Grand Slam Australian Open - Day 11 (Women's Semi-Finals)

The Womens Final will be?

• Barty vs. Collins

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Barty vs. Swiatek

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • Keys vs. Collins

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Keys vs. Swiatek

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
The girls are backing up, which will help Collins as Swiatek was on the court for 3 gruelling, hard-hitting hours. She was on the court 1 hour longer than Tsitsipas.....The Day session has the Special K's and Dylan Alcott, which leads into a Barty Party.

Weather:34. Humid. Chance of a thunderstorm in the morning and evening. Winds 30-45, which won't be a factor in RLA.

Rod Laver Arena
2:30 PM
(Not before)
Kokkinakis/Kyrgios [WC] vs. Granollers/Zeballos [3]
3:30 PM (Not before)
Alcott [1] vs. Schroder [2]

MCA
2:30PM (estimate)
Ebden/Purcell vs Ram/Salisbury [2]

7:30 PM (Not before) (H2H)
[1] Barty vs. Keys. (Barty 2-1)
[27] Collins vs.[7] Swiatek (Swiatek 1-0)

Barty's form is unreal. She is 9-0 this year and has only dropped one set in her first match this year. She went through a record run of not losing serve and she has not been broken in 7 matches this year. She, on average, have lost 1.7 games a set this Australian Open and only Anisimova won 4 games or more. The last time Barty was in an Aus Open semi-final, she lost, surprisingly to Kenin in 2 tight sets, who went on to win it in 2020. Keys has won 10 matches in a row and has nearly won as many matches this year already as last year. She is a way better player than her ranking and has one of the most powerful shots on the WTA. Keys most recent finals have been in Australia with a loss in Brisbane in 2020 and a win in Adelaide in 2022. She also made the semis at the Aus Open in 2015. Keys was tested by Wang in the 3rd round(7-6 in the last) but that has been the only match she has dropped a set in. Still, Barty is a heavy favourite. The last time they played was the quarter-final of the 2019 French Open. They also played indoors(IIRC) at the fed cup in the same year in the BLK Cup. Barty won both in straight. tipping Barty in 2 tight sets.

Collins is in her 2nd semi-final at the Aus Open. The last time she was here, she(or the weather) had Kvitova on the ropes before it got too hot, which resulted in a 2nd set bagel from indoor Kvitova back in 2019. She has had some impressive wins this tournament against Konjuh, Tauson and Mertens. They are not easy beats. And she has come from a set down in 2 of those. Importantly, she won her match v Cornet quickly(not so Mertens or Tauson), a stark contrast to Swiatek. Swiatek's last 3 matches have been tough. Though she beat Kasalkina in 2 and 3, that match still went 90 mins. Cirstea took 150 mins while Kanepi took 180 mins. Swiatek form has been good, making the semi's of Adelaide(which she won last year) before losing to Barty. I just think that last match, with just over 24 hours to rest, against an opponent which will fight and claw and yell for every point might be the difference. One previous head to head in Adelaide last year. Swiatek was winning 6-3, 3-0 before Collins retired(the story of her season last year) Collins in 3

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
Thank God we don't have to listen to Todd mention for the 100th millionth time that Sinner moves on the court like he's skiing on the Swiss Alps and that re.. ade re.. ade re.. Tsitsipas made his game look like it had more holes than a block of Swiss cheese mate.. Swiss Alps re.. no worries re.. agh sto.. go back and hit the gym mate.. go back and hit the gym mate.. that's it mate.. forget about it mate.

Anyways.. good luck to the lads today.. not that they'll need it and that re.. the Kokk and the King.. on Rod Laver.. in front of 15k or whatever and that re............ no worries re.. no worries re.. game over mate.. game over mate.. that's it mate.. fooorget about it mate.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
A bit taken aback by the schedule.

Who’s idea was it to have the first men’s semi final on Friday afternoon rather than the traditional Thursday night?
To celebrate the 100th year of women competition at the Australian open, they decided to put the semis on at prime time.

I'm a fan of both men having similar amount of time off heading into the final.

Who’s idea was it to have the first men’s semi final on Friday afternoon rather than the traditional Thursday night?

Think it makes sense actually.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
Todd was probably disappointed that Sinner lost lol

I was like.. this guy mate.. this guy mate.. slalom move here.. bobsled move there.. bunny sloped it here.. French fried it there.. Todd was getting a woody over it re.. every point re.. every point re.. I'm like.. f chillax mate.. chillax mate.. did my head in mate.. unbelievable mate.

Nov 16, 2004
Location Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne

Was announced last year so both finalists have basically same amount of time before final

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

Yep, not a fan at all.

It may work this year for nine and the sponsors because Barty is in one of the semis, however going forward if there isn’t an Aussie in the semi of the womens draw, the pull to watch a womens semi at night wouldn’t be as great. A mens semi is much more enticing and an event.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the womens semis this year are great. I’m looking forward to both!

But why do women now get afforded the luxury to play a 2hr match in cooler conditions?

The Berretini-Nadal final in all likelihood could be a 3-4hr marathon in the heat of the day, whereas Medvedev-tsisy have slightly easier environment? I think this is more of an advantage for the winner of the second match.

If the #1 seed were here, his match would be in the day. That’s not an advantage for being #1.

I suppose on the flip side, it gives us something to look forward to Friday arvo, when there traditionally hasn’t in the second week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, not a fan at all.

It may work this year for nine and the sponsors because Barty is in one of the semis, however going forward if there isn’t an Aussie in the semi of the womens draw, the pull to watch a womens semi at night wouldn’t be as great. A mens semi is much more enticing and an event.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the womens semis this year are great. I’m looking forward to both!

But why do women now get afforded the luxury to play a 2hr match in cooler conditions?

The Berretini-Nadal final in all likelihood could be a 3-4hr marathon in the heat of the day, whereas Medvedev-tsisy have slightly easier environment? I think this is more of an advantage for the winner of the second match.

If the #1 seed were here, his match would be in the day. That’s not an advantage for being #1.

I suppose on the flip side, it gives us something to look forward to Friday arvo, when there traditionally hasn’t in the second week

To be fair the trade off was the longer break heading into that day semi.

Dud tournament referee Dud Schedule Dud Tournament, this whole AO has been flat as a tack, apart from Barty making another good run in the tournament there literally has been nothing else good these past 2 weeks.

Less top liners does that unfortunately not just Novak, we had Federer, Thiem, Williams sisters all missing.

Dud tournament referee Dud Schedule Dud Tournament, this whole AO has been flat as a tack, apart from Barty making another good run in the tournament there literally has been nothing else good these past 2 weeks.

Been watching a different tournament?

Been watching a different tournament?

Apart from last night how many really great matches have there been? Seems a LOT less this year. Actually tend to agree it’s fine but it’s not a memorable grand slam this year

danstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
my vision of the tournament might be slightly coloured in the sense i didnt see much of the Medvedev v FAA match. But a tournament should be more then 1 or 2 memorable matches, it should be several memorable matches that get you coming back day after day after day. I havent felt the pull, i have been watching but it hasnt really grabbed my attention as much as previous years

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Interesting that the quad wheelchair tennis final gets RLA but the wheelchair tennis final is out on court 8.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
After the will he wont he saga of Djokovic everything seems very mundane

Back