• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
It is fair to say that the last few days have been disappointing. A lot of Straight set matches especially on the girls side. Indeed, if you get rid of the 2 matches Azarenka has had on RLA, no match has gone the distance since day 4 on RLA for the ladies. There has been 4 in total on RLA. 2 involve Azarenka(v Keys and Zhu) and the other 2 involve Jabeur (Zidansek and Vondrousova). Without actually counting, that would make it 4 out of 27(ish) matches.

The girls back up tmw, hence the early starting time for them.

RLA
11AM

Pliskova [30] vs Linette
Sabalenka [5] vs Vekic
Shelton vs Paul

7PM
Rublev [5] vs Djokovic [4]
Mixed Doubles

Mens Draw

[18] Khachanov vs [3] Tsitsipas/Lehecka
---------------------------------------------
Rublev [5] vs Djokovic [4]
Shelton vs Paul

Ladies Draw

[22] Rybakina vs [24] Azarenka
----------------------------------
Pliskova [30] vs Linette
Sabalenka [5] vs Vekic

Pliskova [30] vs Linette 7-2 H2H Pliskova
Linette played very well in forcing Alexandrova to beat herself and even better to beat Garcia. She can get very tight; this is by far the biggest match of her 13-year career, so even if she gets ahead, I am not confident she will stay ahead. Pliskova had a poor year in 2022 for her, hurt by an early injury when she missed the Aus Open last year. She has been out of the limelight this whole tournament, something I think she would not have minded at all. Tennis is a funny sport. These 2 played last year at the US Open in the first round and Pliskova won in 3. going with experience. Pliskova in 2

Sabalenka [5] vs Vekic 5-1 H2H Vekic
Wow, that head-to-head. 3 of those in 2017 but still. I still think Sabelenka, but nowhere near as confident as before I saw the H2H. Just consider the form line in this tournament is a lot better and Vekic has had some bad sets of tennis this last week. Still, tennis is about match-ups and, for some reason, this match-up seems not ideal for Sabalenka. Sabalenka in 3

Shelton vs Paul No H2H
I have no idea who Shelton was before this tournament. His serving has been a highlight. I couldn't tell you one thing about Tommy Paul. So I am just going to go for the older player, who has also beaten the better players this week. One of these players will make a slam semi-final, amazing. Paul in 4

Rublev [5] vs Djokovic [4] 2-1 H2H Djokovic
Hey guys, Rublev has beaten Novak once. Heck, he even did it in Belgrade. Novak has played every night on RLA and was at his scary best last round. Rublev saved match points last round. This is Rublev's 7th Major quarter-final in his career. He hasn't made one semi yet. I don't need to write anymore. Novak in 3

Johnboi

All Australian
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I put $5 on Pliskova to win the tournament over the weekend at $26, just on a gut feeling based on her improved form, injury-free and the openness of the draw. She's now into $10.

Pliskova in 2, just feel she can get enough free points but Magna won't gift it to her like the last 2 opponents. 2 tight sets
Vekic in 3, this is a nightmare draw for Sabs and I expect Donna to make the HTD 6-1 after this match. If you like a flutter Donna HTD is the best value of the day.
Paul in 4, trust Paul more he's pretty solid.
Novak in 3 (maybe 4). Hopefully this is a nice breezy QF.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
A lot of Straight set matches especially on the girls side. Indeed, if you get rid of the 2 matches Azarenka has had on RLA, no match has gone the distance since day 4 on RLA for the ladies.
IMO this is an unfortunate side effect of the way the women's game is going stylistically. So many of the top women (and pretty much all of the remaining players) play all-or-nothing, aggressive power hitting tennis now, so more and more matches are decided by who just happens to be hitting their marks on a given day. The last few days we've seen that really play out.

Second day in a row of me sounding like an old man, but gee, you long for the players that had more variety and could really adjust tactically during the match.

Good lord Pliskova.

That girl does not have the mental edge for tennis I am afraid.

Sascha or no Sascha.

Just when I thought she was being consistent comes out today and hits a million dumb UE’s. Had the break in the first set then the next game hit 4 UE’s to drop serve…and it got worse not better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AdelaideGT

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Every singles match in the last 24 hours or so has been one-way traffic - can we finally get a tough battle in one of today's remaining contests?

Every singles match in the last 24 hours or so has been one-way traffic - can we finally get a tough battle in one of today's remaining contests?
Shelton vs Paul is almost a certainty to be an all american classic 5 setter.

Back