Australian Open 2017 - Day 12

Remove this Banner Ad

The final should be great on Sunday. May very well be the last time they meet in a final in a Grand Slam.

All the hype yet both finals have the potential to be straight set fizzers.

Women's will be. Selena will wipe the floor with Venus.

My heart bleeds Federer in the Men's and not just because I despise Rafa but Roger is one of my all time favourites.

Realistically however Rafa has a clear advantage over Federer.

In terms of the standard of the match I think it's right up there as some of the best tennis we've seen at the AO this era.

As an overall spectacle, sits somewhere amongst Nadal v Djokovic 2012 final, Verdasco v Nadal 2009 semi and Djokovic v Wawrinka 2013 fourth round as the best match at the AO this era for mine.

Just brilliance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In terms of the standard of the match I think it's right up there as some of the best tennis we've seen at the AO this era.

As an overall spectacle, sits somewhere amongst Nadal v Djokovic 2012 final, Verdasco v Nadal 2009 semi and Djokovic v Wawrinka 2013 fourth round as the best match at the AO this era for mine.

Just brilliance.
Federer v Safin 2005 Semi Final is the best I've seen down under but this ranks in the top 5 matches I've seen along with the other matches you've mentioned.

Federer v Safin 2005 Semi Final is the best I've seen down under but this ranks in the top 5 matches I've seen along with the other matches you've mentioned.
Hewitt / Nalbandian the same year went alright too.

The only one I'd have above it was the Nadal/Verdasco semi final
I don't think I'll ever rate a match higher than the '12 final for theatre to be honest. That final set was incredible. Phenomenal. It's the closest thing to a literal definition of an emotional rollercoaster that you'll ever get. It wasn't the highest quality, but it was the best example of two guys giving absolutely everything on a tennis court I have ever seen. I'll never forget the way I felt during that final set.

I never liked the Novak v. Djokovic 6 hour fest. You need like one ball striker and one counter puncher then it's a great fun matchup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back