Grand Slam Australian open day 1

Remove this Banner Ad

If Osaka doesn't win the women's get the dartboard out, could be absolutely anybody.

I have positions on Medvedev and Thiem in the mens for an interest. It's time. But hey if Djokovic or Nadal win it won't exactly be a surprise....

Just saw that Li Tu got the last wildcard spot (from Murray's withdrawal)

Remember hearing about him many moons ago when he was a junior prodigy

He's a unique story because of the qualifying being held 3 weeks earlier. Since the players who lost in qualies can't have a wildcard it gave someone else a chance. Had some good results in these UTR events and with the spot free he was given it.

Centre Court day one is Osaka, Serena and Thiem. Night Session is Halep and Djokovic.
Why does Venus get so much special treatment at the AO? Why is she first up on MCA against unseeded Flipkins? Absolute joke when there are dozens of superior matches and MCA tickets are not cheap. Pathetic if you ask me.

Why does Venus get so much special treatment at the AO? Why is she first up on MCA against unseeded Flipkins? Absolute joke when there are dozens of superior matches and MCA tickets are not cheap. Pathetic if you ask me.
When you can still be playing that well at her age, I think it is to be admired and why not put a legend on MCA first up? This could be her last time in Australia so she deserves it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know much about the Australian girl named Kempenaers-Pocz playing doubles with Halep at the AO. I presume she is a hitting patter or a friend of Cahill. Good gig if you can get it.

With MCA you pay that money to get all the outside courts on that side too. Would rather that than pay big money to watch Osaka and Serena win in straight sets in under an hour on RLA, and then Thiem win easily to have the day session finish by 4pm and then have nothing to do.

With MCA you pay that money to get all the outside courts on that side too. Would rather that than pay big money to watch Osaka and Serena win in straight sets in under an hour on RLA, and then Thiem win easily to have the day session finish by 4pm and then have nothing to do.
The first 4 days, I think MCA provides the best access and value. I'd be going for that court if I were able to go.

The first 4 days, I think MCA provides the best access and value. I'd be going for that court if I were able to go.
Without doubt. MCA, 1573, Show Court 3 plus choice of 10 other courts. You can pick and choose games to see.

RLA, you get whatever 3 games are given to you with no chance of cross over to other sections to see anything else.

RLA

Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova vs. Naomi Osaka [3]

Laura Siegemund vs. Serena Williams [10]

Dominic Thiem [3] vs. Mikhail Kukushkin

NIGHT

Lizette Cabrera [WC] vs. Simona Halep [2]

Novak Djokovic [1] vs. Jérémy Chardy

Margaret Court Arena

Kirsten Flipkens vs. Venus Williams

Bernarda Pera vs. Angelique Kerber [23]

Marcos Giron vs. Alexander Zverev [6]

NIGHT

Greet Minnen [Q] vs. Petra Kvitová [9]

Denis Shapovalov [11] vs. Jannik Sinner

John Cain Arena

Stan Wawrinka [17] vs. Pedro Sousa

Misaki Doi vs. Ajla Tomljanović

Bianca Andreescu [8] vs. Mihaela Buzărnescu [LL]

NIGHT

Frederico Ferreira Silva [Q] vs. Nick Kyrgios

Aussies in the draw
Way too many to count(or type up). Good luck to all

Last edited:
MCA all the way. It is a weird feeling. Day 1 always seems so busy but it seems so light compared to last week. Lots of good matches. Crazy to think we are finally starting this. Been a lot of discussion and drama to get this up and running. here's hoping it feels normal in the next 2 weeks. My best matches looking at the schedule beyond the main courts.

Mens
Dimitrov v Cilic would be good(5 years ago).
Shapovalov (11) v Sinner should be great(If Sinner didn't play a final today/yesterday)
Kei Nishikori vs Pablo Carreno Busta [15]. The best on the men's side I feel. 2 years ago, that contest had the most dramatic ending, with the normally mild Spaniard chucking his bag on the court in anger. Busta for me. That Last on Court 1573

Girls side, it is a bit quieter.
Osaka Pav could far more interesting than a normal round 1 RLA clash.
Kudermetova (32) - Kostyuk should be the closest evenish match between decent players on good form.
My bias will, of course, be on Schmieds, who is a slight fav against Hibi.
Look out for a potential upset against Swiatek. Rus was the last person to beat her before the French and it is hard to get a readout on the form.

Aussies, Outside of Nick, Bernie is also playing. yay. A whole bunch of others like Millman, Bolt and Dasha. Plus the Duck. Too many to count

Going to go Novak to win the mens, just feel these conditions suit him the most.

As for the men women set get the dartboard out, don't like Osaka's chances personally so I'd be tipping around her. She annoys me to no end but Collins is playing outstanding tennis.

Nadal is a real worry with his back. Still, for once, you can look outside the big 4/2 and potentially see a Winner.

Osaka is the girl atm. hasn't lost since Feb last year, a whole 14 matches or something like that. but her draw is shocking compared to Barty. Still, it will depend on which girl hits the form and when. We saw that at the US Open and French last year. Girls like Brady and Swiatek going very deep or outright winning it from nowhere. Others like Kenin had no form whatsoever making a final, while others, like Azarenka, getting thrashed by a Slovak player outside the top 100 without a serve. Heck, at the French, it was the all about the qualies and low-ranked players.

At the US, we had a repeat of the final of the pre-warm up tournament. So I am expecting a Mertens Barty Muguruza, Li Ann and the 2 Estonians to all make the final........

Both sides of the draw are very interesting

Nadal is a real worry with his back. Still, for once, you can look outside the big 4/2 and potentially see a Winner.

Osaka is the girl atm. hasn't lost since Feb last year, a whole 14 matches or something like that. but her draw is shocking compared to Barty. Still, it will depend on which girl hits the form and when. We saw that at the US Open and French last year. Girls like Brady and Swiatek going very deep or outright winning it from nowhere. Others like Kenin had no form whatsoever making a final, while others, like Azarenka, getting thrashed by a Slovak player outside the top 100 without a serve. Heck, at the French, it was the all about the qualies and low-ranked players.

At the US, we had a repeat of the final of the pre-warm up tournament. So I am expecting a Mertens Barty Muguruza, Li Ann and the 2 Estonians to all make the final........

Both sides of the draw are very interesting

Osaka's draw basically almost rules her out for me, it's just too hard. Usually as one of the top seed's you get a round or two of walkovers basically. Osaka got probably every unseeded player she didn't want and the worst round 1 to get.

However outside of her it's a matter of who? Don't trust Serena doing it for 7 matches these days. Pliskova is weak when it matters, Kvitova finds some journeywoman to lose to as usual. Collins is possibly the best roughie in the draw as much as I can't stand her. Muguruza is a chance and she seems in form. Barty should make semis without doing too much.

I'm not sure if show court 3 is part of the MCA or RLA zones.
MCA. The Berlin Wall they built starts at the bottom of garden square. RLA is on its own (along with most of Grand Slam oval).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back