bride - Even When I'm Sleeping (Official Video)

3: The First of May - The Bee Gees

BEE GEES - FIRST OF MAY

2: Love Letters - Billy Thorpe.

I love singing along to this more than any other song. Love the way Billy sang it.

Billy Thorpe - Love Letters

1: One Long Day - Cold Chisel

The first Cold Chisel song I ever heard. I was listening to 3RRR in the back yard one day and it came on. I was mightily impressed and went out and bought the self titled debut LP - which is also my fave Australian album.

Cold Chisel - One Long Day (Live Footage 1978)

LeakyValve

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Probably posted previously but always worth a re-run. A little un-PC but never mind.

This is worth a re-run too even though it is a mish-mash of nationalities performing.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
La De Das with Kevin Borich on guitar. I saw this song live a number of times. They were a great band of their time, their concert with the Aztecs at the Myer Music Bowl was about the biggest of the era.

Edit: When I woke up this morning I had remembered that Reno Tehei (had to look up his name) the bass player got arrested for robbing a bank in Sydney. Ian Rilen, (Rose Tattoo, Blackfeather, Band of Light) also fresh out of Long Bay, put a deposit on Tehei's bass but before he could pay the rest Tehei got deported back to NZ, never got the money and Rilen used it for the rest of his life.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
David Hirschfelder, one of the greatest and most prolific, but maybe one of the least known Australian musicians. If you know him it may be because of his time in the Australian Jazz Fusion Band, Pyramid or the Peter Cupples Band. He also played in the Little River Band and Dragon He was the keyboard player in John Farnham's backing band and played on the Whispering Jack, Age of Reason and Chain Reaction albums.
In 1989 he released his own album "Welcome To The Nightclub Of My Mind". Every instrument was digital. He sampled, programmed and played every instrument by keyboard. Listening to it, you probably wouldn't know that they are not real instruments. It was the first album in the world to be made that had all artifical instruments. However, it isn't this work where he has found fame and fortune. Hirschfelder is a prolific composer for films (around 30) and TV series. Some of his well known works would be, Strictly Ballroom, Shine, Sliding Doors, Elizabeth, Hanging Up, Peaches, Australia, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole, The Railway Man, the Water Diviner, The Dressmaker, In Like Flynn and Ride Like a Girl.
He also composed the opening ceremony for the Sydney Olympics.
This song "Cool School Rules" is from his album "Welcome To The Nightclub Of My Mind" and is one of my favourite songs. It was performed live on the Steve Vizard show.

Last edited:

saintal

All Australian
Mar 29, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
South Adel, Portland, QPR, Penrith
These guys debuted around 20 years ago with a top 40 single from a really solid pop-rock album, but sadly that was their only output before disbanding.

WireHawk

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
The Black Lodge
AFL Club
Hawthorn
NO were Ollie Olsen, Michael Sheridan & Marie Hoy. Late 80's. I loved seeing them live. Michael
Hutchence took Ollie & Michael to form Max Q. That was that. This is live from RMIT. Jimi Hendrix classic
"Are You Experienced?'

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
New aus band I found from melb called Nth Rd

probably not everybody's taste but I like their heavyish style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back