Opinion Australian of the Year..

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Not footy related, but I woke up this morning to news that "body image activist" Taryn Brumfitt has been named the 2023 Australian of the Year.

Apart from not knowing what a body image activist does, or having heard of Ms. Brumfitt, am I the only one who thinks Australian of the Year has become associated with fashionable causes?

And no, I don't vote for Pauline Hanson.

I have no objection to Taryn Brumfitt nor the message she represents. But I agree that it seems to be "pick a worthy cause' at times.

Body image, disability in sports, sexual assault, prevention of blindness, Thai cave divers, quantum physics, spinal cord injuries, diversity/inclusion, domestic violence, indigenous advocacy being the last decade.

I'll admit though, I'd prefer the worthy causes to the list of sporting stars that were previously in vogue, although a couple on that list above don't quite hit the mark for me.

To be honest, I probably prefer those who've put in a fair length of time and expertise (Fiona Wood, Ian Frazer, Dr James Muecke) but (a) that betrays my personal biases and (b) I accept that we shouldn't exclusively focus on one sector.

Not footy related, but I woke up this morning to news that "body image activist" Taryn Brumfitt has been named the 2023 Australian of the Year.

Apart from not knowing what a body image activist does, or having heard of Ms. Brumfitt, am I the only one who thinks Australian of the Year has become associated with fashionable causes?

And no, I don't vote for Pauline Hanson.

Looking at the lists below - I wouldn’t have thought so, unless you think saving kids trapped in caves or biomedical research into spinal injuries or quantum physics or eye surgery are ”fashionable causes”

of the so-called “fashionable” causes I wouldn’t have thought that domestic violence or sexual assault or disability services were particularly fashionable - and advocating on behalf of survivors is something I actually think is worthy.

the one on that list that sticks out to me is Ita F****ing Buttrose - as in what the F did she ever do, other than sit in an office and oversea the production of a magazine that contributed in large part to create the problems this year’s recipient it trying to combat?

76668938-2EB1-4D4E-ACB2-98329A09C1B0.jpeg
also, I think you’ll find that community service workers who are engaged in so-called “fashionable causes” is still outnumbered nearly 2 to 1 by sportspeople - so, you know…..

A41409FD-38C3-4632-B1ED-70FAFC37114B.jpeg

Last edited:

Looking at the lists below - I wouldn’t have thought so, unless you think saving kids trapped in caves or biomedical research into spinal injuries or quantum physics or eye surgery are ”fashionable causes”

of the so-called “fashionable” causes I wouldn’t have thought that domestic violence or sexual assault were particularly fashionable - and advocating on behalf of survivors is something I actually think is worthy.

the one on that list that sticks out to me is Ita F****ing Buttrose - as in what the F did she ever do, other than sit in an office and oversea the production of a magazine that contributed in large part to create the problems this year’s recipient it trying to combat?

View attachment 1593906
also, I think you’ll find that community service workers who are engaged in so-called “fashionable causes” is still outnumbered nearly 2 to 1 by sportspeople - so, you know…..

View attachment 1593905
We all have our opinions.

"My Australian of the Year would be a doctor or nurse working nights in intensive care or the ED, dealing with COVID and daily death. Real, compassionate work. For very little money. NOT someone who makes a buck out of saying it’s ok to be a bit fat."

The opinion of broadcaster and author Mike Carlton. I agree with him.

"My Australian of the Year would be a doctor or nurse working nights in intensive care or the ED, dealing with COVID and daily death. Real, compassionate work. For very little money. NOT someone who makes a buck out of saying it’s ok to be a bit fat."

The opinion of broadcaster and author Mike Carlton. I agree with him.
Carlton didn’t seem to mind that Dylan Alcott had spent little time helping the sick and dying when declaring him a Great Choice for AOY a year ago.
There are often dissenting views about the recipients of these awards and Carlton is entitled to his opinion. Helps demonstrate what an attention seeking knob he has become.

Nice turn of phrase!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back