• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Well, the schedule is out on the main courts. I will add to this post later on with everything I normally do. Think we will do daily threads again as it keeps things going for the 2 weeks. And I like daily polls ;)

It is a Sunday start. 3 days of round 1 action. Not a fan personally, as there was always something special following day one at a slam. Action, left right and centre.

RLA
Day Session From 12pm
J. Sinner [4] vs B. van de Zandschulp
M. Sakkari [8] vs N. Hibino

Night Session From 7pm
N. Djokovic [1] vs D. Prizmic [Q]
E. Seidel [Q] vs A. Sabalenka [2]

MCA
Day session - From 12:00pm AEDT
M. Hontama [WC] vs B. Krejcikova [9]
T. Seyboth Wild vs A. Rublev [5]

Night Session From 7pm
M. Linette [20] vs C. Wozniacki [WC]
F. Tiafoe [17] vs B. Coric

John Cain Arena
Day session - From 11:00am AEDT
L. Fernandez [32] vs S. Bejlek [Q]
:australia: D. Sweeny [Q] vs F. Cerundolo [22]
T. Fritz [12] vs F. Diaz Acosta

Aussies in Action.
First on KIA Arena
Matteo Arnaldi vs Adam Walton :australia:
Last on court, around 5:30.
Galan vs Kubler:australia:

Last on Court 3(around 3:30om)
O'Connell :Australia: vs Garin

Weather: 24C, The rest of the week is typical Melbourne summer days. Hot, windy, humid, cloudy and a chance of a storm of 2. That is just in 4 hours.

Here we go. Deep breath. A lot of tennis to be played, with a total of 254 singles matches scheduled over 15 days—not counting doubles and all the other events. A couple of new changes: a Sunday start and only two matches during the day. Personally, paying $185 for a Center Court ticket with only two matches on a hot day, when there should be much better matches happening on the outside courts, is not something I would do.

The tournament doesn't start with a bang. There should be a good atmosphere during the twilight with the Aussie men in action. Galan and his Chilean friends are always loud and proud so it could be quite a vocal match in the stands.

(I am thinking of Garin here, not Galan. Galan should bring a lot of Colombian fans to MP, so my point still stands)

The two defending champs take center stage on the first night session, but neither should be stressed by a couple of qualifiers.

The night session on MCA looks fantastic. Linette is defending semi-final points from last year, and well, that is a significant portion of her points. She has only won another 18 matches on tour since that run last year. So, I think she would be very unhappy to play a former champ who has shown some good form since her return.

Coric is a very handy player on his day; injuries have hurt his career, but he boasts three wins over Nadal and a Master title (along with a runner-up medal as well). It could be a late night if he comes to play.

Match of the day: I am going to go all hipster and choose Samsonova vs. Anisimova, mainly because I am so happy to see Anisimova back on the court. This match is before the Galan Kubler match on Kia. This is her first set of tournaments in six or so months. Form-wise, neither player is setting the house on fire, with Samsonova losing to Siegemund in Adelaide being a particular lowlight.

Last edited:
Schedule looks fairly thin with the extra day. Only 30 odd games.

I get they needed to make changes to MCA and RLA but I liked the outside courts going until late. Not that many went past 10pm

What's the go with the 12pm start and two matches?

It was my impression that they would schedule two matches but more than likely put a third on court so long as it wasn't starting past a certain time? Am I mistaken?

What's the go with the 12pm start and two matches?

It was my impression that they would schedule two matches but more than likely put a third on court so long as it wasn't starting past a certain time? Am I mistaken?
They have an "Intentionally Blank" listed below the 2nd day session. So they may do what you said.

They have an "Intentionally Blank" listed below the 2nd day session. So they may do what you said.

I think that's the plan but with a 12pm start that seems unlikely unless there is a retirement.

I was a supporter of moving the first round accross three days but I would of only done it with RLA and MCA. More for TV and Corporates. There is only 11 games maybe less if they move some not on a 'stadium' court which was part of what made the first few rounds special.

Have to admit, I didn't realise Day 1 was going to be that light on. A $60 ground pass tomorrow is looking a little less desirable compared to getting a $20 ground pass after work on Wednesday. What do people think the crowds are going to be like tomorrow? With so few courts in use will it be a tough day to just watch a set here and there moving between courts?

Have to admit, I didn't realise Day 1 was going to be that light on. A $60 ground pass tomorrow is looking a little less desirable compared to getting a $20 ground pass after work on Wednesday. What do people think the crowds are going to be like tomorrow? With so few courts in use will it be a tough day to just watch a set here and there moving between courts?
Remaining tickets for RLA day session are $185. I’m talking seats at the very back. On day one. For two matches. One of them being Sakkari. Absolutely mind blowing.

I'm the same, I think rather than moving between courts it is going to be more a case of picking a stadium court and staying there.

Only six courts will be going at 11am. It usually takes a while to build and crowd to settle but I am expecting it to be crowded.

The real shame is most courts outside RLA and MCA will be finished well before 7pm.

Last edited:
updated the first post.

I think they should start the night matches at 6:30. I know why they won't(The news) but it is not like the tennis coverage stops during the 6pm news. That would help with the super late matches way more than just having 2 matches during the day.

We have seen several 3-hour women's matches already this year. you start at 7pm, they end at 10pm. half an hour change over and you are still starting a men's match at 10:30 pm, which, if long, could go into the wee hours once more. I am getting old, I can't stay up that late anymore

I also hate when centre court starts later, The coverage starts with an outside court match and then shifts after 1 hour. At least it is not Wimbledon and they have JCA starting simultaneously with the outside courts. If it rains, there will be some tennis still going on somewhere.

Don’t mind them starting today, it can get awfully banked up very quickly if there is a bit of rain or extreme heat on the first two days. $60 for a ground pass is a bit steep though considering there are less matches to choose from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Day 2 looks much better.

Gauff and Tsistpas/Berrentini and Demon and Osaka at night.
Medvedev on MCA
Murray and Wawrinka on KIA

Feels like day 3 could be thin as well though.

Only two of them are any good- Tsisipas/Berrentini and MAYBE the Murray match but he bores me

Who from that half would you put on RLA instead?

Plenty of good players, but it lacks the marketable star quality that day 2 has.

Iga should be on RLA but day 3 for the number 1 seed you’d expect her to get given the longer turnaround for the later stages.

I agree 100%.

Literally the first two are probably the two most marketable stars in the game right now. Novak is up there but every man and his dog likes Carlos. Rybakina is the new Maria, gorgeous and a top player literally WTA’s no1 in terms of the package. Iga is fantastic but she’s hardly the most marketable player out there.

Back