Grand Slam Australian Open (Day 11, Thursday)

Novak v Fed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

giphy.gif

I already do a variation of that - punch the chest twice then do a finger point (crowd or where the goals are!). Pretty sure he did that a few years ago as well :p

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
While we watch to see if the next-gen can make the next step, we can also look forward to the next day......
Women's semi-final day. Simple schedule which stays the same each year. The women play Bo3 sets, it is easier for them to go back to back. Neither Halep or Mugurza had a taxing day so it shouldn't be an issue. Shame that no one will watch our boys in a doubles semi, but that is always the issue for doubles. Plus Novak v Fed in the night...Should be the headline act but.....eh..

Melbourne Forecast.
Temp Max- 39
Sizzling sunshine and hot; caution advised if doing strenuous activities outside........
No Rain
Friday will be 41. The hot weather policy and the wet bulb temperate may be in play.

Rod Laver Arena
Mens Doubles Semi-Final (4th seeds v Purcell and Saville 11 AM Start)
Barty (1) v Kenin (14) (Not Before 2:00 PM)
Halep (4) v Muguruza (Not Before 3:30 PM)
NIGHT
Federer (3) v Djokovic (2) (7:30 PM Start)
Legends Doubles

I think the drama will be in the Barty game. I think it will be tense. Whenever Kenin and Barty have played (4-1 to Barty), it has been close. Kenin is not the type of player to shy away from the pressure or make things easy. She will stay in points, play angles and force Barty to beat her. The other semi could be anything. 2 great players, who, on their day can either run down every ball hit or hit winners from anywhere. Halep and Barty for me.

I don't like using gambling odds as part of a preview but I will here as I think it tells the story of how much of an underdog the Fed-man is.. Federer is at the same odds as Raonic was($1.12) to beat Novak. It is hard to see any hope for Fed, with the way he is playing, to beat Novak, with the way he has been playing.

Barty (1) v Kenin (14) (Not Before 2:00 PM)

Who I want to win: Barty in 3 sets

Who I think will win: Kenin - poised for an upset day

Halep (4) v Muguruza (Not Before 3:30 PM)

Who I want (and think) will win: Halep unless she has an extremely off day

Federer (3) v Djokovic (2) (7:30 PM Start)

Who I want (and think) will win:

Djokovic in straight sets.
Federer is under an injury cloud which should only make Novak's path to the final a hell of a lot easier.

Federer is underdog, it's unaustralian to not support him this match

LOL

Supporting him would be like supporting Geelong.... no thanks :D

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Barty Vs. Kenin will be nervy and trying at times, but I'm confident Barty can get it done. The young American women are frankly terrifying as a gen, but fraction too early for Kenin imo. As a final 4 she is up against 3 no.1 slam winners who know how to get the job done, and recently.

Halep-Muguruza - seems a bit like the prior examples for Barty, #1 players that won the FO then backed up with Wimbledon the following year. Both look to be in good form at the moment from what I've seen. Given Barty's homegrown pressure, I'd have Halep as slight favourite for the tournament right now, although it has the feel of a Muguruza final run to me here.

I think anything less than $3 would be flattering to Fed. There IS something last-slam-assault about his fortunate run, we've previously seen other old legends make similarly deep runs in their final competitive majors. But beating Djokovic would be quite the upset. Given Thiem-Zverev have a reasonable chance against Djokovic in the final (not a terrible matchup with a few big wins under their belts), I'm already looking forwards to that, and just hoping Fed doesn't play like a mug here.

Last edited:
Saville and Purcell currently taking on Dodig and Polasek in a doubles semi final. Unfortunately it's not being shown on TV but it's 5-4 on serve in the first set.

Glad it’s not apart from the Bryan Brothers men’s doubles are an absolute bore...big serves get to tie breakers...

The mixed doubles and women’s doubles are better as there are breaks of serve

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Federer/Djokovic has not finished in straight sets in a Grand Slam for a while now... More than likely will go to 4 but hoping for 5.

He’s flopping sets to Tenny though jeez. I’m going to the match and I’m already thinking it’s a $400 waste of money

ItsGameTime

Cancelled
Jan 29, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He’s flopping sets to Tenny though jeez. I’m going to the match and I’m already thinking it’s a $400 waste of money

Tenny did well this tournament to be fair. Beat Berrettini and Fognini. Only lost to Federer. So losing a set or two to him is not a bad thing.

Tenny did well this tournament to be fair. Beat Berrettini and Fognini. Only lost to Federer. So losing a set or two to him is not a bad thing.

Can you imagine how many sets Novak would drop to Tenny...it would be likely 0. As I said I hope you are right from the ticket point of view...I’m expecting a straight sets rout

ItsGameTime

Cancelled
Jan 29, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can you imagine how many sets Novak would drop to Tenny...it would be likely 0. As I said I hope you are right from the ticket point of view...I’m expecting a straight sets rout

Those tickets are not cheap.

I was considering going tomorrow but just looked at the prices and some are $660 dollars?? Yeah, no thanks.

Those tickets are not cheap.

I was considering going tomorrow but just looked at the prices and some are $660 dollars?? Yeah, no thanks.

Going tomorrow night, and the two big finals. Been good to go to most of the big sessions this week. Weirdly looKing forward to Friday the most now.

Back