Remove this Banner Ad

Stax on the mill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Used to be?
Used to be as in what? 2009 when she threatened to shove a ball down a lineswoman's throat?
As recently as the 2018 US Open she was throwing a fit because the umpire gave her a coaching violation and laughably accused him of being a racist. She worded it along the lines of "You're penalizing me on MY COURT?!"
Barely offered any congratulations to Osaka, who absolutely obliterated her in front of her idiotic American crowd.

Serena Williams was, and still is a disgraceful sportsman.
I’m in total agreement with you that she’s a lousy sport and always has been. Her 2018 US Open performance was one of the most disgusting and obnoxious examples of poor sportsmanship and behaviour I have ever witnessed. Generally though she is not as bad in the sportsmanship area as she used to be. I’m not sure your 2009 example strengthens your case of recent poor behaviour. That’s 12 years ago.

I have vivid memories of Serena routinely calling injury breaks at crucial times in big matches, usually when she was under pressure or losing. This seemed to be with the intention of disrupting her opponents momentum, and it generally worked. She doesn’t seem to do that as frequently.

I also remember that Serena was notorious on the occasions that she lost a match for making excuses, not giving credit to her opponent, or saying she played under difficulty due to injury. Again, correct me if I’m wrong, she has got a bit better in that regard. But, on the whole I agree with you, and I’m delighted that Osaka won.

Edit: Maybe I was too hasty. From catstorm’s post it sounds like Serena was up to her old trick of making excuses after this match.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sempfy

Team Captain
Jun 18, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Didn't watch the Osaka/Williams final since I dislike both but if one had to win I'm glad it was Osaka. Can't see Brady getting anywhere near her though.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Bad luck Muchova and I am not liking this Brady girl. Seems like an arrogant twat.

Hope Osaka destroys her in the final.
not sure about arrogant. But i doubt it. But she is the current doubles partner of Barty.

And she is an interesting story. Was stuck in the 50-80 ranking and felt that wasn't good enough. So, unlike a lot of Yanks, she moved to Germany and went outside the USTA tennis system and trained really really hard in the offseason of 19-20. Since then, she has played like a top ranked player. She is a good story of hard work which pays dividends.

not sure about arrogant. But i doubt it. But she is the current doubles partner of Barty.

And she is an interesting story. Was stuck in the 50-80 ranking and felt that wasn't good enough. So, unlike a lot of Yanks, she moved to Germany and went outside the USTA tennis system and trained really really hard in the offseason of 19-20. Since then, she has played like a top ranked player. She is a good story of hard work which pays dividends.

Not disputing that just something about her attitude I don’t like!

Just seems like an arrogant cow.

This is just my perception though and each to their own.

Back