• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Semi-final Thursday. Going super early but watching Rublev getting murdered on court has me looking forward to tomorrow and Osaka v Williams. Its another hot one, hopefully not a factor.

Main matches tmw:
2pm
Serena Williams vs. Naomi Osaka
Karolina Muchova vs. Jennifer Brady

7.30pm
Novak Djokovic vs. Aslan Karatsev

We have 3 of the 4 semi-finalists women from the US Open. The odd one out, Muchova, lost at the US to Azarenka in 3 sets in the r.16, who then beat Mertens, which is what Muchova did here. Symmetry in a way.

So, Serena v Osaka is a potential generational match. It could be an official end and start of a new era, or the continuation of the current one. Its the Queen v the Heir Apparent. The 2 best players in these last 2 weeks. Blockbuster doesn't even come close. It the best match on the schedule tmw. Balls will be smashed and Serena will need all that defence she has shown in the last 2 matches. For me, Naomi will make a statement win.

The other match is exciting for both of the players. A chance for a first slam final. Brady made the US semis last year, so she has been there, lost that. But it was close v Osaka that day, a ripping match. Muchova would probably want to start a bit faster and not find herself down 4-0 or 5-0 in a set, like the last 3. Muchova especially would be hoping the first match goes long and takes the heat out of the sun(cough MTO). I like Brady
maxresdefault.jpg

In the prime time match. We have the qualifier from Narnia, world number 114, the breaker of a crap ton of records, and at his first-ever open, Aslan Karatsev, V the person everyone loves/loves to hate, 8-time champion, never lost at this stage at an Aus open before and world number 1, Novak Djokovic. Let's be honest, it would be a fairy tale if the 27-year-old Russian can beat the best player ever on these courts. Something for a children's book. can't see it, but sport can be shocking and I hope it is again.

Osaka in 2
Brady in 3
Novak in 3

And

YEAH!!!!!!

Semi-final Thursday. Going super early but watching Rublev getting murdered on court has me looking forward to tomorrow and Osaka v Williams. Its another hot one, hopefully not a factor.

Main matches tmw:
2pm
Serena Williams vs. Naomi Osaka
Karolina Muchova vs. Jennifer Brady

7.30pm
Novak Djokovic vs. Aslan Karatsev

We have 3 of the 4 semi-finalists women from the US Open. The odd one out, Muchova, lost at the US to Azarenka in 3 sets in the r.16, who then beat Mertens, which is what Muchova did here. Symmetry in a way.

So, Serena v Osaka is a potential generational match. It could be an official end and start of a new era, or the continuation of the current one. Its the Queen v the Heir Apparent. The 2 best players in these last 2 weeks. Blockbuster doesn't even come close. It the best match on the schedule tmw. Balls will be smashed and Serena will need all that defence she has shown in the last 2 matches. For me, Naomi will make a statement win.

The other match is exciting for both of the players. A chance for a first slam final. Brady made the US semis last year, so she has been there, lost that. But it was close v Osaka that day, a ripping match. Muchova would probably want to start a bit faster and not find herself down 4-0 or 5-0 in a set, like the last 3. Muchova especially would be hoping the first match goes long and takes the heat out of the sun(cough MTO). I like Brady
maxresdefault.jpg

In the prime time match. We have the qualifier from Narnia, world number 114, the breaker of a crap ton of records, and at his first-ever open, Aslan Karatsev, V the person everyone loves/loves to hate, 8-time champion, never lost at this stage at an Aus open before and world number 1, Novak Djokovic. Let's be honest, it would be a fairy tale if the 27-year-old Russian can beat the best player ever on these courts. Something for a children's book. can't see it, but sport can be shocking and I hope it is again.

Osaka in 2
Brady in 3
Novak in 3

And

YEAH!!!!!!

I like the Narnia reference 😊.

Hopefully all the players are fit to play. Can't wait for a great game with crowd in the house.

NetworkNerd

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
AFL Member so all clubs I guess.
5 years of bank interest.... Djokovic is paying 1.05.

They should make Djokovic play left handed to at least make it interesting.

For the women's... Whoever wins out of Osaka v Williams will win the title. If it goes to 3 sets Osaka will win.

Don't forget the Mixed Doubles. 2 Aussie teams today in Stosur/Ebden and Polmans/Sanders!

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Aslan Karatsev making a grand slam semi final is actually ridiculous isn't it? He's made just over US$600k in prizemoney (both singles and doubles) in his close to 10 year career and is going to get about US$660k just from this tournament even if he loses tonight.

Fair enough he had some luck along his run in this tournament but to think he'd only won 3 matches on the main tour in his whole career before this.

If I'm not mistaken to give enough rest time for both finalist as well as giving enough matches to the day session ticket holders.

The rest time would be exactly the same as normal if the women played at night. It'd be two sleeps. That's all they usually get. Not sure why it needs to be different for a final. And the match time of two women matches is nearly the equivalent of one men's match, so I reckon the day session crowd will get around the same amount of viewing time as the night session crowd.

It doesn't really matter at the end of the day, I just think the scheduling shouldn't be quite so rigid, to allow for occasions like this, where you have the two most recognisable players on the women's tour playing each other, while on the men's side, the world no. 1 is playing an unseeded opponent.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Aslan Karatsev making a grand slam semi final is actually ridiculous isn't it? He's made just over US$600k in prizemoney (both singles and doubles) in his close to 10 year career and is going to get about US$660k just from this tournament even if he loses tonight.

Fair enough he had some luck along his run in this tournament but to think he'd only won 3 matches on the main tour in his whole career before this.
Ridiculous isn’t it. Can only play who you have in front of you. He’s been fit, outstretched Dimitrov. Astonishing thing Is he has leapt 70 places into the top 40 from 110. More opportunities in Grand Slam draws now.
Better ranked then Kyrgios..

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Yeah, this is how the AO has scheduled the last 4-5 days for a while. They ticketed the sessions as

Thursday- Women's semis
Night Men's semi 1

Friday night
Men's semi 2

Sat
Women's final

Sun
Men's final.

I say it is because of ratings and maybe tickets. The fact that the men outrate the women if all things equal and you can sell 2 different sessions for each men semi. But that gap is much smaller than what it was and in this extreme case, it showcases that a change is needed. To allow more flexibility. The match of the day is Osaka v Serena. IF Barty had made it, she would have outrated anything else. Aslan is a $10 chance to win.. It is extreme, as we have a dud night match most likely, and a huge match which a lot of people will miss it :(. I was a fan of AO schedule before but I think they need to change now.

Need to copy what the US Open does

that is (IIRC)
Thursday Night
2 Semi-Final night women

Friday Twilight (say 4-5 pm)
2 Semi-Final Men

That way, you still get your big matches at night, no loss there and all players get to play in the night(ish). The men also get the same break time for the final, which isn't a huge factor. You could even sell 2 different tickets for the men, like what the French were planning to do. And since it is Friday night, a long men's session could be epic. If you have the Super Duper Match ending Tiebreak, there is a limit on how late the 2nd match can start.

In the US, with this schedule. the women semis normally outrate the men. Time for a change.

Ridiculous isn’t it. Can only play who you have in front of you. He’s been fit, outstretched Dimitrov. Astonishing thing Is he has leapt 70 places into the top 40 from 110. More opportunities in Grand Slam draws now.
Better ranked then Kyrgios..
Felix had the opportunity to beat Aslan, leading 2 sets
Plus, Aslan also def Diego so his draw has not been easy.

Aslan has set himself up for year, guaranteed entry in GS. Good effort. At least, he is working hard whereas Nick K assumes he is already a top player without playing much.

The rest time would be exactly the same as normal if the women played at night. It'd be two sleeps. That's all they usually get. Not sure why it needs to be different for a final. And the match time of two women matches is nearly the equivalent of one men's match, so I reckon the day session crowd will get around the same amount of viewing time as the night session crowd.

It doesn't really matter at the end of the day, I just think the scheduling shouldn't be quite so rigid, to allow for occasions like this, where you have the two most recognisable players on the women's tour playing each other, while on the men's side, the world no. 1 is playing an unseeded opponent.

US coverage would want the match during the day though. Plus whether you like it or not Novak would STILL rate more in Australia, one match goes for an hour, the mens match goes double that and that's if it's straight sets.

i hope this is a good match.

I would love to watch it in full but you know, middle of the day, things to do. Sigh. Change it Aus Open.

The current schedule is fine. The men’s semis are better at night

Back