Grand Slam Australian open day 1

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Very poor. AO misread the situation. Tickets too expensive considering the timing of the tournament. Tickets for MCA should have been advertised as the ground pass ticket with access to the court all day and night. Could have planned it for a bit of a later start each day and bring back the after 5 ground pass.
Think I read that 54% of total attendance from previous years was from overseas(14%) or interstate visitors. That is a big chunk of your normal fans that are not going to attend this year. couple with the later start and how scared people are and the demand for those ticket prices is just not there. Should also say a lot of non-citizen residents would have gone back home as well.

I wonder if we will see the Greeks out for Stef tmw.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Sinner is done. Too much tennis

Look, he was not going to win the tournament regardless of whatever happened to last week. Winning a tournament should never be passed up. He was unlucky with his draw but that is what happens when you unseeded. Winning last week will help there.

it is a shame that the ATP kept with the Bo3 sets and not catching up sooner.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
Sinner is done. Too much tennis

Look, he was not going to win the tournament regardless of whatever happened to last week. Winning a tournament should never be passed up. He was unlucky with his draw but that is what happens when you unseeded. Winning last week will help there.

it is a shame that the ATP kept with the Bo3 sets and not catching up sooner.
Game back on!

An attendance of 17,922 today

Not great and yes the tickets could of been priced a bit cheaper but let's look at last year. 64,000, we are running at 50% so half that and we are at 32,000. Moved a few weeks later so kids are back in school, it's actually not too bad. See how the week goes

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Though that might be it this time
can never count Sharpo in. has lost from worst positions before. Can never forget him losing to a hack at the French, despite having so many chances to win it.

and all this toilet break issues reminds me of the time that Russian lost a whole game last year because he not on court due to being on the toilet. he thought he had a break and lost his cool when he come back to court to discover that he lost his serve.

A tough opponent but a bad loss by Jonny's standards. It won't be an easy year to travel and get ranking points so a missed opportunity at home.

What - Millman travelled last year when the season resumed, got good results and even won his maiden ATP tournament - There will be plenty of tounaments for him to play in 2021 - The challenge will be basing himself overseas for 6 months as its impractical to come back to OZ for a mid-season break

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Not great and yes the tickets could of been priced a bit cheaper but let's look at last year. 64,000, we are running at 50% so half that and we are at 32,000. Moved a few weeks later so kids are back in school, it's actually not too bad. See how the week goes
the weekend will be interesting. normally 90K crowds for those. they SHOULD fill the 30K cap easily.

What always surprises me about Tomic is how he stays on the tour. He picks and chooses when to play yet somehow does enough to pick up enough points to keep going.

Tomic is ranked 228 in the world ! He plays enough. It's just that with his ranking he's been 'off broadway' playing mainly challenger type events or 250 events.

they dont like each other. so what. Dont think it is a rule in this world which says you have to be nice to everyone.

I love it. Long live press conferences which aren't robotic, full of candy cane and full of cliches. Annoys the hell out of me when people complain about answers like what Novak did and what Nick will do.

Btw, on that. Paire had a couple of shots at hosting the tournament. I put the quotes in Spoilers, so not to create a super long post as I should post both the French and English versions.
"Je n'ai pas signé pour ça"

"C'est bien beau leur tournoi, mais pour moi, je trouve que c'est de la merde, et ce qui s'est passé, c'est honteux, a-t-il lâché. Après, mon niveau de jeu était bon, je trouve, mon attitude était bonne. J'espère que je ne me suis pas fait trop mal au coude. Mais sinon, dans l'ensemble, je suis très déçu de ce tournoi."

"Moi, je n'ai pas signé pour ça, fulmine-t-il encore. J'ai signé pour quatorze jours où je peux m'entraîner, un truc où, justement il n'y avait pas beaucoup de monde dans le vol pour, dans le cas d'une personne contaminée, qu'il n'y ait qu'une seule petite section concernée. Moi j'ai voyagé tout seul en business, je n'ai vu personne du voyage, je suis allé tout seul à l'Hyatt, parce qu'il n'y avait personne et que c'était le vol des qualifiés. Je n'ai pas croisé une personne de tout le voyage. Et là, il y a un cas positif dans le vol et tout le vol est en quarantaine! Je n'ai pas signé pour ça!"

"Ce n'est qu'une question d'argent"

Il dénonce une différence de traitement entre joueurs après qu'un cas détecté sur un autre vol n'a pas donné lieu aux mêmes complications. "Ce tournoi, franchement, je trouve que c'est vraiment de la merde", ajoute-t-il. Il poursuit. "Ce n'est qu'une question d'argent, dénonce-t-il. C'est tout, en fait. Il y a une énorme perte s'ils ne font pas le tournoi. Coûte que coûte, il faut qu'il y ait le tournoi. (...) Moi le premier, je joue aussi pour l'argent. Mais s'il faut faire tant de sacrifices et que ça se passe si mal, que ce soit une galère pareille, à un moment donné, il faut juste dire stop."
"I didn't sign for this"

"It's all well and good their tournament, but for me, I think it's crap, and what happened is shameful, he blurted. After, my level of play was well, I think, my attitude was good. I hope I didn't hurt my elbow too much. But otherwise, overall I'm very disappointed with this tournament. "

"Me, I did not sign for that, he fumed again. I signed for fourteen days where I can train, a thing where, precisely there were not many people in the flight for, in the case of an infected person, that there is only one small section concerned. I traveled alone in business, I did not see anyone on the trip, I went alone at Hyatt, because there was nobody there and it was the flight of the qualifiers. I did not meet a person the whole trip. And there, there is a positive case in the flight and the whole flight is in quarantine! I didn't sign up for that! "
"It's all about the money"

He denounces a difference in treatment between players after a case detected on another flight did not give rise to the same complications. “This tournament, frankly, I think it's really crap,” he adds. He pursues. “It's all about the money,” he denounces. “That's all, actually. There is a huge loss if they don't make the tournament. there is the tournament. (...) Me first, I also play for money. But if you have to make so many sacrifices and things go so badly, let it be such a hassle, at some point given, you just have to say stop. "

i did wonder when he would go nuts. There it is. Thankfully, he didnt speak it in English, so our ignorant media won't pick it up and use it to create more unhelpful headlines.

Following on - Watched Thiem's presser where he discussed the merits of a bubble ( which is how the rest of the tennis tour operates ) versus quarantine - Australia better hope the COVID situation ( vaccines working ) is better in 2022 or there will not be an Aussie Open.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Tomic is ranked 228 in the world ! He plays enough. It's just that with his ranking he's been 'off broadway' playing mainly challenger type events or 250 events.
be interesting to see if Tomic gets a RLA match next. He plays the winner of this match. Any normal Aussie would might get one if he was playing a player like Sharpo, NOT assuming he wins. Assuming joker gets 1 of the 2 RLA spots, then it is between Bolt - Dimitrov, Stan - Fucsovics, Theim v someone and Tomic v .....

I think it will be a MCA match perhaps.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
Shapovalov was winning his points like this v Djokovic too. I guess Sinner could move closer in, but he still isnt gonna miss that deadly first serve.

Think I read that 54% of total attendance from previous years was from overseas(14%) or interstate visitors. That is a big chunk of your normal fans that are not going to attend this year. couple with the later start and how scared people are and the demand for those ticket prices is just not there. Should also say a lot of non-citizen residents would have gone back home as well.

I wonder if we will see the Greeks out for Stef tmw.

A combination of no school holidays, no overseas attendees, capped crowds and inflated ticket prices make for tough going - I worry for the upcoming AFL season with capped crowds of 50% - Clubs will bleed money in 2021 because of less memberships being sold, along with the continued limits on corporate match-day functions which will hurt clubs bottom line.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Following on - Watched Thiem's presser where he discussed the merits of a bubble ( which is how the rest of the tennis tour operates ) versus quarantine - Australia better hope the COVID situation ( vaccines working ) is better in 2022 or there will not be an Aussie Open.
Tennis Aus probably can't afford another year of Covid. They used all their savings on this.

They rolled the dice on 1 year of Covid.

be interesting to see if Tomic gets a RLA match next. He plays the winner of this match. Any normal Aussie would might get one if he was playing a player like Sharpo, NOT assuming he wins. Assuming joker gets 1 of the 2 RLA spots, then it is between Bolt - Dimitrov, Stan - Fucsovics, Theim v someone and Tomic v .....

Think, Tomic may prefer to play on an outside court. There is bad blood between Tomic and TA which will never be repaired - Anyway, Tomic will need to lift his game to stay in the tournament.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Think, Tomic may prefer to play on an outside court. There is bad blood between Tomic and TA which will never be repaired - Anyway, Tomic will need to lift his game to stay in the tournament.
I might not be up to them. Tomic might get people watching on the tellie, more out of interest than anything. Can't see him selling tickets though. Sharpo would normally be on a biggish court.

I stick with my MCA 2nd night match prediction(for recovery for Sharpo). Hopefully, Tomic can get to bed on time

That's a tricky one for TA, let's face it, he's going to get murdered but the fans were out there today watching him. I think 2nd MCA match is a good prediction.

Kerber mentioned it today as well and blamed the HQ on her loss.
Wasn’t Kerberos opponent today in HQ too? So level playing field.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

He doesn't play many challenges. People keep writing him off but even though he got a kind draw I don't think many expected him to come through qualifying.

Back