• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Day 1 is here. The 2023 Australian Open officially starts with no controversy at all this year. i am sure that will change over the 2 weeks.

Weather: 29C. Partly cloudy No chance of Rain.
Weather Rest of the week. Tmw hot. Wednesday might rain.

Main Courts
RLA 11am
Siniakova-Gauff
Yuan-Sakkari
Nadal-Draper
7pm
Swiatek-Neimeier
Giron-Medvedev

MCA 11am
Pegula-Cristian
Hurkacz-Martinez
Azarenka-Kenin
7pm
Tsitsipas-Halys
Keys-Blinkova

JCA 11am
Edmund-Sinner
Kvitova-VUyvanck
Kubler-Baez
Auger-Aliassime vs. Pospisil

I reckon there might be a few upsets. I think Draper and Nadal could be a really close one, and for me, with Nadal coming on top just due to experience. Nadal in 5. It is a nasty draw to get the 40th-ranked player, who just beat Karen Khachanov in Adelaide.

There could be some other tight matches for seeds or big names. One match not listed above is Llyod Haris v Musetti, the 17th seed. Smell an upset there with Harris coming back from injury and having made the 3rd round 2 years ago here. Another is Rybakina, who is playing on an outside court as a Wimbledon winner and has a losing record so far this year, is playing the finalist of Hobart in Cocciaretto. Think Rybakina but perhaps a better court next time for the current Wimbledon winner. . Gauff has a tough one first up on RLA v Siniakova, who played well after a slow start to Garcia in Adelaide 2.

Match of the day.
Was tempted to go Kostyuk - Anisimova (28), as it is a battle between young guns. Will be keeping a close eye on that one. Yastremska - Ostapenko (17) will be interesting, just for the laughs. But the best on the women's is clearly Azarenka v Kenin, the only 2 former winners in the draw. You could say a thing about Kenins form and Azarenkas age but the sheer fact we only have 2 former winners in the Aus Open women's draw, and they play each other, is scary.

Last edited:
I’ll just copy and paste this from the other thread regarding day 1.
    • Tsitsipas vs Halys. Halys looked great vs Djokovic in Adelaide then had a good week in NZ.
    • Nadal vs Draper. Nadal in 4 for mine, but were his United Cup losses a sign regarding his chances?
    • Sinner, FAA, Medvedev, Shapovalov, Korda all in action. All threats to various extents.
    • Women’s you’ve got Swiatek opening her campaign against Niemeier. The latter is coming off QF at 4R last two slams. Tough start.
    • Siniakova vs Gauff. If Katya can perform like she did against Garcia, she could cause a massive upset.
    • Kenin vs Azarenka. Two former AO champions, you’d expect Vika to win in 2 but you never know.
    • Kostyuk vs Anisimova. Despite the seed I expect Marta to come through this one.
    • Eva Lys in her first GS MD appearance. Shattered I’ll miss her match. She plays a fellow qualifier, who is solid but won’t blow you off the court. I like her chances.
    • 15 year old Brenda Fruhvirtova. Can see win a match?
    • Raducana also begins the day on 1573 arena, is she fit? Can she get on a run? She hasn’t looked at all convincing since the 2021 US Open.

BobbyMorri potentially one of the better women matches is Sweitek's one. Now I'm not saying Iga loses but that's a brutal draw, Neimer is so dangerous.

Actually tipping Kenin over Vika. Nice to see Sofia back after a rough year and a half.

Havent watched any tennis in the leadup, its been a total fail from Australian tennis organisers.

I am ready for some good matches in the next couple of days. Im predicting a 3 set match for Swiatek, that could go either way.
Fruhvirtova could be a win, she will be one to watch in the coming years.
Nadal will be pushed to 5 sets in opening round

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lys out. :( Not sure what happened in sets 2&3 after a great start. I noticed she had tape on her right wrist which wasn’t there previously. So sad.

Great wins for Kostyuk and Andreescu.

Back