• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Day 1 is here. The 2023 Australian Open officially starts with no controversy at all this year. i am sure that will change over the 2 weeks.

Weather: 29C. Partly cloudy No chance of Rain.
Weather Rest of the week. Tmw hot. Wednesday might rain.

Main Courts
RLA 11am
Siniakova-Gauff
Yuan-Sakkari
Nadal-Draper
7pm
Swiatek-Neimeier
Giron-Medvedev

MCA 11am
Pegula-Cristian
Hurkacz-Martinez
Azarenka-Kenin
7pm
Tsitsipas-Halys
Keys-Blinkova

JCA 11am
Edmund-Sinner
Kvitova-VUyvanck
Kubler-Baez
Auger-Aliassime vs. Pospisil

I reckon there might be a few upsets. I think Draper and Nadal could be a really close one, and for me, with Nadal coming on top just due to experience. Nadal in 5. It is a nasty draw to get the 40th-ranked player, who just beat Karen Khachanov in Adelaide.

There could be some other tight matches for seeds or big names. One match not listed above is Llyod Haris v Musetti, the 17th seed. Smell an upset there with Harris coming back from injury and having made the 3rd round 2 years ago here. Another is Rybakina, who is playing on an outside court as a Wimbledon winner and has a losing record so far this year, is playing the finalist of Hobart in Cocciaretto. Think Rybakina but perhaps a better court next time for the current Wimbledon winner. . Gauff has a tough one first up on RLA v Siniakova, who played well after a slow start to Garcia in Adelaide 2.

Match of the day.
Was tempted to go Kostyuk - Anisimova (28), as it is a battle between young guns. Will be keeping a close eye on that one. Yastremska - Ostapenko (17) will be interesting, just for the laughs. But the best on the women's is clearly Azarenka v Kenin, the only 2 former winners in the draw. You could say a thing about Kenins form and Azarenkas age but the sheer fact we only have 2 former winners in the Aus Open women's draw, and they play each other, is scary.

Last edited:

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
I’ll just copy and paste this from the other thread regarding day 1.
    • Tsitsipas vs Halys. Halys looked great vs Djokovic in Adelaide then had a good week in NZ.
    • Nadal vs Draper. Nadal in 4 for mine, but were his United Cup losses a sign regarding his chances?
    • Sinner, FAA, Medvedev, Shapovalov, Korda all in action. All threats to various extents.
    • Women’s you’ve got Swiatek opening her campaign against Niemeier. The latter is coming off QF at 4R last two slams. Tough start.
    • Siniakova vs Gauff. If Katya can perform like she did against Garcia, she could cause a massive upset.
    • Kenin vs Azarenka. Two former AO champions, you’d expect Vika to win in 2 but you never know.
    • Kostyuk vs Anisimova. Despite the seed I expect Marta to come through this one.
    • Eva Lys in her first GS MD appearance. Shattered I’ll miss her match. She plays a fellow qualifier, who is solid but won’t blow you off the court. I like her chances.
    • 15 year old Brenda Fruhvirtova. Can see win a match?
    • Raducana also begins the day on 1573 arena, is she fit? Can she get on a run? She hasn’t looked at all convincing since the 2021 US Open.

BobbyMorri potentially one of the better women matches is Sweitek's one. Now I'm not saying Iga loses but that's a brutal draw, Neimer is so dangerous.

Actually tipping Kenin over Vika. Nice to see Sofia back after a rough year and a half.

danstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Havent watched any tennis in the leadup, its been a total fail from Australian tennis organisers.

I am ready for some good matches in the next couple of days. Im predicting a 3 set match for Swiatek, that could go either way.
Fruhvirtova could be a win, she will be one to watch in the coming years.
Nadal will be pushed to 5 sets in opening round

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
Lys out. :( Not sure what happened in sets 2&3 after a great start. I noticed she had tape on her right wrist which wasn’t there previously. So sad.

Great wins for Kostyuk and Andreescu.

danstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
lets spend time pumping up some random aussie who has no hope... they need to stop saying the aussie here has some hope

Back