• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
4 days left. Another hot day coming up. the girls back up tmw, Perhaps we finally get a good even day.

Rod Laver Arena -- 11am
Barty-Muchova
NB 1pm: Pegula-Brady
NB 3pm: Rublev-Medvedev

7.30pm
Nadal - Tsitsipas
Dylan Alcott

Think both girls matches should be fun. Muchova is a fun, a mini barty. It won't be just 2 girls blasting the ball. Brady has improved massively while Pegula has beaten some very good players on her run to the first quarter-finalist. Girls are good friends.

Likewise, Rublev and Medvedev are good friends and fresh from an ATP Cup win for Mother Russia. Rublev has been here about a couple of times. He is the only player, post-pandemic, to reach the quarters of all 3 majors. Just haven't been able to take that next step. Lost to Medvedev at the same stage at the US Open. Stefo was the one who defeated him in Paris.

Stefo played Nadal in the 2019 Semi finals, and he was thrashed. But that was the first major that Stefo announced himself by beating Federer. Since then, Nadal has mostly beat him(7-1 record H2H) but most matches have seen each player take a set. Stefo had a break last match, while Nadal has said his back is feeling better. Should be a ripper.

Barty in 3
Pegula in 3

Medvedev in 4
Nadal in 5

I still can't quite wrap my head around what I saw tonight. And no, not from Djokovic, but from Serena. I was a toddler when she was in her first final. I'm now closer to 30 than 20, and she's one win away from being there again. I don't think she'll get there. Osaka is basically just a younger, fitter, and more focused version of Serena. But the mind boggles that she is still getting herself to this stage of a grand slam. The sixth time she has got herself to this stage since an incredibly challenging childbirth. I'm not sure she'll ever get to 24, which is a real shame.

But I feel like she is still adding to her legacy either way. That's still 30 wins in grand slams she has managed to amass with a body that has been put through the ringer, against women who have literally based their games around the template she established, who move faster than her, who can go longer than her, and who now in some cases hit as hard as her. All the while showing class and toughness to fight these wins out. I think she's inspiring more people now with her (potentially-doomed) fight, than if she just got no. 24 out of the way and plowed ahead of everyone as the GOAT.

Hoping for Osaka to smash Serena off the court. Serena doesn't deserve number 24 and the hype sickens me.

Onto today, barty to win in straight sets today
Pegula in 3
Med in 5
Nadal in 4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Os Ash great or her opposition just poor? Guess we'll find out in a few days.

One is ranked 1...one is ranked 25. Basically Muchova is just an ultra worse version of Barty. Was never going to work.

To be fair she wouldn't be a match for anyone the way she's playing right now

Her best match by far. Amazing what happens when she isn’t flat out exhausted playing doubles on her day off like last year...

Don't get me wrong, Ash is all over this and looks great... but Muchova is playing one of the worst matches I've seen

EDIT - Appears to be an injury of some kind, unfortunate.

There is an old saying though “can only play as well as your opponent allows you to”

I understand that but she's missed so many easy forehands in particular that she should've put away.

Barty defends better than anyone on tour. It’s probably her most underrated asset. Therefore forces you to go for more than you need to.

If Ash beats Osaka she'll get a standing ovation in lounge room from me and ultra respect. For now jury is out, although our dog is all in. Huge fan. Watches every ball.

Haha the dog is the star though!

Back