Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Welcome to the First Day. Long, long 2 weeks ahead, where this forum gets busy

Melbourne Forecast.
Temp Max-21
Showers and thunderstorms.
Possible rainfall: 15 to 35 mm

the 3 main courts Schedule. Full below. let's be honest, with that forecast, this is the only tennis which will be played on Day 1.

Rod Laver Arena
N. Osaka (3) v M. Bouzkova
A. Potapova v S. Williams (8)
S. Johnson v R. Federer (3)

NIGHT
A. Barty (1) v L. Tsurenko
J. Struff v N. Djokovic (2)

Margaret Court Arena
D. Shapovalov (13) v M. Fucsovics
K. Siniakova v P. Kvitova (7)
V. Williams v C. Gauff

NIGHT
S. Tsitsipas (6) v S. Caruso
S. Stephens (24) v S. Zhang

Melbourne Arena
M. Berrettini (8) v A. Harris (WC)
K. Ahn v C. Wozniacki
J. Londero v G. Dimitrov (18)
S. Stosur v C. McNally (Q)

As always on the first day, the more interesting matches will be on the outside courts. the main seeds RLA will finish nice and early. Can't see any shocks there. MCA looks more interesting for me personally. The Aus Open has helped all the finalists of this year's warm-up tournaments by playing all their games later than 4pm. Good move by them. Stosur will find it tough and is not favourite before people start with the whole choking angle. Stephens will lose as well. she is not right atm.

The Aussies match ups are as above.
A. Barty (1) v L. Tsurenko
M. Berrettini (8) v A. Harris (WC)
S. Stosur v C. McNally (Q)
PLUS
A. Li (Q) v L. Cabrera (WC) Women's Singles 1st Round (2nd on court 3) (2 C3)
J. Thompson v A. Bublik Men's Singles 1st Round (3 C3)
J. Millman v U. Humbert Men's Singles 1st Round (4 C3)
J. Sinner v M. Purcell (Q) Men's Singles 1st Round (2 C7)
G. Pella (22) v J. Smith (WC) Men's Singles 1st Round (1 C8)
M. Polmans (WC) v M. Kukushkin Men's Singles 1st Round (3 C8)

Match of the Day for me
V. Williams v C. Gauff
young v old. a rematch of Wimbledon, where young won. Be interesting to see if the Old dog has learned any new tricks or has age fully caught up with her.

Melbourne Forecast.
Temp Max-21
Showers and thunderstorms.
Possible rainfall: 15 to 35 mm

Unfortunately, I suspect this will be the most important comment regarding the days play.

Still, they have 3 courts with a roof...

Is it just me or is the traditional camera view (full court showing the players hitting back and forth) a bit bland this year ?

Its hard to explain, its not "buffering/stuttering internet style. But its like the early days of digital tv (like the difference between sbs and abc 24) - motion isnt smooth. Almost like its stuck on deciding whether it should be on pal or ntsc format.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Unfortunately, I suspect this will be the most important comment regarding the days play.

Still, they have 3 courts with a roof...
yeah. When the roofs close on the main courts, then you know the rain is coming and play on the outside courts will probably end for the day.

The good news is that they have been able to finish some matches already. The first "loser" was Johanna Larsson, who lost 6-1,6-0 to Paula Badosa after 58 mins. Weird one, like Larsson, qualified while I have never heard of Paula Badosa. Makes me think Johanna played injured. A couple of women's matches are finishing now.

Tennis is a weird sport sometimes. Bouzkova last match was on West Court down here in Hobart in front of about 20-30 dedicated fans. her next is in front of thousands. Bouzkova seemed like a nice person so happy to see she is more than holding her own against Osaka.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
I reckon the top four seeds will be the final four this year, with a Djokovic vs Medvedev final awaiting us. Hope to see Medvedev, or any first time slam winner get up. I don't take the greatness of the big three for granted, but watching them continue to win every big tournament just gets boring.

I reckon the top four seeds will be the final four this year, with a Djokovic vs Medvedev final awaiting us. Hope to see Medvedev, or any first time slam winner get up. I don't take the greatness of the big three for granted, but watching them continue to win every big tournament just gets boring.

Nadal has a horrific draw he'll do well to get to the final 4.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Nadal has a horrific draw he'll do well to get to the final 4.
Is it that difficult? He's a class above all. Worst case, he'll play Sousa then Carreno Busta, then Khachanov, then Monfils/Thiem to get there. None of them are particularly great at AO nor on hard courts in general. A wildcard like Kyrgios could throw a spanner in the works in the fourth round should he get through but I don't think he'll make it that far.

Is it that difficult? He's a class above all. Worst case, he'll play Sousa then Carreno Busta, then Khachanov, then Monfils/Thiem to get there. None of them are particularly great at AO nor on hard courts in general. A wildcard like Kyrgios could throw a spanner in the works in the fourth round should he get through but I don't think he'll make it that far.

Busta is a nightmare, Khachanov is a huge hitter and they trouble Nadal. Nadal is in dreadful form too, look at his form in the ATP Cup, it's not just the beatdown Novak gave him...the other matches, he was flopping sets all over the place. Kyrigos is also tough. It's as tough a draw for a number 1 in years. No shock Federer gets the cakewalk AGAIN!

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
Is it just me or is the traditional camera view (full court showing the players hitting back and forth) a bit bland this year ?

Its hard to explain, its not "buffering/stuttering internet style. But its like the early days of digital tv (like the difference between sbs and abc 24) - motion isnt smooth. Almost like its stuck on deciding whether it should be on pal or ntsc format.
Nerd.

Channel 9 coverage is way better than 7. Better commentators and no Bruce wanking over some shithack celebrities in the crowd. However Tony Jones is such a flog that it's difficult to watch him on the screen without becomming enraged.

Fist 3-4 days are always tough to watch though, too many useless nobodies.

Back